The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Trek 11: Comparisons with the Lord of the Rings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2008, 03:26 AM
Vice Admiral

Trek just needs a fresh start, and i know JJ's itching to say
" Fans, this is what we're gonna do, and this is how we're gonna do it.
Don't like it? thank Berman and that dierecter of Nemesis."

Old 09-10-2008, 09:00 AM
Federation Councillor

I don't think I would really hold JJ and Jackson equal. They're styles are both good, but they're not really the same.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:57 PM
Fleet Admiral

One can pretty much guarantee there will be some existing TREK fans who won't like or appreciate any changes made by Abrams' film. Change in such a long-running and popular franchise will always cull away some fans too rigid in their preferences to accept variations. But I think that number will be small, relatively, and likely countered by the new fans the film welcomes into the fold. In effect, a zero-sum net with the upside being a larger fanbase than existing today.

For me, what's more important is how Abrams/Orci/Kurtzman handle those changes and what they do with them for storytelling purposes. If this story's a real firecracker, we may hear a lot of "I wouldn't have made this change but it worked well in this film" and such like comments.

I guess the point is: expect change to come. Holding off from pre-judging change before it's seen on its own merits will go a long way to enjoying this film as much (or as little) as any given fan will do.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 09-10-2008, 06:28 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
One can pretty much guarantee there will be some existing TREK fans who won't like or appreciate any changes made by Abrams' film. Change in such a long-running and popular franchise will always cull away some fans too rigid in their preferences to accept variations. But I think that number will be small, relatively, and likely countered by the new fans the film welcomes into the fold. In effect, a zero-sum net with the upside being a larger fanbase than existing today.

For me, what's more important is how Abrams/Orci/Kurtzman handle those changes and what they do with them for storytelling purposes. If this story's a real firecracker, we may hear a lot of "I wouldn't have made this change but it worked well in this film" and such like comments.

I guess the point is: expect change to come. Holding off from pre-judging change before it's seen on its own merits will go a long way to enjoying this film as much (or as little) as any given fan will do.
Yeah well put. It is impossible for it to be the same but what the differences or similarities, will be much better absorbed with an open minded approach.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:00 PM
Federation Councillor

I think the majority of us are of that mind, and I'm a fan enough of JJ to have had no reason to fear anything so far!
Old 09-11-2008, 02:31 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:

I do agree, some change is gonna happen, but I doubt we'll anything too horrible like Kirk doing a musical number on the bridge, or Spock joining a Goth band.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:42 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Eyes View Post
A lot of concerns I've read about the new movie remind me of my thinking about the Lord Of The Rings movies when they came out.

I was disappointed with the first movie of the LOTR trilogy because it departed in obvious ways from the book. I could accept that a book doesn't necessarily translate into a good movie without changes, but there seemed to be needless changes in what Jackson turned out.

However, at about the time of the release of the second movie I saw the first movie again on DVD and I listened to Peter Jackson's commentary, in which he explained why some of these departures from Tolkein's work had been done. I still don't think he needed to change as much as he did, but I could see his point in a number of instances. I still felt he was too keen on shock, horror and monsters (as his other movies bear out), and I didn't agree with his determination to have long action scenes to keep teen boys entertained, but he did tighten up the pace of the story quite a bit from the book, and did remain largely faithful to the book and its themes and its descriptions of the world of Middle-earth, and overall I decided he did a better job of the movie than I had originally given him credit for.

So how does all this relate to the new Trek movie?

I see some parallels. We have an existing concept and canon that is well known and very loved by its fans; a movie-maker who is attempting to translate this to the screen while introducing changes that will be true to the original while still being fresh and modern; a lot of people who are concerned that he will make a pig's breakfast of the canon or the style, props, uniforms or general appearance of things; and a general concern that he may not turn out a movie that is 'Right'; that is, True to Star Trek.

One result of Jackson's LOTR was a division among the fans; some people were displeased with the movies because of how they differed from the books and how Jackson went about telling the story; others, many of whom had no previous commitment to the Tolkein's books, accepted the movies as stand alone stories and loved them, not least because of the afore mentioned shock, horror, monsters and action scenes.

We may see a similar result with Abram's Trek; I expect that many among the existing Trek fans will hate the movie or at least find many faults, but a whole new group of fans (brought into the cinema by intensive publicity while having no previous interest in Star Trek), may love the new movie as it is, and won't care about how this Star Trek relates to the old anymore than most of us care how Christopher Reeve's Superman differs from that of George Reeves, or even Kirk Alyn.

I reckon Paramount is banking on the new fans to refloat the franchise and be a whole new generation of Trek fans, much larger in number, to fill their coffers.

What kind of Trek Abrams produces is yet to be seen and he's giving few clues; reports say that he is aiming to be true to Roddenberry's 'vision' of Star Trek, but whether this means just a general sense of optimism about the future, or if it means embracing Roddenberry's well-documented atheistic humanism and the belief of the upward perfecting of humankind with no religion except Self, is yet to be seen.

Jackson's Lord of the Rings, despite his changes or because of them, was a definite winner for New Line Cinema and it breathed new life into Tolkein's Middle-earth. I think it's safe to say that, whatever changes Abrams is introducing into Star Trek, Paramount is counting on this movie being a similar winner for them.
I'm going to like the movie either way. I don't think JJ will go way off, but in the end it's all about making money. No make money no more movies especially ST which has only a limited fan base. Sometimes not everything goes a certain way and you just have to bit the bullet and enjoy it as much as u can. I liked Nemesis and obvious some people hated it. I assume it can't be as bad as nemesis even though I didn't think it was, but of course they could of made some changes to it.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:44 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:

Good job number 1. Well put. Warp 9...engage!