The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Image showing clearer details of the Kelvin
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2008, 06:00 AM
Fleet Admiral

You know I knew there was a reason why I thought the nacelles at warp cores in them.

Old 11-08-2008, 06:10 AM
Fleet Admiral

In case of an emergency, one cannot eject the core without seperating the nacelles and vice versa if something is wrong with the nacelles.
On the other hand, 'integrated systems' design might have happened because the ship builders did not consider such worst case scenarios or because the thought of seperating essential ship systems did not occur to any engineer.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:14 AM
Fleet Admiral

I can only thing that they wanted to keep the core away from the ship and the loss of energy to contain the reaction plasma as it passes through conduit. I guess it makes sense . You lose the core you lose the engines...back then and still now you're not moving with out either....but now with replicators....

If you can create a shuttle craft you can create a new core.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:59 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
I think that it is a hard job to create a new Starship in the Trek universe, especially in the pre-TOS era. If you do something familiar, some people will cry foul, that looks like XYZ and if you something new, like this one nacelle attached to the hull (or two nacelles, we know pretty much nothing yet) some will cry foul, this violates established starship design rules.
This is true, but they're Gene's rules:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBlue98 View Post
“…one … was that engines must always come in pairs. (I have heard that odd-number nacelle designs are allowed because each nacelle would house two warp coils, thus itself being its own pair, however the dual-coil housing design began only in TNG—then again, in JJ's Starfleet, who knows what ‘details’ are being ‘re-cannonized).’

“The other three rules were that (a) engines must have an unobstructed view forward, (b) engines must have at least 50% line-of-sight with each other across the hull, and (c) a ship's bridge is always located at the top of the ship's primary hull. See The Star Trek database at shipschematics.net.”
Old 11-09-2008, 12:14 AM
Fleet Admiral

It's not that hard.
The problem is the people they're hiring. Our current Day graphic designers are under a modern style, intricate and detailed (unnecessarily so) almost gratuitous and with no concept of past designs. In order to get the look of prequels you litteral will have to hire someone from a different age. The past.

Like Matt Jefferies. He was not a graphic designer but mechanical & aviation artist and chief engineer of a power plant.

Graphic designers of this age don't have this sort of dept of knowledge. Therefor weighing form over depth of function. And to make something realistic you must consider it's function first which requires somesort of working knowledge of how things works.

The Akira Designer was one of the better designers (Alex Jeager) from the new generation. He considered it's role as a starship and I can't say it's the most beautiful design so he certainly considered it's function first.

It's such a tenuous balance between the two.