The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > A Vote Of Confidence....
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-12-2008, 02:55 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Seven View Post
No doubt the naysayers will be in line (wearing trenchcoats and sunglasses) to see this movie. If only to see if they're were right. Then magically they'll cross over. Folks don't understand this movie is a: win/win. For all intents and purposes the franchise was dead. The mainstream argued NCC1701 should sit idle for several years before any attempt of a cold engine restart.

Enter J.J. and his bold vision of Trek. We need something bold and provocative. A Star Trek for today..not yesterday. I can appreciate the concerns of the ST purists but J.J. owes them nothing. This is his Trek and he's running with it. And, it's time for most of us to let things go. I've read topics where posters wondered if a minor character or circumstance would be included in the new film. This is a new Trek for a new day.

I'm 50 years old and have been a Trek fan from the start. That doesn't make me better than anyone else. But with this movie I've learned to let go. Star Trek must evolve, it must go beyond traditional while retaining something of it as a basepoint. J.J. won't let us down.

Damage75, thanks for posting James Cawley's article. Very insightful.
Well said.

Cawley is obviously considered to be an important voice in the world of Trekkorieism (did I miss anyone? ). That's why he was given a tour of the sets and a small part in the film. Paramount obviously respects his vision since they've "handed over" the Phase II concept to him. I wouldn't dismiss Cawley's opinions.

Two cents, no charge.