The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Will Star Trek ever shake the 'only for nerds' stigma?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2008, 03:59 AM
Midshipman

Default Will Star Trek ever shake the 'only for nerds' stigma?

While I am excited about this movie, all of my 'mainstream' friends gave a chuckle when I told them how much I wanted to see this movie. They made crude jokes about Spock's ears, Kirk as a womanizer, etc.

All of these things they picked up from the Star Trek fan stigma. It's more widespread than you think it is!

For example, Star Wars fans are not in any way considered as having as poor taste in entertainment as Star Trek fans are. For some reason Star Wars never fully gained that sort of mainstream 'running joke' that Star Trek has with non fans, the mainstream types.

Is this because it's about War, instead of complex issues dressed up as Sci-fi? I think so. They like or at least accept Star Wars since it is the most dumbed down Sci-fi you can get for the mainstream. Star Trek is too complex, they see it as an 'inside' thing.

Why try to even watch when others will shame you? Why start to watch when you are 28 seasons and 10 movies out of touch?

All you have to do is watch 6 Star Wars movies, with the last 3 Star Wars movies being on a catatonic auto pilot in terms of story, then you are an 'expert'?

Something to think of.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:11 AM
Lieutenant

If by "Nerd" you mean
"enthusiastic Fan"
then Yes
Old 02-14-2008, 06:43 AM
Ensign

Will Star Trek ever shake the 'only for nerds' stigma?

No, and I don’t care. It’s my experience that ST fans are more intelligent and more sensible to social issues than the average people. In that sense, we will forever see as “nerds” or as some sort of strange persons. But that is an asset for life, thought we see the world and the universe with a more profound awareness. Be proud!
Old 02-16-2008, 05:20 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant-7 View Post
Will Star Trek ever shake the 'only for nerds' stigma?

No, and I don’t care. It’s my experience that ST fans are more intelligent and more sensible to social issues than the average people. In that sense, we will forever see as “nerds” or as some sort of strange persons. But that is an asset for life, thought we see the world and the universe with a more profound awareness. Be proud!

Amen.
Also, a common trend I've found while being out in the 'real world' and on the
'streets', all the greatest people I've ever known/worked with, were Trekkies
like me. Us 'nerds' really know how to enjoy life and become enjoyable
people to be around. Not to brag or anything, but I'm considered one of the
favorite team leads to work for at the big box store I work at. And, just
about everyone knows, I'm a Trekkie and not ashamed of it.

"It might not be so bad. For all we know the Vorta could be gluttonous, alcoholic sex maniacs."
~Quark and Ziyal
Old 02-14-2008, 06:52 AM
Lieutenant Commander

The 3 most successful Treks WERE accepted by masses and excellently reviewed. Wrath of Khan,Voyage Home, First Contact. 2 others (Search for Spock and Undiscovered Country also did relatively well but not quite as well.

If a well written and well executed film is made and is reviewed well both by mainstream reviewers and word of mouth it will bring in casual fans and main streamers who might not otherwise see a Trek production.

The people who are generally considered the Geeks or nerds are the folks who are very very passionate about Trek to the degree they go to many conventions and/or dress as a character or split hairs on canon etc. There is nothing wrong with that but the way they have been portrayed as fanatics (Fan Addicts) is what has skewed perceptions somewhat. People always make fun of what they don't understand.

I have mentioned to coworkers and others "Hey have you heard about the new Trek Flick comin?" The answer is generally, "NO please not another". then I tell em well its like going back to the early Kirk days and then folks perk up a bit...Oh yeah they say. Then I tell them the guys who made Alias, Lost and MI3 are making it and then I get . OH wow I love LOST , that could be some cool Trek.

Point is most folks arent even aware of this new vision....

Last edited by ThePhaige : 02-14-2008 at 06:56 AM.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:58 AM
Ensign

N - Not
E - Even
R - Remotely
D - Dorky

Seriously though i dont think Trek will unfortunately ever lose its 'nerdy' image, its too well ingrained in mainstream culture as a refuge for geeks and dateless wonders.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:28 AM
Midshipman

The only way Star Trek will lose its "only for nerds" stigma (IMO) is if other media begin to (seriously) parody the show. Star Wars has over the years been parodied by many different shows, and has mainly had a more serious tone about it than say SNL's depiction of Star Trek. Most recently, Family Guy and Robot Chicken parodied Star Wars (Family Guy even followed EP4 nearly line for line) which boosted popularity of SW within the Family Guy and Robot Chicken audiences. The same will probably need to be done for Star Trek in order for it to lose that stigma. Unfortunatly, I think we will always be haunted by the more comical parodies that label ST as a nerd show.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:33 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpathiavh99 View Post
The only way Star Trek will lose its "only for nerds" stigma (IMO) is if other media begin to (seriously) parody the show. Star Wars has over the years been parodied by many different shows, and has mainly had a more serious tone about it than say SNL's depiction of Star Trek. Most recently, Family Guy and Robot Chicken parodied Star Wars (Family Guy even followed EP4 nearly line for line) which boosted popularity of SW within the Family Guy and Robot Chicken audiences. The same will probably need to be done for Star Trek in order for it to lose that stigma. Unfortunatly, I think we will always be haunted by the more comical parodies that label ST as a nerd show.
So..yeah. The qustion is who would parody ST? I have yet to see if my post on the Lego forms has gotten any responces yet (Lego Star Trek!!! The game! And hopefully set line as well!) But, other than them, who? Probably not FG or RC, for they already have done damage to the cause (Two Kirks, A khan and a pizza place!) If people are serious about this, then that question must be answered. Well, off to check the Lego foums!
Old 07-24-2008, 10:31 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief_bubba View Post
So..yeah. The qustion is who would parody ST? I have yet to see if my post on the Lego forms has gotten any responces yet (Lego Star Trek!!! The game! And hopefully set line as well!) But, other than them, who? Probably not FG or RC, for they already have done damage to the cause (Two Kirks, A khan and a pizza place!) If people are serious about this, then that question must be answered. Well, off to check the Lego foums!

I do know the creator for Family Guy wants to do a parody... Hopefully paramount will let him
Old 07-24-2008, 10:59 AM
Fleet Admiral

Legally, no one needs permission to make a parody of an existing production at all. The only permission needed is to use copywritten material (music, sounds, images) from that production. On the other hand, cooperation from and with Paramount might make a better, richer parody of it for such material being shared by the studio.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!