The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > with me being Scottish how u feel to Simon Pegg
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2008, 10:29 AM
Ensign

Post with me being Scottish how u feel to Simon Pegg

Hello Trekkies how do u feel i m from uk and being scottish i feel Simon will do good for scotty in new Star Trek movie.

But got to say loved his Movies Shaun of the Dead and Hott Fuzz. But what do u American ' s feel on when u heard the cast and saw Simon got the role of Scotty.

Seening how in uk he s a funny guy i think he ll push that aside for the movie for scotty and what u see in simon .

Live Long And Prosper
Old 03-03-2008, 10:41 AM
Lieutenant Commander

He's the only cast member I'm really not sure about yet. The only movie I saw him in was MI:III and I didn't even remember him in it until I read somewhere that he was part of the main cast. That's how little of an impact he made on me...

My heart was with Paul McGillion for the role of Scotty and I'm very disappointed that he didn't get it because he would have been perfect for it. Even though he's Canadian, both his parents are Scottish and he does a wonderful Scottish accent.

Anyway... I'm sure there was a good reason for casting Simon Pegg instead of Paul and I really hope that my doubts will be gone the minute I see him as Scotty.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:46 AM
Fleet Admiral

I think Simon will do fine as Scotty, and fans will like him as long as they're not expecting him to do a James Doohan impersonation. We're seeing Scotty (and the rest of the crew) at an earlier time than we've ever seen them, so he has some leeway but I suspect the character will be written consistently.

Doohan's accent wasn't 'native' to him anyway, and with Simon being from the UK, I'm sure he can muster a good accent for the character since he's played with several accents in his career already. I'm looking forward to see how Pegg does in the part.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 03-03-2008, 01:23 PM
Rear Admiral

I am a big fan of Simon Pegg.
A lot of people in the U.S. may not know of him because his movies were not promoted very well here in the states. But, they were very good films.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:31 PM
Ensign

Being from Scotland also I think that he will do a good job. Just so long as he remembers he is not Doohan.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:43 PM
Midshipman

I reckon he'll do a great job. He's a big fan of Trek and is not likely to screw it up (even though it is an odd numbered film).

His wife is Scottish and they both got married in Glasgow, Scotland.

I'm sure her family will give him a ribbing regardless of how good he is anyway.

He's a geek proper and will certainly have thought the role through.

-m0r
Old 03-07-2008, 02:27 PM
Fleet Admiral

Well said, Moriarty, and welcome!

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 03-07-2008, 03:01 PM
Lieutenant Commander

I like Pegg. He'll do well in the part.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:36 PM
Lieutenant

he should do well in the part. looking forward to seeing him. keeping an open mind. glad chris doohan got a place in the movie too.
starbase Britain
Old 03-07-2008, 09:57 PM

Really glad to see him get the role, i hope he knocks it out of the ballpark! Can't wait to see how he inhabits the role. God bless him, and God bless Scotland, the country that makes the best whisky on earth!