The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Hope for those with none. (Re: New E)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2008, 08:33 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetanus4breakfast View Post
This is why instead of engaging in "idle speculation" you should wait until the final product before you let it upset you so much.
I'd prefer to think of it as educated guesses, but when I heard JJ and co. refer to it as a "re-invigoration or re-vitalization", I pictured something along the lines of TOS-R that was directly connected to what we had already seen. It's not a matter of me being a "purist" or "canon-nut", just nothing in the interviews and press releases led me to believe that it was going to be this radically different from what has come before.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:50 PM
Captain

See, I don't feel duped as much as just forgotten about.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:53 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuedoc View Post
Which is worse?
Old 11-12-2008, 08:57 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuedoc View Post
Its not a personal attack. You need to step outside of your own expectations and open your mind to something different. You don't have to denounce everything you love about Trek just to enjoy this altered perspective.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:04 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshirt Bob View Post
Church of Trek: The sci-fi religion that doesn't take all your money.
I don't know, remember how highly the series DVD's used to be priced!

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 11-12-2008, 09:20 PM
Commander

First of all, I'm much calmer than I was yesterday. Star Trek Is different from Batman, it isn't literary based, it's media based. TOS, STNG, DS9, Voyager, the films, and to some degree, Enterprise are it's history. We've gone from point A with TOS to point B with Enterprise and the STNG films, without changing any major historical events or any ship designs of the past. This new film is throwing all of that continuity away by changing the design of the Enterprise NCC-1701, radically away from what has already been well established, that it is supposed to look like. I.E.: A Constitution class ship is no longer canon, continuity has ended. A new continuity has been created, and everything we know about what occured during the original five year mission, and what happened in the lives of the TOS characters has been wiped from existance, like the minds of ordinary citizens who see an alien in "Men In Black". That's what bothers me. It bothers me much more than the fact that the new ship design looks like it's made from glued together bathroom fixtures.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:27 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshirt Bob View Post
You see, I wouldn't have minded that if that's what JJ and co. told us right from the beginning. They were so vague with how they were going to handle canon that now we don't know what kind of product we're dealing with.
Exactly. We're told this will be a great movie. We were also told the Enterprise wouldn't be drastically different except possibly the interiors. Um... yeah, it is drastically different. So how much faith should we have in what we were told about the story now that what we've been told about the ship turns out to have obviously been just hot air?
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 11-12-2008, 09:31 PM
Captain

Quote:
Its not a personal attack. You need to step outside of your own expectations and open your mind to something different.
Er... no. The people selling this needed to step inside the fan perspective and deliver what they implied. Obviously, it's too late for them to do that.

Star Trek is not, never was and never will be appealing to the people Abrams is aiming to draw in with this. And now it's not even appealing to I'd guess about 30-40% of the people it would have pulled in.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 11-12-2008, 09:37 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
Er... no. The people selling this needed to step inside the fan perspective and deliver what they implied. Obviously, it's too late for them to do that.

Star Trek is not, never was and never will be appealing to the people Abrams is aiming to draw in with this. And now it's not even appealing to I'd guess about 30-40% of the people it would have pulled in.
Amen Saint! You are right on the money.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:55 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Do not boycott this movie on the grounds of one image. Please, have faith. Stay true to Trek.
Sadly, people boycott for less than that these days, and some people seemingly will now avoid the film. At the end of the day that's their right, but at this point, until perhaps more new info is released, those who wish to boycott will not be persuaded otherwise.