The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Baseball Predictions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2008, 04:45 PM
Commander

Default Baseball Predictions

Ok, it's mid-August now, time to start making predictions about who's going to make the World Series.

Now, I'm a Cubs fan... yet I don't know if I can drink the Cub kool-aid. The Brewers and the Phillies can still challenge the Cubs.

I think the Angels are going to come out of the American League. I know lots of people like Tampa, but I don't think they can hold off Boston, and the Yankees are just waiting for the perfect opportunity to make a run.

If I had to guess, I'd say Phillies and Angels in the World Series.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:41 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon_Coast_Trekkie View Post
... and the Yankees are just waiting for the perfect opportunity to make a run.
When, Spring 2009?

But seriously, I'd agree that the Angels would seem unstoppable in the AL. The NL is a tougher picture, but the Cubs are looking strong. If Chitown doesn't prevail, it may come down to DBacks vs. Dodgers -- and I would have to root for LA.

A crosstown World Series??? Confidence isn't high, but there's a chance.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 08-12-2008, 10:09 PM
Admiral

Okay...this isn't going to be bold...

My Padres end up in the cellar.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 08-12-2008, 10:30 PM
Captain

Oy! This is gonna be painful. I still have to hold on to hope that my beloved Yankees will prevail and make the playoffs. That's the beauty of baseball- it's not over 'til it's over. I've been saying that Tampa has been playing over their heads since June and I'm still saying it now. In the end, they've got no chance against the Angles, who have been our nemesis more than Boston has over the past years. Realistically, even if we get the wild card, I can see Boston and LAA going at it to the death and by October, it may just be an even match.

The NL? Well I usually don't follow minor league baseball, but I think Chicago is going to do very well. Philly is going strong and they're gonna take the East. The Mets? In 1965, Casey Stengel said of his team "These guys have found more ways to lose games than I ever thought possible." Over 40 years later, it's still true. I'm hoping the Dodgers hold out in the West 'cause even though they're in the weakest division by far, I think it would be so cool if they go on to win the Pennant and then the World Series and Joe Torre can get another ring so he can put it on his middle finger and flip it to George ****ing Steinbrenner for insulting him and disbanding our team.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:35 PM
Midshipman

any one but boston, LAA or either new york team. basically the teams that buy thier players with huge contracts. making the small market teams... like my twins, obsolete. i would like to see the cubs win
Old 09-26-2008, 01:49 PM
Captain

Well, now that I am officially sitting shiva for my New York Yankees, I may as well go on to make more predictions. I am rather impressed that most of what I predicted two posts and one month ago has come to fruition. I too am happy for the Dodgers, especially after what those schmucks in the head office did to Joe Torre last year. Again, the NL West is the weakest division in baseball, but everyone starts with a clean slate in October. I am glad for the Cubs as well and I think that they will do well in the playoffs- at least making it to the NLCS. I still think Philly will take the East.

The Mets? I LAUGH! They will hand over the wild card slot to the Milwaukee Brewers who will go toe to toe with the Dodgers and hopefully lose to them.

AL? The Angels are too good this year, but Ihave a feeling that the Boston %@&#* Red Sox will give them quite a fight and it should make for some good games. Shawn, your twins are in a good position now, are on a winning streak, and have three games against KC. Looking very good for them. The Chicago White Sox will probably not make it. Their pitching cant last the whole season adn they've been deteriorating as of late.

I'm thinking LAA vs. Cubs in the end with Chicago suffering yet another let-down.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:24 PM
Captain

Well, seems like I was pretty on-target, except for the AL central division. Sorry Shawn, but I never expected the Twins to drop games to KC over this past weekend. So it looks like we have some good AL matchups. I really hope that LA and Boston kill each other cause I am not a fan of either. As I said earlier though, I think The Angels will prevail, probably in 5 games, because they are just too good this year. I still can't understand Tampa Bay. No idea what crawled up their asses and made them so great this year, but I still think that they will beat the White Sox.

The Phillies should make quick work of The Brewers. Dodgers v. Cubs? I am mixed. I like them both and with two ex-Yankees as managers, it's a hard call for me. If I were putting $$$ on it though, I'd have to go with The Cubs.

We'll see...
Old 09-30-2008, 08:39 PM
Admiral

I was also on target...though, they managed to avoid the dreaded 100 losses....by 1.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 10-01-2008, 11:07 AM
Fleet Admiral

The area newspaper lead with the concept: prepare to be hated by the rest of the country, Dodger fans.

Basically, LA will be rooting for the Dodgers, and "everyone else" will cheer on the Cubs to finally return to the playoffs. If we knock 'em out, we're big blue meanies who killed the sentimental favorite.

Hey, it's up to the Cubs to win it. There's no crying in baseball!

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 10-06-2008, 08:59 PM
Captain

Well, I've been away for the weekend but i did manage to catch all the division series games.

Firstly, congrats to the LA Dodgers! As sorry as I was for the Cubs, I am happy for the team that is led by Joe Torre. They played very well and I hope they do well against Philly. I will be rooting for LA in that one.

At the same time, condolences to LA for the Angels. I can't believe those Red Sox! Well, since this East Coaster is pulling for the Dodgers in the NLCS, I'm hoping some of you there can pray a little for Tampa to wipe Boston off the map for the rest of the post-season.

It's gonna be a pretty interesting week.