The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Terminator Salvation - Major Spoilers Here
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-06-2009, 07:40 AM
DammitJim's Avatar
DammitJim DammitJim is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,294
Default Terminator Salvation - Major Spoilers Here

finally got to see it yesterday.
I loved it.
McG did some damn fine work on this and hasw proven himself as a great action director.
I wish he'd take over the TRANSFORMERS franchise and I wish he had made GI JOE (because that looks terrible)
some good permformances from the actors too
I liked that Anton Yelchin's Reese is already a competent fighter when we see him first
can't say as I thought much of Sam Worthington though. he wasn't bad by any means, but I wouldn't run out to rent his previous films.

I have some questions for those in the know:
1) Bale's voice reminded me of Edward Furlong every now and again. Was Bale using the same accent?
2) is the voice of Sarah Connor on the tapes Linda Hamilton?
3) I think the movie's producers were also involved in the TV series, and I recall the rumour that there would be a reference to the series in the movie, but I missed it (I haven't finished the series yet so no spoilers please)
4) Connor tells Marcus "you killed my mother..." does this mean that SALVATION follows the new timeline of the TV show and disregards T3 (which has many inconsistences with the previous movies), and Sarah doesn't die of cancer but a Terminator kills her
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-06-2009, 07:42 AM
jla1987's Avatar
jla1987 jla1987 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,483
Default

Linda Hamilton is the voice on the tapes. I didn't notice any reference to the TV show. I think Connor told Marcus that he tried to kill his mother, whereas he told him that he killed his father.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-06-2009, 08:09 AM
DammitJim's Avatar
DammitJim DammitJim is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
I think Connor told Marcus that he tried to kill his mother, whereas he told him that he killed his father.
imdb backs you on this

cheers
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-06-2009, 08:22 AM
NCC-73515's Avatar
NCC-73515 NCC-73515 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Heidelberg, Germany
Posts: 7,229
Default

Spoiler video
Cameo in official ad
__________________


"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-06-2009, 08:31 AM
DammitJim's Avatar
DammitJim DammitJim is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
Spoiler video
Cameo in official ad
yes the Arnie scenes were superb.
I had read he was involved but completely forgot until the Arnie Terminator appeared.

does anyone know why the makers chose to reveal that Marcus was a Terminator in the trailers. I would have prefered to not know just to see if I could figure it out myself?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-06-2009, 09:07 AM
jla1987's Avatar
jla1987 jla1987 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DammitJim View Post
yes the Arnie scenes were superb.
I had read he was involved but completely forgot until the Arnie Terminator appeared.

does anyone know why the makers chose to reveal that Marcus was a Terminator in the trailers. I would have prefered to not know just to see if I could figure it out myself?
I don't know for sure why they did that, but I would suspect it was due to that being leaked last summer (as well as the original ending).
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-06-2009, 09:31 AM
DammitJim's Avatar
DammitJim DammitJim is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
I don't know for sure why they did that, but I would suspect it was due to that being leaked last summer (as well as the original ending).
I knew of the original ending (that whole idea made no sense), b ut the script was barely changed (heart transplant instead of skin transplant), but personaslly I had known of Marcvus' secret until that trailer

btw, any idea which scene in the film is the one where Bale lost his temper with the idiotic DP?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-06-2009, 10:27 AM
jla1987's Avatar
jla1987 jla1987 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DammitJim View Post
I knew of the original ending (that whole idea made no sense), b ut the script was barely changed (heart transplant instead of skin transplant), but personaslly I had known of Marcvus' secret until that trailer

btw, any idea which scene in the film is the one where Bale lost his temper with the idiotic DP?
I knew that Marcus was a Terminator a long while before the leak as well. Casting info really spoiled that, but there was hardly a way for an internet surfer like myself to avoid it.

