The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > New Enterprise...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2008, 12:31 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
I disagree with the general sentiment being used to excuse this, the one that goes, "Well, you don't know every tiny-est detail, so you really ought to put blinders on and pretend you don't know anything at all!"

BS. I see a dorsal fin break the water, I don't need to know exactly how many teeth are in the shark's mouth to know it's a shark. I see a starship bridge that looks like it was designed by Apple in cooperation with Ikea, I don't need to know what the context is for that figurative middle finger to know that I, as a fan, have just been flipped off.
First, no one is asking you to put blinders on... though clearly you're assuming everyone else who disagrees with your preconceptions HAS blinders on, which is just an absolutist attitude from the flipside.

Your metaphor makes no sense, since we all know what a shark is and does... yet none of us have seen one frame of this new movie.

But apparently you don't need to see the movie to judge it 7 months in advance, and that's your prerogative.

Sorry, I'm just not ready to drink the Haterade this early... but enjoy it if that's what you prefer. Cheers.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 10-21-2008, 12:32 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Except that five years before TOS would have been roughly the time between The Cage and WNMHGB, and this bridge takes a WILD design detour between two different but essentially very similar looks. It'd be a little like someone offering to show you some of the great past designs of Porche 911s -- and in between the 1988 and 1990 models on display is a 2009 model that's been labeled a 1989 model.

What do you say to the person pulling that one on ya?
No one denies that the TOS bridge is classic and looked fine and modern in its appearances in TNG, DS9 and ENT. But again I want to remind every purist of James Cawley's opinion about the upcoming movie and emphasize that the most important thing is the STORY, which I guess you as professional writer considers important too.

Quote:
I disagree with the general sentiment being used to excuse this, the one that goes, "Well, you don't know every tiny-est detail, so you really ought to put blinders on and pretend you don't know anything at all!"

BS. I see a dorsal fin break the water, I don't need to know exactly how many teeth are in the shark's mouth to know it's a shark. I see a starship bridge that looks like it was designed by Apple in cooperation with Ikea, I don't need to know what the context is for that figurative middle finger to know that I, as a fan, have just been flipped off.
I am an economist, so I have professional distrust concerning the accuracy of predictions and forecasts.
We should keep in mind that these are not random pictures, but pictures released for marketing purposes. They are supposed to be thought provoking to make people talk about it.

If you don't intend to watch this movie, you spent quite some time on talking about it although I admit that I like your colourful metaphors
Old 10-21-2008, 12:35 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:

Well the problem there is, if you don't bother to consider the context you have no idea what you're actually flipping off. And you don't know anything at all about the context of that picture, neither does anyone else. Now you might be proven correct when the facts and context are known, you might not be, but I have never seen anyone on this forum more determined to shoot down this film because it doesn't fit with a personal vision of how it should be to you.

It's exactly the kind of insular Trek sensibility that has turned it into an entity that's in need to saving. I appreciate you love Trek and want to keep it alive, but it's exactly this kind of approach to things that actually ends up killing it.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:47 PM
Captain

Really? Looked to me like it was the opposite approach -- "nodding to" (which really just means passive-aggressively ignoring) fan opinion that led Enterprise down the Nielsens' toilet, and Nemesis, which was a spectacularly badly written film, that put Trek on the brink of death. The numbers are there, and they don't lie. Nods and homages to Trek don't belong in Trek, they belong in Trek parodies, which is what I see when I look at those photos of the bridge -- a skillfully engineered, extremely well funded parody.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 10-21-2008, 12:48 PM
Federation Councillor

How can you be sure, you're evidently not going to go and see it.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:52 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
No one denies that the TOS bridge is classic and looked fine and modern in its appearances in TNG, DS9 and ENT. But again I want to remind every purist of James Cawley's opinion about the upcoming movie and emphasize that the most important thing is the STORY, which I guess you as professional writer considers important too.
No offense to Mr. Cawley, but I don't consider him an authority figure. Actually, I don't consider anybody an authority figure whose signature isn't on the checks I deposit at the bank.

Yes, the story is the most important thing -- but the "look" of the film is used to convey the story, as well; otherwise, they might just as well produce this for radio. And considering the "look" they're showing off in the photos, that might not be a bad idea.

Quote:
I am an economist, so I have professional distrust concerning the accuracy of predictions and forecasts.
We should keep in mind that these are not random pictures, but pictures released for marketing purposes. They are supposed to be thought provoking to make people talk about it.

If you don't intend to watch this movie, you spent quite some time on talking about it although I admit that I like your colourful metaphors
I urge each of you to visit boards other than this one to see what the general timbre of that talk is. I'm an exception here -- but "here" is the exception to Everywhere Else.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 10-21-2008, 12:54 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBElliott View Post
From the images we've seen so far, when it comes to the look of the technology, they're not smart.
I could see something along this line in the film.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:57 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha

Quote:
I'm an exception here -- but "here" is the exception to Everywhere Else.
Perhaps that is because most of the people who had decided not to go and see the film last year did not think it appropriate to join the boards created for the very film that they had decided NOT to see!

(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)
Old 10-21-2008, 12:58 PM
Captain

Which would create an inaccurately skewed reading of public reaction for the creative team, wouldn't it?
Old 10-21-2008, 01:01 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha

Quote:
Which would create an inaccurately skewed reading of public reaction for the creative team, wouldn't it?
Yes it would.

That is where all the other areas of public feedback comes in!

(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)