The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Interesting Star Trek Movie Trivia
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2008, 12:47 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
Wow, I never knew that part... what species was her other parent, and what's the source for that nifty factoid?
Caithlin Dar, 1/4 human, according to Memory Alpha.

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Caithlin_Dar
Old 11-07-2008, 07:36 AM
Captain

Did anybody ever hear that Saavik was half Romulan? I read it somewhere, but for the life of me, I can't remember where. Seems like it was in a novel.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:18 PM
Vice Admiral

cool facts

Old 11-08-2008, 11:26 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
There wasn't a battle between the Enterprise and any vessel in Voyage Home, unless you count flashbacks to Trek III.

Interesting trivia facts though. The 'Scotty' episode was called "Relics" I think.
Not between the Enterprise and any vessel, but there was a ship battle (technically, a stand-off I'll admit, but a ship to ship conflict nonetheless) in Star Trek IV, and a weapon was fired.

Last edited by MonsieurHood : 11-08-2008 at 11:32 PM.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:33 PM
Fleet Admiral

*The ORIGINAL title to Star Trek II was going to be "The Undiscovered Country". However, it would seem that Paramount figured no one else would get the reference, so they went with "The Vengeance of Khan"....Beetlescott's factoid continues things from here.

*Many of the extras in Star Trek the motion picture were fans of the original series, some of whom were instrumental in reviving Trek for subsequent seasons when the show faced first cancellation back in the 60's. Among the "extras", noted Trek revivalist BJo Trimble.

*In Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, Sulu's coffee cup actually loses its "Excelsior" decoration when it crashes onto the deck during the impact of the subspace shockwave. And when Sulu crawls back toward the seat, the cup is.....gone...and the deck cleaned.

*Originally intended for the role of Sybok in ST V was Sean Connery. In fact, the name of the God planet, "Sha Ka Ree" was named as such in Connery's honor. But, Connery had to turn down the role (to do a much better film....The Hunt for Red October.)

*During the scenes in ST II, where the crew is seen throughout the ship rushing to battlestations, just before the Mutara Nebula battle, one can catch a glimpse of the film's composer, James Horner, as one of the crew.

*It was actually James Doohan who invented some of the guttural sounds and phrases for what we came to know as thl'ngan (Klingon). Linguist Mark Okrand picked things up from there, and created the more fleshed out, and very communicable thl'ngan for the subsequent movies and shows.

Last edited by martok2112 : 11-08-2008 at 11:49 PM.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:33 AM
Captain

I wish I knew stuff like this. The best I can do is make stuff like this up. To wit:

The origin of the heavy brow ridges on Romulans in Star Trek: The Next Generation lies with Leonard Nimoy's early morning makeup sessions for the filming of Star Trek IV, and one in particular during which the actor, so exhausted from the heavy shooting schedule, fell asleep in the makeup chair . Forgetting that the moldable substance holding his Vulcan eyebrows in place had not yet set, he turned his head to the side and rested one side of his face against the chair, then the other, inadvertently altering the makeup.

He awoke to a horrified makeup artist and a producer; the producer was so amused by the distortion that he snapped a photo of it. This circulated on the Paramount lot until Michael Westmore saw it and, not aware of the context of the photograph, redesigned the Vulcan and Romulan makeup to reflect what he thought was an official change.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 11-09-2008, 09:05 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
I wish I knew stuff like this. The best I can do is make stuff like this up. To wit:

The origin of the heavy brow ridges on Romulans in Star Trek: The Next Generation lies with Leonard Nimoy's early morning makeup sessions for the filming of Star Trek IV, and one in particular during which the actor, so exhausted from the heavy shooting schedule, fell asleep in the makeup chair . Forgetting that the moldable substance holding his Vulcan eyebrows in place had not yet set, he turned his head to the side and rested one side of his face against the chair, then the other, inadvertently altering the makeup.

He awoke to a horrified makeup artist and a producer; the producer was so amused by the distortion that he snapped a photo of it. This circulated on the Paramount lot until Michael Westmore saw it and, not aware of the context of the photograph, redesigned the Vulcan and Romulan makeup to reflect what he thought was an official change.
That's not bad for a total line of hoo-ha.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:03 AM
Fleet Admiral

A lot of these little factoids can be found either by listening to the commentary on the movie DVD's, or watching Michael Okuda's text commentaries on the same discs. (Or if you really wanna confuddle the brain, listen to the commentaries and watch the texts at the same time. )