I'm not sure which scene it was...We may never know.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-07-2009, 03:22 AM
Big D's Avatar
Big D Big D is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,112
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DammitJim View Post
does anyone know why the makers chose to reveal that Marcus was a Terminator in the trailers. I would have prefered to not know just to see if I could figure it out myself?
Probably 'cause it adds to the audience's perceptions of the character. He'd just be an mystery otherwise, right up until the end. Instead, we get to find out that he's totally different from any Terminator we've seen before, but also a logical 'step' between humans and machines. A kind of prototype for the T-800 and their ilk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin
- She releases a Terminator they know nothing about from captivity because, what? She looked into his eyes, felt his heart beat and just.....knew he was good? Give me a break.
Fair point, but he'd also saved her from being assaulted and raped, and basically behaved like an emotional and moral human being. As was noted in the film, if he wanted to kill - or had been designed to - he'd have done so much sooner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by radoskal
the only thing I could nitpick about it was how the resistance seemed to be SO WELL SUPPLIED...planes...trucks....l cars...loads of amo.. and guns...all kinds of computer interfaces apparently not infiltrated in some fashion by skynet, and a medical facility and personnel capable of doing a heart transplant. That's not a resistence...that's a frackin full fledged military. But outside of that little point it was solid.
You make a fine point, and I pondered this too - but something occurs to me: Skynet started off as a military programme. On J-day, it couldn't wipe out too many military or government installations, because it'd basically be shooting itself in the head. Skynet is the data strewn across millions of computers worldwide, so those computers had to remain intact - which meant that the military bases surrounding them couldn't all simply be blown away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DammitJim
btw, any idea which scene in the film is the one where Bale lost his temper with the idiotic DP?
Not sure - though I blame Bale on that one. The guy simply entered Bale's line of sight during a scene, and for a technically sound reason too. Merely seeing a crewmember hardly seems like grounds for a full-blown tantrum. Especially considering that most of John Connor's scenes involved little more than "mumble mumble mumble by machiiiiiiiines... mumble mumble mumble the machiiiiiiiines..."


As for my thoughts on the movie, here's a slightly cleaned-up version of what I said on a different forum:

I never knew John Conner could be such a flat, uninteresting character. Christian Bale managed quite a feat by appearing bored and mumbly for the entire film.

Marcus Wright was a fascinating character, though, and Chekov wasn't bad either.

Lots of **** blew up, there were killer robots, killer robot Arnies, killer robot motorcycles, and killer giant ****ing robots. And lots of **** blew up. Diverting, but not that compelling. Didn't really have the heart and soul of the earlier films and TV show, something I'd feared would happen when the series was taken out of the here-and-now and flung into the too-familiar 'post apocalyptic battlefield' setting.

Still, they did a fairly good job of setting up what we already know will happen later - Terminators that mimic humans, and machines being captured and reprogrammed - while still telling a new story of how that future will come about. I probably won't bother seeing this film a second time, but I'll still look forward to the next one. If nothing else, there's the slim chance of seeing an entire CG army of Summer Glaus and '80s Schwarzeneggers.
__________________


Last edited by Big D : 06-07-2009 at 03:26 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-07-2009, 01:02 PM
DammitJim's Avatar
DammitJim DammitJim is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
Not sure - though I blame Bale on that one. The guy simply entered Bale's line of sight during a scene, and for a technically sound reason too. Merely seeing a crewmember hardly seems like grounds for a full-blown tantrum. Especially considering that most of John Connor's scenes involved little more than "mumble mumble mumble by machiiiiiiiines... mumble mumble mumble the machiiiiiiiines..."
no, that's not what happened at all. the DP kept interfering with the lighting throughout the shoot - while filming was in progress. he had been told off by McG and Bale many times. on a particular hot day, he did it again and Bale lost his temper. you say for a technically sound reason, but filming was in progress and crew members do not do that during a scene. Bale lost his his temper with a co-worker. can any one say they have not done the same, or never will?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
I never knew John Conner could be such a flat, uninteresting character. Christian Bale managed quite a feat by appearing bored and mumbly for the entire film.

Marcus Wright was a fascinating character, though, and Chekov wasn't bad either.
I wholeheartedly disagree here.
Yelchin did a fine job and as did Bale - it was no Bruce Wayne or Machinist but fine work all the same. but Marcus/Worthington was the one I thought was flat and uninteresting. can't see him holding my interest in CLASH OF THE TITANS or AVATAR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
Didn't really have the heart and soul of the earlier films and TV show, something I'd feared would happen when the series was taken out of the here-and-now and flung into the too-familiar 'post apocalyptic battlefield' setting.
only so many times the time travel thing is going to be interesting
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:26 PM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.