The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Will the Fans of Star Trek cause it's demise?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 11-13-2008, 10:19 AM
The Saint's Avatar
The Saint The Saint is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,574
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
We have been designated "BOO BIRDS" , "PURIST" for having good taste...NIEN! For having any taste at all!

How foul...

Oh...how shall one counter-attack this FIRST STRIKE on the discriminating pallete?
It's as though normal people have gone Trek-DRUNK!
I'm just, you know, kind of astounded that so many people on a Star Trek site hold fans of Star Trek in such contempt. Boggles the mind.
__________________
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-13-2008, 10:31 AM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,046
Default

Not contempt in the least. It's all just personal approach and opinion to what the film represents. But an ever reducing core only fanbase will not keep Trek going, because it won't be financially viable without attracting a wider base. It'll die that way regardless of anything else.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-13-2008, 11:49 AM
MissionTrek08's Avatar
MissionTrek08 MissionTrek08 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
Star Trek fans aren't killing Star Trek by leaving. Star Trek's rein holders are killing Star Trek by leaving the fans.
On the other hand, all motion is relative, and there are indeed a number of fans freely admitting today that they have stopped in their tracks and will refuse to follow TREK into next May or beyond, without even giving the final film a fair look.

Indeed, those fans are leaving themselves behind in self-exile. It's their right to do so, naturally, but that choice is not TREK's fault nor the new filmmakers' responsibility.
__________________

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK


Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-13-2008, 11:57 AM
The Saint's Avatar
The Saint The Saint is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,574
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
On the other hand, all motion is relative, and there are indeed a number of fans freely admitting today that they have stopped in their tracks and will refuse to follow TREK into next May or beyond, without even giving the final film a fair look.

Indeed, those fans are leaving themselves behind in self-exile. It's their right to do so, naturally, but that choice is not TREK's fault nor the new filmmakers' responsibility.
And why are we doing that? Because the product is unsatisfactory. Who's responsible for the quality of the product? Oh, yes, that's right -- the filmmakers.

When an automaker produces an unpopular vehicle, no one claims it's the public's fault that it doesn't sell. Abrams has as much as admitted that he's not producing this film for Star Trek fans. That's like Ford coming out with a car, but, oh Gosh, they're not making it for people who like cars. Claiming that people who like cars are to blame if it doesn't sell is about the equivalent of what you're doing here, and it makes absolutely no sense. O.o
__________________
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-13-2008, 11:57 AM
MrQ1701's Avatar
MrQ1701 MrQ1701 is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Espanola, New Mexico
Posts: 3,940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T'Aerwynd View Post
I think you're wrong. People are losing the fundamental truths of Trek in the trivial details of a movie -- a "can't see the forest for the trees" scenario at its worst. I have said it many times before, but once more won't kill me: Trek is bigger than ship design, uniform design, who went to the Academy with who and when, etc. Trek (in all its incarnations) is the stories, the people, the wonder of exploring the unknown. It is literally the embodiment of everything humanity has thought since the first erect humans looked up at the stars and wondered what the heck they were and what was out there. The trivial details of a movie, the overzealous canon purists ... they won't change what Trek is at its most fundamental.
I agree with you 100%, But I also know what I like and dislike. I dislike the new bridge, it will make me gag when I see it for the first time on the bigscreen. The new E didn't sit well with me either when I first saw it, now it seems to have grown on me a bit. Trivial details ARE irrelevant. MAJOR details are important. Most arguments are about what is trivial and what is major.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-13-2008, 12:02 PM
MissionTrek08's Avatar
MissionTrek08 MissionTrek08 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
And why are we doing that? Because the product is unsatisfactory. Who's responsible for the quality of the product? Oh, yes, that's right -- the filmmakers.
Time and again the point returns to the fact that you haven't seen the product yet.

You've already expressed that you don't need to see the film to judge it, and that's your right. But accordingly I can't help but put less faith in your argument to persuade on the points you make, because it's admittedly based on incomplete data.

I'm sure there will be fans who take the same approach as you are, and they won't be in the theater next May. They'll have stayed behind willingly, even at the expensve of proving their opinions correct by seeing the film.

That is their choice... but one not to be blamed on anyone else.
__________________

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK


Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-13-2008, 12:14 PM
HRH The KING's Avatar
HRH The KING HRH The KING is offline
Lieutenant Commander
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Royal Estates
Posts: 733
Default

Poor writing will cause Star Trek's demise.

The fans can't be blamed for that.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-13-2008, 01:51 PM
martok2112's Avatar
martok2112 martok2112 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: River Ridge, LA
Posts: 6,458
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH The KING View Post
Poor writing will cause Star Trek's demise.

The fans can't be blamed for that.
Indeed.

It's been said that Insurrection had enough of a return to warrant a tenth movie, thus it was. Nemesis was the result. It split fandom in half. You either loved it or hated it. And it certainly did not make enough of a return to warrant an 11th movie. Yet, that is what's happening.

Fans turning their back on something they've pre-deemed to be unsatisfactory is one thing.


Fans accusing other fans of not being fans just because they don't share the same dogmatic views.....that's self-destruction right there. No movie is needed to fracture a fanbase, because the fanbase isn't mature enough to sustain itself anymore. Trek will live on without the fanbase.
__________________


Last edited by martok2112 : 11-13-2008 at 02:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-13-2008, 02:40 PM
martok2112's Avatar
martok2112 martok2112 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: River Ridge, LA
Posts: 6,458
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
TV series might hinge on a strong fanbase which stays with them even when the network shifts the series slot, blockbusters make money with a general audience. And I guess they just wanna see a good movie.
QFT!!!! QFT!!!! QFT!!!!
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:58 AM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.