The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Are we fools?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2008, 08:13 PM
Vice Admiral

Hmmm... I'm not too sure about NASA. It reminds me of "Dillbert" - scientists and engineers being bossed around by bureaucrats. Maybe having more private sector involvement will help in the future?
Old 10-05-2008, 06:04 AM
Lieutenant Commander

To be fair...

*I* could design a rocket/spacecraft capable of roughly the same sort of Lunar missions as the Apollo series. (I certainly couldn't afford to fund the building of it, of course... *Grin*)

So, I'm sure NASA can do *that* - but I doubt they want to. The technology has advanced significantly since the Apollo missions. Indeed, it has advanced significantly beyond the basic orbiter technology base. What they are looking at is designing a new rocket/capsule series with modern technology... exactly as China is in the process of doing. The Apollo design is merely a starting point...

Old 10-05-2008, 06:17 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
Still, it is amazing that we made it to the moon with computers so lame that they couldn't even power a modern DVD.

Did you notice they forgot to make the spacesuits in the video look like the spacesuits on the astronauts?
That's because in the 60's people had something called 'Balls' that people today don't have.

They were willing to strap into a rocket that could detonate at any moment and send their 'Balls' into orbit.

I can't believe people don't think we went to the moon. The Mythbusters even did a special on moon myths and totally stomped the conspiracy theories.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:49 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildGunsTomcat View Post
That's because in the 60's people had something called 'Balls' that people today don't have.

They were willing to strap into a rocket that could detonate at any moment and send their 'Balls' into orbit.
I think people are still willing to do that, it's just those pesky Health and Safety guys getting in the road!!
Old 10-06-2008, 07:48 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

To the OP: Yes, we are all fools. (That's the bad news)

The good news is, we're getting better as time goes on.

Always remember, the two most common elements in the universe are A) hydrogen, and B) stupidity.

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.