The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Deep Space Nine > defiant
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2008, 04:17 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCARS 24 View Post
This shows the Chaffee, a type-10 shuttlecraft seen in DS9: The Sound of Her Voice, in the Defiant's dropdown shuttlebay:

That's odd there would be enough room....
Old 09-17-2008, 02:37 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
It's some 10x more powerful than the Galaxy, highly manuverable well equiped and specificly designed to kill ships in record time. There is frankly no better combat vessel in Trek.

In fact I would put a Defiant class starship to win against just about any ship except a Voth Mother ship and a Borg Cube. It will go against Scimitar, The Dominion Ship-Killer, the Regents 4,000 meter Negh'var.

That's why it got trashed in 5 seconds flat by the Borg Cube, which itself lasted for about 5 seconds against the Enterprise! Remember the poor Enterprise seemed to get weaker as each film went on, she didn't have her quantum Torps against the Remen ship in X or the lepers in IX.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:31 AM
Lieutenant Commander

well she is a good ship
Old 10-14-2008, 10:39 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamLX View Post
That's why it got trashed in 5 seconds flat by the Borg Cube, which itself lasted for about 5 seconds against the Enterprise! Remember the poor Enterprise seemed to get weaker as each film went on, she didn't have her quantum Torps against the Remen ship in X or the lepers in IX.

The Ivor System near Deep Space 5 is about 60 to 70 lighyears from Earth. 8 Days at warp 9.6

The Distance from the Romulan Neutral Zone to Earth according to the Star Trek Star Charts is 30-ish lightyears. 3.7 Days at warp 9.6

Enterprise had time to travel to the Neutral Zone listen to the Fleet engage the cube as it passed through Federation Territory and then return to Earth. That's 8 Days.

The Point is Defiant would have been Engaged with the Cube for at least 3 hours since Defiant can move at warp 9.5 when dumping it's phaser reservers into SIF. The distance from Earth to DS9 is 60 lightyears
Defaint would have engage the Cube a good 2-3 lightyears from Earth.

In other words a running fight.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:36 PM
Admiral

Quote:
The Ivor System near Deep Space 5 is about 60 to 70 lighyears from Earth. 8 Days at warp 9.6

The Distance from the Romulan Neutral Zone to Earth according to the Star Trek Star Charts is 30-ish lightyears. 3.7 Days at warp 9.6

Enterprise had time to travel to the Neutral Zone listen to the Fleet engage the cube as it passed through Federation Territory and then return to Earth. That's 8 Days.

The Point is Defiant would have been Engaged with the Cube for at least 3 hours since Defiant can move at warp 9.5 when dumping it's phaser reservers into SIF. The distance from Earth to DS9 is 60 lightyears

That's amazing when you think about it, considering the closest visible star in the constellation Orion is about 243 lyrs away. Just shows how little an area of space Star Trek deals with.

On a side note I remember Carter in stargate once saying that there are only a few stars visible from earth that have planets with stargates, shows how different shows handle the vastness of the galaxy.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 10-14-2008, 04:46 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:

An interesting idea...

But there was no indication in either DS9, or ST-FC that there had been a running battle with the Defiant. Seems they decided to make their stand where they did after the cubes broke though perimiter defeses (I assume Wolf 359?)

My big question is why Sisko was not COMMANDING the Defiant into a major battle with the Borg. I like Worf, but seemed a odd choice.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:16 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Q View Post
My big question is why Sisko was not COMMANDING the Defiant into a major battle with the Borg. I like Worf, but seemed a odd choice.
My personal thinking would be he was needed more as Commander of Deep Space Nine and that with the Dominion threat building up, there was no need for him to leave the station for several days to captain the ship when Worf has ample tactical experience and training.

Of course, if he had captained the ship, he's another character that would have had to have been fitted into FC, where he didn't really belong. So, had to be Worf.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:27 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Untill the refit Dadelus and Odessy hit Star Gate Atlantis now ship in Sci Fi destroyed ships faster than the Defiant.

It's some 10x more powerful than the Galaxy, highly manuverable well equiped and specificly designed to kill ships in record time. There is frankly no better combat vessel in Trek.

In fact I would put a Defiant class starship to win against just about any ship except a Voth Mother ship and a Borg Cube. It will go against Scimitar, The Dominion Ship-Killer, the Regents 4,000 meter Negh'var.

I admite I wasn't initially a fan of the design. It was a rapid depature from the Star Fleet norm but I had to start to reconsider after The Search Part one were this ship fire 6 volleys in 2 seconds missing three times and destroying the attack ship in three volleys. Nothing short of incredible can describe that preformance and ever since I've stayed glued to the screen anytime Defiant went into battle.

After looking over the model I appreciated Defiant in a whole new way. It had all the standard equipment, and including landing gear and three shuttle bays and a massive impulse engine. The features of the ship included the new sensor pallettes that would be later put on Voyager. It lacks some features but for this completely encapsulated warship it's forgivable.

All Hail Defiant.
This a long thread which I have not fully read so my point could well already have been made, but I feel I must point out how mistaken you are. It is not some 10x more powerful than a Galaxy Class. In the episode called in think 'Valiant' we see a sister ship of the defiant easily destroyed by a Dominian battleship which is described as being twice as big and 3x as powerful as a Galaxy Class Star Ship. If a Defiant Class ship was 10x more powerful than a Galaxy then the Valiant should have won the battle. I would see the Defiant as small and heavily armed for her size, but no match for full sized Star Ships. Her usefulness stems from the cloaking device for stealthy entry into Dominian held space.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:33 AM
Federation Councillor

It's essentially just a big gun with engines, but no ship is indestructible so of course it can be destroyed. O'Brien summarised it as 'over-engineered and over-armed' (or to that effect) for it's size.

So, I reckon it proved it's usefulness, but it can still be beaten like almost any ship can be.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:32 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
It's essentially just a big gun with engines, but no ship is indestructible so of course it can be destroyed. O'Brien summarised it as 'over-engineered and over-armed' (or to that effect) for it's size.

So, I reckon it proved it's usefulness, but it can still be beaten like almost any ship can be.

True but in the episode I mention, it was made very clear that the Defiant class ship going up against the Dominian class ship described as twice as big and 3 times as powerful as the Galaxy Class was a complete suicide mission, which it indeed turned out to be, so again I humbly submit that while powerful for her size she is no match for a full blown Star Ship such as the Enterprise D or E.