The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > The Next Generation > What was the official reason Muldaur replaced McFadden temporarily?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2009, 06:35 PM
Commander

Default What was the official reason Muldaur replaced McFadden temporarily?

I just want to know. No one ever explained it to me, and I've never found anything written anywhere about it. Could someone who knows please explain it to me? Thank's in advance.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:33 PM
Vice Admiral

Not a clue but wiki said Roddenberry never wanted her in the first place and wanted Muldaur from the beginning. So if you wish you can surmise that their working relationship wasnt that good from the start and maybe she said enough and walked. I would imagine the 'official' reason was the usual 'creative differences' thing. Hollwood same-ol same-ol.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:34 PM
Commander

From what I'm aware, Gates McFadden left the show for reasons broadly similar to what made Denise Crosby quit. Only, Ms McFadden went on a temporary hiatus, unlike her colleague's permanent departure.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:45 PM
Rear Admiral

It was "creative differences", whatever that means.

Thankfully they did not kill her character off, they just mentioned her form time to time during season 2.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:03 PM
Commander

Wow! Holy frippin' Zot! You mean she left, Muldaur took her place, possibly permanently, and then, when Roddenberry died, whoever was in charge of STNG brought her back? That is a phenomenal event in Star Trek history! If she hadn't have returned, a lot of important stories would have turned out vastly different. Not to mention the 7th season finale! I just thought she had a personal medical problem and had to have surgery and recover from it. That's the rumor I heard. But this is an absolute revelation to me. I wouldn't have guessed it would be just Gene's vanity in a million years!
Old 04-30-2009, 10:34 AM
Fleet Admiral

Wasn't Roddenberry still in charge during the third season? Anyway, I guess he brought Muldaur in, knowing her from TOS.

This is what MA (http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Gates_McFadden) has to offer about the subject, but they give no source for their information:

McFadden left the series during the second season, replaced by Diana Muldaur as Doctor Katherine Pulaski. Officially, the producers felt that the character of Crusher had not developed as well as they had hoped. Unofficially, there were some disagreements between the show's producers and McFadden as to how the character should develop, which may have led to some bad blood between her and several executive producers, resulting in McFadden's being released from her contract before the second season. But thanks to a letter-writing campaign, support from Patrick Stewart, and a personal invitation from Rick Berman, McFadden was brought back to the TNG cast for the third and subsequent seasons.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:00 AM
Admiral

I thought it was because she was pregnant
Founding member of The League of Extraordinary Oddballs
A new tech support site http://www.community.jvgeek.com
Old 04-30-2009, 02:15 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Wasn't Roddenberry still in charge during the third season? Anyway, I guess he brought Muldaur in, knowing her from TOS.

This is what MA (http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Gates_McFadden) has to offer about the subject, but they give no source for their information:

McFadden left the series during the second season, replaced by Diana Muldaur as Doctor Katherine Pulaski. Officially, the producers felt that the character of Crusher had not developed as well as they had hoped. Unofficially, there were some disagreements between the show's producers and McFadden as to how the character should develop, which may have led to some bad blood between her and several executive producers, resulting in McFadden's being released from her contract before the second season. But thanks to a letter-writing campaign, support from Patrick Stewart, and a personal invitation from Rick Berman, McFadden was brought back to the TNG cast for the third and subsequent seasons.
The Continuing Missions TNG retrospective says broadly the same. That she had been 'persistent in asking for expanded parts and rewritten dialogue' and for strengthening her character. So, at the end of the season she was released from her contract.

However, Pulaski didn't work out either, and so McFadden was invited back to reprise Crusher. Reportedly (and perhaps due to a less than cordial exit first time around) the rumour was she was hired back at a lower salary than the rest of the cast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed Starkiller View Post
I thought it was because she was pregnant
She didn't have a pregnancy until season 4 was filming.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 04-30-2009, 02:18 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
She didn't have a pregnancy until season 4 was filming.
Ahh...yes. The big blue flowing jacket time!! They hid her pregnancy well, although in an obvious way.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:48 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
However, Pulaski didn't work out either, and so McFadden was invited back to reprise Crusher. Reportedly (and perhaps due to a less than cordial exit first time around) the rumour was she was hired back at a lower salary than the rest of the cast.
Union rules might have prevented that unless her actual role was downgraded. Perhaps the number of episodes per season was reduced. Rumor also was that she had to be persuaded to come back by the cast. If so, actors often stand up for each other in terms of pay.