The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Star Trek Thoughts (More than likely Rants)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-13-2009, 02:23 AM
Magnum Magnum is offline
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 185
Default Star Trek Thoughts (More than likely Rants)

Well I have been to a lot of other fan sites about Star Trek. This forum for Star Trek is in the minority when it comes to positive thoughts on the new movie. On a few Fan based forums, they warn people about coming to this forum saying its a "company" forum. What are your thoughts on this? What I find amazing are how many people are livid in their hatrid of the new Star Trek movie. Yet I see no mention of that here in this forum.

I read in another thread (Here in these forums) that there were no star trek fans in a full theatre of 20-29 year olds. So I guess Paramount has gotten what it wants, Fans who don't give a flip about 43 years of Star Trek History.

I find it amazing that several dozen authors over the years have had to work with Canon and have come up with amazing, origional and imaginative stories (Pardon my spelling errors) Why couldn't paramount had hired one of these authors to write a good script? Several still write about the normal Kirk-Spock-McCoy universe. I would say there are about 300 or more stories about the TOS with Kirk Spock etc in them. Thats a lot of good origional story material to work with.

I wonder, what if Abrams had decided to stick with canon and make this movie we saw with the TOS Enterprise? Would it had been as good as this one? (Same script, (Pine as kirk,) just the ship etc were canon) We do not know what the young audiences would had thought if abrams had made a Star Trek Movie in the style of the 1960's. A lot of people have said it would be a disaster, (Here on the forums that is) but are they sure? And how do they know it would be a disaster to had stuck with the TOS? No one hired good writers to make a movie in the TOS style so we will never know.

The books that have been written about the TOS often make the Top 25 or so on book selling charts. That shows they are popular still.

Another thing, I have not seen many people say that the TOS was old and showed its age. However, I have read many people say Star Trek is still as good as ever after 43 years. But I have not seen that in this forum.

Many people say that this studying the canon is a waste of time. I can name several college courses (With full credit mind you) that study less real subjects than Star Trek Canon.

So these are my thoughts. As a Star Trek Fan of 43 years, I feel a few on these forums don't care that we fans have watched over star trek, written novels about it, and supported it by buying the DVDs over all those years. I saw nothing in the movie that appealed to the Fans. Only stuff designed to lure in replacement fans,

And thats my Opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-13-2009, 03:16 AM
Sneiko Katratze Sneiko Katratze is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 69
Default

Which forums are you refering to?

I plan to visit them.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-13-2009, 03:33 AM
Vagrant Zero Vagrant Zero is offline
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 174
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
Well I have been to a lot of other fan sites about Star Trek. This forum for Star Trek is in the minority when it comes to positive thoughts on the new movie.

I stopped reading right there since the rest of your post seemed like it was heading into tinfoil territory.

The reason you see an overwhelmingly positive response to the movie here ISN'T because of some grand conspiracy by paramount to control your brain, it's because the overwhelming response to the movie has been positive EVERYWHERE.

Same random craphole on the internet doesn't change that. I could link you to where the rather pathetic diehards of the Original Battlestar hang out. If you simply surf their forums you'll come away with the impression that the majority of old school fans hate the new Battlestar and that's so far out of touch with reality it borders on something you'd expect to see in the trekkie fanbase. Oh wait...we are seeing it in the trekkie fanbase. Fancy that.

The truth is those "diehards" are so freaking obnoxious (like the trekkie diehards) that they were thrown out of the majority of communities by their more rational peers. That's their final little haven, where they can gather together, and nerd-rage without persecution and ridicule (and oh were they ridiculed...I miss the glory days).

The reality is this:
Trek has grossed 87Mil in 4 days. This is win. End of line.

