The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Will the Fans of Star Trek cause it's demise?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2008, 08:06 AM
Rear Admiral

Post Will the Fans of Star Trek cause it's demise?

A darkness has befallen the Trek Universe. A small group of supporters have been blindsided it seems by an onslaught of verbal venom spewed from zealots with a narrow focus on the future of a legacy. I realize that everyone has thier opinion and is entitled to it. I just can't help but feel from the avalanche of negative responce from fans ...that Star Trek has met its boundries and has no more room to grow. Thus ending an era all because the fans have drawn the line on the new.

What do you all think?

Last edited by CAPTAIN MOUSE : 11-13-2008 at 08:08 AM. Reason: to invite a responce
Old 11-13-2008, 08:14 AM
Lieutenant

I think you're wrong. People are losing the fundamental truths of Trek in the trivial details of a movie -- a "can't see the forest for the trees" scenario at its worst. I have said it many times before, but once more won't kill me: Trek is bigger than ship design, uniform design, who went to the Academy with who and when, etc. Trek (in all its incarnations) is the stories, the people, the wonder of exploring the unknown. It is literally the embodiment of everything humanity has thought since the first erect humans looked up at the stars and wondered what the heck they were and what was out there. The trivial details of a movie, the overzealous canon purists ... they won't change what Trek is at its most fundamental.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:38 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by T'Aerwynd View Post
I think you're wrong. People are losing the fundamental truths of Trek in the trivial details of a movie -- a "can't see the forest for the trees" scenario at its worst. I have said it many times before, but once more won't kill me: Trek is bigger than ship design, uniform design, who went to the Academy with who and when, etc. Trek (in all its incarnations) is the stories, the people, the wonder of exploring the unknown. It is literally the embodiment of everything humanity has thought since the first erect humans looked up at the stars and wondered what the heck they were and what was out there. The trivial details of a movie, the overzealous canon purists ... they won't change what Trek is at its most fundamental.

i agree with u completely,lets not fight among us for ship design etc etc.
we trek fans are better than this,lets just watch the movie ok?
Old 11-13-2008, 08:52 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

ok
Old 11-13-2008, 08:56 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrek79 View Post
i agree with u completely,lets not fight among us for ship design etc etc.
we trek fans are better than this,lets just watch the movie ok?
I see your point. However do you think the "purist fan" will ultimately support the new film and eventually see the trees once again?
Old 11-13-2008, 09:15 AM
Vice Admiral

i believe that abrams has caught our pulse,i support him completely,as for the purists all i have to say for them,its time to drop some water into their wine,stop the whining,and have faith to abrams
Old 11-13-2008, 09:29 AM
Ensign

I posted this on another thread

I'm from the UK and the same thing happened to Doctor Who (which remember is the oldest, longest running most succesful sci fi series on tv ever!!)

They changed everything even the sacred Tardis (though they didnt change the exterior I'll grant you that)

Doctor Who was in the same place as Star Trek is now, dead in the water.
We had dvd's, reruns on satellite channels but us fans were thought of as nerdy and sad.

Then they brought us new WHO and its become more succesful than it was before!!!
It even made the news on all channels at prime time when he was supposedly going to regenerate.

nobody complains because we are just grateful that its become COOL again and the fall out from it is is that the CLASSIC series is more popular than its ever been because all the kids want to see the old ones.

We original fans still have our CLassic series (and to be honest I think they are better) but you also have the option to watch all new Who if you want.

So go see this film and if you dont like it you dont have to buy the dvd or go see any more and you can watch all the classic episodes every day for ever.

And it can live alongside this new improved Trek in harmony just like the Star Trek universe should be.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:31 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

At the moment the reson WHY I feel a lot of fans are reacting the way they are is simply because they have nothing really to go on. Apart from a few pictures that have been released over the past few weeks. The fans know that it's going to be different from what everyone expects and now with the release of the pic of the Enterprise. A lot of people are worried about change. Don't forget pnly A very small number of people in the world have had the privalege of seeing some footage. So only they can give their opinion on what it's going to be like.
I understand where the fans are coming from. Infact If I didn't have the pleasure of seeing the footage myself then I think maybe I too would react in a similer way (maybe not as drastic as some have)
After tomorrow when the rest of the world gets to finally see what Trek is going to be like I think a lot of fans will calm down and realise. THIS ISNT GOING TO BE BAD AT ALL. Once again, I'll say this. Wait untill you see the trailer and some footage.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:34 AM
Rear Admiral

I really do agree with you Jtrek. I think JJ has done a masterful job so far.I am dying to see the trailor and movie as well. Maybe you are right this thread was just born out of my own paranoia. I just do not wish to see a great thing like Star Trek disappear into the night just because some one said the word "boycott." I guess I just wanted some positive feedback as well.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:37 AM
Captain

I dun know, Captain Mouse. First of all, Star Trek fans come from so many different backgrounds, different countries, different cultures, generations, political sides... impossible to reach a consensus. And who really would want a consensus anyway? Consensus is lame, unreal, impossible to reach no matter what the subject is. Wherever there is a consensus there will also be something foul. I dont trust consensus.

However, the fact that some fans dont like the new ship... wasnt that to be expected?

I dont like the ship either. I hate it. It makes me sick. Not for being new, just for hurting my eyes. Looking at it feels like watching someone puting his own shoulder out of joint and back again - its sickening.
But thats me and my very personal taste.

Whenever there is something new you will have people that like it and people that hate it. It just sucks to be the one that hates the new thing.

However, I do love what I hear about the story of the movie so far. Means, I may love the movie for the characters, the adventure the story.

But this ship? Lets see. As soon as I get used to the sight of a human shoulder put out of joint I will let you folks know.