The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > paramount we have a problem,,,
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 11-13-2008, 12:39 PM
Livingston's Avatar
Livingston Livingston is offline
Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Along the Kessel Run
Posts: 4,964
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
How would the Shat draw new fans to Trek? Shat is old Trek. Do you think non fans of Trek will become fans of trek because Shat has a cameo? Let me guess, people will say "Wow, I heard Shatner, the guy from Boston Legal, has a small part in the new Star Trek movie. I love his character on Boston Legal so I better watch this new movie!!" See how silly that sounds
Yeah, that sound silly, about as silly as saying, "Paul McCartney was that guy from Wings."
__________________


"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 11-13-2008, 12:43 PM
MrQ1701's Avatar
MrQ1701 MrQ1701 is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Espanola, New Mexico
Posts: 3,940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
Yeah, that sound silly, about as silly as saying, "Paul McCartney was that guy from Wings."
That's my point. How many Shat fans aren't aware that he played Kirk? Even if people are fans of Shats based on his current TV roles, they won't go watch a new Trek movie based solely on the fact he is in it (cameo?). Now if Oprah was the new Uhura....
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 11-13-2008, 12:45 PM
Livingston's Avatar
Livingston Livingston is offline
Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Along the Kessel Run
Posts: 4,964
Default

If Oprah was the new Uhura, we'd all get free cars on opening night!
__________________


"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 11-13-2008, 12:47 PM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,046
Default

Not in a credit crunch - probably just a hamburger!!
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 11-13-2008, 01:22 PM
mmoore's Avatar
mmoore mmoore is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: OKUSA
Posts: 1,973
Default

Some of us older fans forget that there is a whole new generation that may not realize that Denny Crane and Capt Kirk are the same actor.
__________________
"Are you out of your Vulcan mind?"
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 11-13-2008, 01:24 PM
MrQ1701's Avatar
MrQ1701 MrQ1701 is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Espanola, New Mexico
Posts: 3,940
Default

Do you think Oprah fans that never showed any interest in Trek would watch the new movie to see her performance? That was what I was getting at. The free car is just icing on the cake!
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 11-13-2008, 05:11 PM
Big D's Avatar
Big D Big D is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,112
Default

I have a friend who enjoys Boston Legal and was fairly shocked to learn that Crane is, in fact, Captain Kirk. Not because she was unfamiliar with Trek, but because he just looks and sounds so different from Kirk now.

I don't think many people would see see a movie merely because of a William Shatner cameo, though. At least, it wouldn't likely be their sole motivation.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 11-13-2008, 05:17 PM
The Saint's Avatar
The Saint The Saint is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,574
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore View Post
Let's hope he doesn't stay home. I can't wait for the review.
How could it possibly make a difference? A review, I mean. This place is packed to the rafters with people who -- and this isn't attack, it's a valid observation based on 80+% of the posts right out in plain sight -- have as much as stated that we should "just be glad there's a movie" and "be open minded" and the like... so even if it is an irrevocable disaster, will any of you say so even then?

The signs that it will be are right in front of you now and you refuse to acknowledge them, so what difference will it make?
__________________
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 11-13-2008, 05:21 PM
mmoore's Avatar
mmoore mmoore is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: OKUSA
Posts: 1,973
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
How could it possibly make a difference? A review, I mean. This place is packed to the rafters with people who -- and this isn't attack, it's a valid observation based on 80+% of the posts right out in plain sight -- have as much as stated that we should "just be glad there's a movie" and "be open minded" and the like... so even if it is an irrevocable disaster, will any of you say so even then?

The signs that it will be are right in front of you now and you refuse to acknowledge them, so what difference will it make?
I'll have a good laugh.
__________________
"Are you out of your Vulcan mind?"
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 11-13-2008, 05:22 PM
Saquist's Avatar
Saquist Saquist is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 11,257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesustrek View Post
'I have done a movie for the future fans of Star Trek, not for the old' J.J. Abrams, today in Spain.

elmundo.es


-The director and producer was fan in his youth of 'The Star Wars' but never he was him of 'Star Trek'-

I'am a Old Fan, and I do not want STAR TREK that be as,,,,SW, ok ?

admirer that trusted that never involved to a"SW", in a projectof STAR TREK, maybe that be the first one and time finalizes it.


Jesus Salinas, Mexico.
http://http://www.elmundo.es/elmundo...226526290.html

Firstly....

As a Representative, and as an Admiral of Starbase Houston....
I flag you for a bad use NASA's Greatest Line to Movies....

Penalty:
Half the distance to the goal...FIRST DOWN.

Secondly....
I know all this is giving fans the hee-bee gee-bee's....
I know the ship was....parady in CGI...

but give it a chance.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:03 PM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.