And finally a disclaimer. Paramount is controlling my brain and forcing me to post this. RAWR.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-13-2009, 05:08 AM
Kataan Kataan is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 66
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant Zero View Post
The reality is this:
Trek has grossed 87Mil in 4 days. This is win. End of line.
My only only complaint is while 87mil in 4-days is good, they still a little further to go to break even since I was reading somewhere that it cost something like 140mil to make this movie. Will they make the 140mil, probably, but I just want to point out that most other movies are judged to as sucsessful once they pass the break even point. If this movie goes onto make only $142 million, was it sucessful? Yes to some degree because they did make their cash back. But from what I have seen in Hollywood succesful is when you spend 50 million to make a movie and you make 100 million in sales. Lots of people have been pointing out that this movie surpassed all the other star trek movies by a long shot, but isn't that like comparing apples to oranges as far as money goes. As far as I know all the other trek movies at least broke even with the cost to produce vs final sales figures. And I am pretty sure that none of them cost 140 million to make, but I could be mistaken. Imagine what 140 million dollars might have done for one of the lesser liked star trek films that didn't do as well? Just some thoughts.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-13-2009, 05:33 AM
Magnum Magnum is offline
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 185
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant Zero View Post
I stopped reading right there since the rest of your post seemed like it was heading into tinfoil territory.

The reason you see an overwhelmingly positive response to the movie here ISN'T because of some grand conspiracy by paramount to control your brain, it's because the overwhelming response to the movie has been positive EVERYWHERE.

Same random craphole on the internet doesn't change that. I could link you to where the rather pathetic diehards of the Original Battlestar hang out. If you simply surf their forums you'll come away with the impression that the majority of old school fans hate the new Battlestar and that's so far out of touch with reality it borders on something you'd expect to see in the trekkie fanbase. Oh wait...we are seeing it in the trekkie fanbase. Fancy that.

The truth is those "diehards" are so freaking obnoxious (like the trekkie diehards) that they were thrown out of the majority of communities by their more rational peers. That's their final little haven, where they can gather together, and nerd-rage without persecution and ridicule (and oh were they ridiculed...I miss the glory days).

The reality is this:
Trek has grossed 87Mil in 4 days. This is win. End of line.

And finally a disclaimer. Paramount is controlling my brain and forcing me to post this. RAWR.
Why don't you at least comment on the books. Several authors have found it easy to stay in canon. Many of their books hit the top 25 or higher.

I feel if Abrams had stuck to canon, used pine as Captain Kirk, the film would had hit 200 million by the 4th day of release.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-13-2009, 06:22 AM
JSnyder4's Avatar
JSnyder4 JSnyder4 is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 942
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
Why don't you at least comment on the books.
I will!

I think they pretty much suck with so very few exceptions.
Do they do the job that hardcore Trekkies require; that being serving up something to dull the junkie withdrawal? Yeah. That doesn't magically make them good, nor that they stay within their own established and controlled continuity is an esteemed point in their favor either.

For many this is the way that the show will go on for them.
Great. Fine. Trek books have never been big sellers. Never will be.

Trek lit has always been labors of love, starting back in fanzine days.
Now... it's churned out by the numbers. Hey cool, no worries. Not my cup o' tea anyway.

I pretty much despise the Star Wars books as well. Same philosophy, and for many of those fans the same obsessive continuity attitude. In fact Star Trek has cloned that tightly controlled routine from Star Wars. Only recently has it dared to branch out again and defy the constraints of the boxed in theology with the Myriad Universes books. Imagine!, being able to do something "different" and not worry about continuity.

In fact, the only real interest for many of the Trek lit fans is how well the author stays within their limiting bounds of continuity. The story itself is rather immaterial. Just get the continuity right. Fans get positively irate when there are deviations between books. I have to ask myself why an author would even venture into the Trek universe anymore when the fan backlash is so pronounced on even this niche of a niche of a niche product. Perhaps that's why both Trek and Wars have begun to severely limit the authors they engage for stories.

So be happy with your books.
Whatever gets you though the day.

Wanna talk about the comics next?
__________________
"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad, and it's... depressing."
"Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass"
"A sacrifice a day keeps Jesus away"

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-13-2009, 08:22 AM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,046
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnyder4 View Post
I will!

I think they pretty much suck with so very few exceptions.
Do they do the job that hardcore Trekkies require; that being serving up something to dull the junkie withdrawal? Yeah. That doesn't magically make them good, nor that they stay within their own established and controlled continuity is an esteemed point in their favor either.

For many this is the way that the show will go on for them.
Great. Fine. Trek books have never been big sellers. Never will be.

