The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > A thread for Duran Duran fans...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2008, 01:39 AM
Fleet Admiral

Default A thread for Duran Duran fans...

Hi all,

This thread is largely for fans of Duran Duran (the band), but of course, I'd love to hear from others for good or ill.

I've been a fan of Duran Duran even during a time when I didn't know who they were.

I'd heard songs like Hungry Like the Wolf, Girls On Film, and Rio, but back then, I never knew who performed them. I just knew I liked the songs.

I didn't hear the name of the band Duran Duran until they released Union of the Snake off their third album "Seven and the Ragged Tiger". I was instantly hooked. Also, with great immediacy, I grasped the significance of the name of their band, as it was taken from the name of the main bad guy in the movie Barbarella (which was being shown quite frequently on Cinemax back in the early 80's).

Back in '83, "Seven and the Ragged Tiger" was the first Duran Duran tape I'd ever owned, and my mom even liked their sound. I listened to that tape til I'd almost worn it out. Every single song was phenomenal to me. From "The Reflex" all the way up to "The Seventh Stranger"...everything just resonated musically and vocally with me. Simon Le Bon became a hero to me, as I loved to sing (and now do so for a living And one of my bands even occasionally covers Hungry Like the Wolf.).

In my early teen years, I'd gotten the earlier Duran Duran tapes (their first self-titled album --which was known in the UK as Carnival...with a significant difference, and Rio.) In my latter teens, I picked up Arena and Notorious. I even enjoyed their branch-out projects.... John and Andy Taylor hooking up with Robert Palmer in Power Station, and Simon Lebon, Roger Taylor, and Nick Rhodes hooking up with a whole bunch of good musicians and singers in their Arcadia: So Red The Rose project. With Notorious, you could hear the influences of both outside projects on the album.

Then came the personnel changes. But, their sound still never failed to disappoint me. Even with Warren Cucarillo on guitar, Duran Duran still rocked, even though their one album, Liberty, I don't think did very well. I think Duran Duran redeemed themselves with their second self-titled album, which has my all time favorite DD song: "Ordinary World".

After their second ST album, I never really picked up any more DD CD's. In fact, for a short while, I'd actually lost track of them. However, a couple of years ago, I did pick up their DVD Live at Wembley Stadium. When I looked on the box, it said "the original lineup"....I was floored. I knew this was a must-have. I snagged it up and watched it, and was blown away. These guys sounded every bit as good as they did 25+ years before, and they really didn't look like they'd changed much. Watching this video reinvigorated my love for my chosen profession as a singer...and every now and then, when I need a recharge to reinforce my love of my job, that is the video I'll pop in. And listening to Andy Taylor play guitar on "Ordinary World" (a part originally written by Warren Cucarillo), was nothing short of time-stopping.

I've been a fan of Duran Duran for as long as I can remember....and I'll always be. I hope they keep making great music for years to come.

So, other Duran Duran fans...or folks who can just appreciate their music...let's hear from ya'!

Respectfully,
Martok2112

Old 10-09-2008, 10:19 AM
Federation Councillor

I'd count myself as someone who can listen to them happily but isn't a 'fan' the way you are - I think 'Hungry like the Wolf', 'Reflex', 'Rio', 'Ordinary World' have real longevity in their sound and actually with the 1980s revival actually sound kinda fresh again (in the UK anyway, don't know what's current in the US).

So, yep, they get the thumbs up from me!
Old 10-09-2008, 12:23 PM
Vice Admiral

I had a "punk "friend who gave me a copy of their first LP and I really liked it. Then MTV came along and that, as they say, was that. My Mom used to freak out about my hair cause whatever John Taylor did, I did.

They came around here on the 7&tRT tour, and again when around the time of the whole Arcadia/Power Station thing. I just got to catch them again at a 3000 seat local Guilded Age theater and it was so good - probably the best of the 3 shows I've seen.

Next time they're around I'm splurging on the front row/meet the band tickets cause I would like to ogle John and Simon and Roger in person just once. (And exchange makeup tips with Nick?!?!)
Old 10-09-2008, 01:58 PM
Rear Admiral

I definitely considered myself a big Duran Duran fan during the '80s--the video for "The Reflex" was one I watched about a hundred times and never got tired of. Everytime I heard a Duran Duran song pop over the radio, I was locked in.

The '88 Big Thing album is actually my favorite Duran Duran album of all time. It has something of a concept album vibe about it, and had that right mix of pop, funk, industrial, and that undeniable Duran Duran sound, IMO. I thought the Liberty album was okay, but when my tape player ate it one day, I never bothered to replace it. Subsequent albums, including the most recent one, have been hit and miss for me. It seems like they make a really great album and then the next one is somewhat forgettable, but that's just me. I think it's more a case of who produces the albums than the band itself (Timbaland tried too hard to make them hip and lost something along the way, I think).

Back in '93, Duran Duran came to my hometown and a friend of mine had free fourth-row tickets and invited me along. It was a great show, and there were a lot of those MOMENTS when they went into those classic songs and you went back in time and recalled great memories...

Most acts over 20 years old have a certain shelf life when they either break up or stop recording and become a touring-only act. I still think there's a lot of great music still in Duran Duran and hopefully they'll continue making albums and giving us new music.

Now if only Andy would stop quitting the group everytime they all get back together...
Old 10-09-2008, 06:55 PM
Vice Admiral

Re. Andy, I must admit that although I do miss the edge he brought to the music, he was the one I least minded losing.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:31 PM
Fleet Admiral

Liberty did have a couple good songs on it.

I thought "First Impression" was a rather Duran Duran-esque take on "Jukebox Hero" (moreso in the progression of the song than anything else).

And I loved the song "Antarctica". It was one of those ethereal Simon vocal songs.