The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Literature > Novels, Novellas, Short Stories > Help Me Come up with a List of TOS novels, books...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2009, 01:19 PM
Commander

Default Help Me Come up with a List of TOS novels, books...

that overlap the events in Star Trek XI (2009) in the 'Prime' Universe

I have come up with a few already, add to it as you see fit

Final Frontier (1988) By Diane Carey-may have been the inspiration for the opening scene in the new Star Trek movie, has George Samuel Kirk (James T. Kirk's father) as first officer of the Enterprise, there's an encounter with a Romulan vessel from the future. (this is not the novelization of Star Trek V).

Enterprise: The First Adventure (1986) by Vonda McIntyre-tells the story of Enterprise's first adventure under the command of the newly promoted Captain James T. Kirk, doesn't follow the TOS episodes too closely; has Uhura as Communications officer during Pike's command and Sulu originally transfer to Enterprise as helmsman.

Collision Course (2007) by William Shatner-recounts Spock and Kirk's first encounter and the events that lead Kirk and Spock's to enroll into Starfleet Academy.

The Kobayashi Maru (1989) by Julia Ecklar-Kirk recounts the story of how he beat the Kobayashi Maru training exercise at Starfleet Academy

Enterprise (My Brother's Keeper, Book 3) by Michael Jan Friedman-takes place after "Where No Man Has Gone Before," includes Kirk's first encounter with Lieutenant Uhura (and it wasn't in a bar).

Aftershock: Starfleet Academy by John Vornholt recounts Kirk's first encounter with McCoy at Starfleet Academy and how McCoy meets Spock.

Last edited by chator : 06-25-2009 at 09:41 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:17 AM
Ensign

Hey everyone.......what will happen now that the new movie is totally different (alternate reality) will people still write & publish books about the normal reality continuing on with the normal Star Trek we all know (you know, the one where planet Vulcan still exists and Spocks mom is still alive lol)?
Old 05-25-2009, 11:23 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenOF9 View Post
Hey everyone.......what will happen now that the new movie is totally different (alternate reality) will people still write & publish books about the normal reality continuing on with the normal Star Trek we all know (you know, the one where planet Vulcan still exists and Spocks mom is still alive lol)?
I hope so. Alot of the writers that have been writing books have been writing for the 'Prime' Universe, I don't think they are all going to suddenly jump on the wagon train that J.J.'s conducting and abandon the 'Prime' Universe.

The book reading audience is different from the movie going audience. It makes sense to create a Trek that will appeal to the Star Wars/Sci-fi Action fans, and the average movie goer, not just Trekkies, but when it comes to books, who largely makes up the readership?
Old 01-27-2010, 08:39 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
I hope so. Alot of the writers that have been writing books have been writing for the 'Prime' Universe, I don't think they are all going to suddenly jump on the wagon train that J.J.'s conducting and abandon the 'Prime' Universe.

The book reading audience is different from the movie going audience. It makes sense to create a Trek that will appeal to the Star Wars/Sci-fi Action fans, and the average movie goer, not just Trekkies, but when it comes to books, who largely makes up the readership?
I never cared for Star Wars, and I never will. I already loved Star Trek, and after this movie I love Star Trek even more. I think this movie is way beter than Star Wars. Actually all of Star Trek including the new movie put toghter is way better than Star Wars! Star Wars always seemed so boring and long, but Star Trek was and is always intresting, and not to metion more realstic.Anyways I'm off the topic here. I love the prime universe as well as this new altertintve universe. I have read some books of the prime and still am. I'm actually adding up on the books in the prime universe, mainly TOS because its my most favorite show/movie.However I do have a few TNG books and might get some more of those later.I would love to get books in this new timeline, since there has never been any before. I got so excited about the release of the books related to the 2009 movie, and then here recentaly, they put them on hold. I was really disapointed about that.But they put them on hold because of the interferance with the story line in the sequel. So I hope they will still release the books around after the sequel is out in theaters. I still would like to read them and see what they are like. They seemed to be very intresting, and I hope they still come out. I guess we wont know until the makes of the sequel is in place.