Trek lit has always been labors of love, starting back in fanzine days.
Now... it's churned out by the numbers. Hey cool, no worries. Not my cup o' tea anyway.

I pretty much despise the Star Wars books as well. Same philosophy, and for many of those fans the same obsessive continuity attitude. In fact Star Trek has cloned that tightly controlled routine from Star Wars. Only recently has it dared to branch out again and defy the constraints of the boxed in theology with the Myriad Universes books. Imagine!, being able to do something "different" and not worry about continuity.

In fact, the only real interest for many of the Trek lit fans is how well the author stays within their limiting bounds of continuity. The story itself is rather immaterial. Just get the continuity right. Fans get positively irate when there are deviations between books. I have to ask myself why an author would even venture into the Trek universe anymore when the fan backlash is so pronounced on even this niche of a niche of a niche product. Perhaps that's why both Trek and Wars have begun to severely limit the authors they engage for stories.

So be happy with your books.
Whatever gets you though the day.

Wanna talk about the comics next?
Well said, the books turned me off years ago.
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-13-2009, 09:08 AM
radoskal's Avatar
radoskal radoskal is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 952
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant Zero View Post
I stopped reading right there since the rest of your post seemed like it was heading into tinfoil territory.

The reason you see an overwhelmingly positive response to the movie here ISN'T because of some grand conspiracy by paramount to control your brain, it's because the overwhelming response to the movie has been positive EVERYWHERE.

Same random craphole on the internet doesn't change that. I could link you to where the rather pathetic diehards of the Original Battlestar hang out. If you simply surf their forums you'll come away with the impression that the majority of old school fans hate the new Battlestar and that's so far out of touch with reality it borders on something you'd expect to see in the trekkie fanbase. Oh wait...we are seeing it in the trekkie fanbase. Fancy that.

The truth is those "diehards" are so freaking obnoxious (like the trekkie diehards) that they were thrown out of the majority of communities by their more rational peers. That's their final little haven, where they can gather together, and nerd-rage without persecution and ridicule (and oh were they ridiculed...I miss the glory days).

The reality is this:
Trek has grossed 87Mil in 4 days. This is win. End of line.

And finally a disclaimer. Paramount is controlling my brain and forcing me to post this. RAWR.
Dude where is this place, i'd totally read what some of the diehard BSGers have to say...
__________________
Mom, how many times do I have to tell you, Track is what athletes run on. Trek is what the Enterprise goes on.

-Free Enterprise
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-13-2009, 10:43 AM
Flamegrape's Avatar
Flamegrape Flamegrape is offline
Midshipman
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant Zero View Post
I stopped reading right there since the rest of your post seemed like it was heading into tinfoil territory.
I stopped reading right there because the rest of your post was insulting.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-13-2009, 05:00 AM
I-Am-Zim I-Am-Zim is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Carolina, USA, Earth
Posts: 3,432
Default

I can understand the viewpoint of a lot of the diehard fans. I have actually checked out a couple of discussion forums dealing with the new Trek movie and Magnum is right. There's a lot of hate. But here, on this one, we all try to get along. Regardless of the way we feel about the new movie. This forum is just more civilized than some of the others I've seen. That's why I'm a member here and nowhere else. I, personally had major misgivings about this movie once the pictures and plot points first started to appear. I am a "die hard" fan, as some like to point out. I have been a TOS fan for over 30 years. And I was not happy with the changes that Mr. Abrams had wrought upon my favorite sci-fi franchise. I'm still not happy about it, but I can live with it because of the alternate reality concept in that this movie is not a part of the original Trek universe. That universe that includes TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, VOY, and all the movies still exists, continues, and has the potential to be revisited at some point if CBS and TPTB deem it appropriate. I don't like the Abramsprise, the iBridge, or the new Engineering section. But I feel that the actors did great in their roles. Especially Karl Urban's Bones. Absolutely spot on. I was extremely upset over the destruction of Vulcan, death of Amanda, and the rediculous Spock/Uhura...thing. But I can deal with it given the knowledge that this movie is not an attempt to overwrite or erase the last 43 years of established Star Trek history. I don't like it. But there's nothing I can do about it now. So I have no choice but to deal with it.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:06 AM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.