The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > I See Red!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How Worried Are You?
not worried at all, love what I see 37 63.79%
a little worried, things aren't looking right 11 18.97%
very worried, what are they thinking 7 12.07%
beyond worry, I'll never see this thing 3 5.17%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-13-2008, 05:09 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcrawford View Post
I remember well when TMP came out, as a kid I thought that the new Enterprise was the coolest thing I had ever seen, I did not care about the fact that it looked different, the same is true of the bridge and the Klingon ships. Granted I did not care for the uniforms, but then that was not the point of the film

Is the Abrams class Enterprise exactly as I would have designed it? No, but then there is likely a reason that I am not a ship designer. I like the ship (I would not say I love it) and I am not crazy about the Bridge, but the story and characters is what I really care about, and Abrams knows how to tell a story and develop interesting characters.
Same here...
Old 11-13-2008, 06:41 AM
Lieutenant

I'm not worried in the slightest. I've watched every TOS episode, read most of the books and seen all of the movies ... and I'm excited. I can't wait to see how this movie injects new life into Trek. To me, Trek is so much bigger than any "canon" change J.J. Abrams could make with this movie that I see no problems with anything I've seen or read thus far. Trek is the stories, the people, the wonder of exploring the unknown. It is literally the embodiment of everything humanity has thought since the first erect humans looked up at the stars and wondered what the heck they were and what was out there. I can't wait for this movie.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:47 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
mjcrawford knows the score
If the filmmakers tried to make a movie that'd please everyone, then it'd end up being so bland, so middle-ground that it'd be dull as all hell.
Isn't that exactly what they are trying to do, at the expense of existing fans?
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 11-13-2008, 10:03 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
Precisely!
Old 11-13-2008, 10:06 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
I can dig that Tanman, but I'm a little trepedacious.
Indeed...a bit worried...
If the person that reviewed the movie ACTUALLY thought the ship looked good...how are we to really judge the movie it' self?

I remain passive but cautious.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:10 AM
Captain

Very worried, here. And I will say again that it is not because of the ship or the uniforms or the bridge (well, maybe a little because of the bridge) but mostly because of the footage that was described earlier. My point is that to accept this new movie as canon is to invalidate 40 of previous Trek history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcrawford View Post
I remember well when TMP came out, as a kid I thought that the new Enterprise was the coolest thing I had ever seen, I did not care about the fact that it looked different, the same is true of the bridge and the Klingon ships. Granted I did not care for the uniforms, but then that was not the point of the film

That is what other people have brought up as well, but I think an important difference here is that TMP represented the future of TOS whereas this film is supposed to represent it very recent past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
But I will not boycott the film because that will not serve any purpose. Moreso out of curiosity, I want to see how they pull this off. If I am going to criticize something, I at least should see the final product. All my mouthing off to date is presumptive, I agree, but I think I have seen and read enough evidence to justify it.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:15 AM
Fleet Admiral

Remember!
When these forums first started...There was a POLL on all the Enterprises, including the knew one before we really knew what it looked liked.

NO ONE CHOSE THE NEW SHIP.....

AND

Side by side with that POLL another POLL..."HOW MUCH DO YOU LIKE THE NEW ENTERPRISE?

THEY SAY THEY LOVED IT...BEST DESIGN EVER!!!~majority...

Such a contradiction....
Yet again here...in another poll they praise the new design with...I LOVE it...
No doubt the same ones that ignored it on the first poll but loved it on the second poll are voting which ever way keeps trek on the air...

If Abrams took his consensus from these people for the design approval, it would be like asking an alcholic which do you like better Budwieser or Coors...

He doesn't care...he just wants more beer.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:20 AM
Federation Councillor

My option would be, that I'm mostly unconcerned because it doesn't matter what I think, the film is done, although the only niggles came slightly with the E, which can be corrected when more images and better angle shots show her off more fully. So I chose the first option. I still intend to wait until I see the film before arriving a once-and-for-all-conclusion, though I can see why some feel otherwise.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:23 AM
Lieutenant

I'm not worried but I'm curious.....is this the Pike era Enterprise and will there be a refit mid-movie that will look closer to what we remember from TOS and/or TMP? Just speculating.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:35 AM
Federation Councillor

I would say we don't know enough to rule that out....so possibly.