The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > What do you think of Chris Pine as Kirk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2009, 04:30 AM
Vice Admiral

Default What do you think of Chris Pine as Kirk

What do you think of Chris Pine's Kirk and why

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Old 05-17-2009, 04:39 AM
Ensign

I liked him, I thought he was very believable. He certainly had the charm and charisma of Shatner, but in his own way. I liked the fact that he made the character his own. I look forward to seeing him in the sequel and whether his character changes slightly with more experience, as you definitely get the impression in this film that he is beginning to mature and accept the weight of the responsibility that comes with being Captain.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:04 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarTrekXIfan View Post
I liked him, I thought he was very believable. He certainly had the charm and charisma of Shatner, but in his own way. I liked the fact that he made the character his own. I look forward to seeing him in the sequel and whether his character changes slightly with more experience, as you definitely get the impression in this film that he is beginning to mature and accept the weight of the responsibility that comes with being Captain.
Pretty much my feeling as well. He was good at the comic scenes as well. This movie had much more slap stick humor than many of the previous Trek movies, except for V.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:15 AM
Lieutenant

i liked chris pine played as kirk. he played kirk pretty close to shatner i thought and that energy, drive that we expect in kirk to be a leader and captain. i'm really looking forward seeing pine play kirk again and calling pine for now on James T. Kirk cause that's who he is now.

All i ask is a tall ship, stars to sail her by.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:25 AM
Vice Admiral

Yes he needs to act more like captain do you think so

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Old 05-17-2009, 05:25 AM
Ensign

I liked Chris Pine's interpretation of Kirk. Swash-buckling, confident, a womanizer. Take that, Picard!
When I first saw the movie poster with Chris' face-down, eyes-forward leer, I thought, man, this oughta be good. Happily, I was right.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:45 AM
Ensign

Pine is Kirk. I'm glad we got to see what made Kirk who he is before he went to Starfleet. It helped me understand why Kirk is who he is, and now I like him all the better.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:01 AM
Rear Admiral

Pine is Kirk.

But Shatner is Kirk too.

I think we've now reaching the point where we can regard Kirk in the same light as James Bond with people might be able to identify more with the character than the actor who plays him.

That being said, I think Pine did a great job in capturing the essence of Kirk. Pine's Kirk grew up differently than Shatner's Kirk--which was an ambitious overachiever from the start, IMO--and became a "bad boy" much earlier in life than he did originally.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:50 AM
Ensign

Default Shatnerian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
I think we've now reaching the point where we can regard Kirk in the same light as James Bond with people might be able to identify more with the character than the actor who plays him.
Not me. Ian Fleming created Bond. Shatner created Kirk. There is no other actor who ever had the balls to make such an *** of himself and get away with it.

Pine was superb! Superlative, and I thank him for a super stellar performance -- and god do I give him credit. Can you imagine the nads to step into Shatner's shoes and pull it off? But I will never separate Captain Kirk from Bill Shatner.

Put another way, if Pine had measured up to Shatner no better than Roger Moore measured up to Connery, we'd be calling for his neck. Pine had a much tougher job than Moore or Brosnan or Craig, and he nailed it.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:14 AM
Commander

I agree with what everyone else here said. I do hope he keeps a significant amount of that wild attitude, but has it tempered both by maturity and by Spock. I think that would be an excellent way to move into developing the relationship between Spock and Kirk as we see Spock sort of reigning Kirk in a bit more.

Pine did a fantastic job managing to be like Shatner's Kirk but also his own Kirk at the same time. It was a hard job to pull off and he did it.