The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > A Vote Of Confidence....
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2008, 01:06 PM
Captain

Default A Vote Of Confidence....

......from the producer and star of Star Trek Phase II James Cawley, who had seen the design of the new E last year.

It's a good read, and hopefully will inspire some confidence in the doubters out there, especially those worried about canon!

http://trekmovie.com/2008/11/12/edit...ar-trek-movie/

You people have ruined "Star Trek The Next Generation" for me. You are absolutely the most insufferable group of jackasses I have ever had the misfortune of spending an extended period of time with. I hope you all f@*#! die. - Stewie after spending the day with the TNG cast.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:09 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha

Good!

(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)
Old 11-12-2008, 01:13 PM
Lieutenant

I think Mr. Cawley makes some very good points, notably the paragraph about the Batman franchise. But it's sad to say that no amount of explaining will make a difference to those who have already decided to hate the new film for whatever reason. Generally, they're trivial reasons put forth by die-hard purists who hate a movie/trailer they've never seen and who make all sorts of overdramatic statements about Trek being ruined ... all because of a few released images, two trailer descriptions and descriptions of four clips that were released. Trivial or not, people already hate this movie. And it's sad. I fear his points will, for the most part, fall on deaf ears.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:28 PM
Ensign

Yes it is sad that the very people who are criticising this film even before it comes out are supposedly the 'purists' amongst us, but in actual fact they do not have anything in common with anything Star Trek stood for!!!
An open mind for one thing!!

They wouldnt know Boldly Going if it ran them over , reversed and then ran them over again just to make sure!!!

Reading some of these posts makes me ashamed to be a Star Trek fan to be honest. These so called fans are quite happy for Star Trek to be the butt of jokes and comedy for ever and ever and someone comes along who wants to turn Star Trek into something we can be proud of and they slag them off using sometimes very strong unnecessary language.

Yes not everyone will like everything , but the arguments against this new version are frankly rubbish and generally fall into the 'its not the same as the TOS so I dont like it' camp.

Gene Rodenberry would have loved it because he would have said 'wow look what youve done its fantastic, I wish I could have done that .'
Old 11-12-2008, 01:44 PM
Commander

It is the exectuion that is different, not the concept.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:00 PM
Vice Admiral

Batman isn't Trek. I am Not a purist nor "canonite". I really enjoyed ENT and the new look for Star Trek, even though it was NOT like TOS. I don't even give the different bridge styles a second thought from one movie to another. Most of those details are minor in my opinion and not worth much to complain about. This new movie, so far based on the photos, does more than just reinterpret an already known universe. I think the new Enterprise looks fine, except for the placement of the neck connection (looks ugly). I don't like the look of the glass and lights new bridge either, but i am a Trek fan and really want to see a good Trek story. i enjoy ship battles and explosions as much as anyone else, but the overall story is more important. I will gag a bit when I see the new E and bridge, but I will look past it and jugde it based on the new Movie being "based" on Trek.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:39 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluxchiller View Post
Yes it is sad that the very people who are criticising this film even before it comes out are supposedly the 'purists' amongst us, but in actual fact they do not have anything in common with anything Star Trek stood for!!!
An open mind for one thing!!

They wouldnt know Boldly Going if it ran them over , reversed and then ran them over again just to make sure!!!

Reading some of these posts makes me ashamed to be a Star Trek fan to be honest. These so called fans are quite happy for Star Trek to be the butt of jokes and comedy for ever and ever and someone comes along who wants to turn Star Trek into something we can be proud of and they slag them off using sometimes very strong unnecessary language.

Yes not everyone will like everything , but the arguments against this new version are frankly rubbish and generally fall into the 'its not the same as the TOS so I dont like it' camp.
But do we need to insult them for it?

Old 11-12-2008, 02:41 PM
Fleet Admiral

The movie will be what it will be.
We don't know what that is yet....we just wait and see.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:42 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
The movie will be what it will be.
We don't know what that is yet....we just wait and see.
Wise words...

Old 11-12-2008, 02:44 PM
Lieutenant Commander

No doubt the naysayers will be in line (wearing trenchcoats and sunglasses) to see this movie. If only to see if they're were right. Then magically they'll cross over. Folks don't understand this movie is a: win/win. For all intents and purposes the franchise was dead. The mainstream argued NCC1701 should sit idle for several years before any attempt of a cold engine restart.

Enter J.J. and his bold vision of Trek. We need something bold and provocative. A Star Trek for today..not yesterday. I can appreciate the concerns of the ST purists but J.J. owes them nothing. This is his Trek and he's running with it. And, it's time for most of us to let things go. I've read topics where posters wondered if a minor character or circumstance would be included in the new film. This is a new Trek for a new day.

I'm 50 years old and have been a Trek fan from the start. That doesn't make me better than anyone else. But with this movie I've learned to let go. Star Trek must evolve, it must go beyond traditional while retaining something of it as a basepoint. J.J. won't let us down.

Damage75, thanks for posting James Cawley's article. Very insightful.