The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > First Review! Spoiler Free.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2009, 02:16 PM
Commander

Default First Review! Spoiler Free.

From: http://andrewstevenharris.wordpress....re-everything/

"On that level, it’s a story that will appeal not just to Trek fans, but universally to any fans of good storytelling, who can connect with individuals and the relationships that develop between them, with their character arcs of growth, failure and sacrifice, and their authentic human experiences even amidst the backdrop of exploding photon torpedoes.
Were there things I didn’t think were perfect? Well, sure. I thought that Nero actually read a little flat on the page—no pun intended—but, having seen even just brief clips of Eric Bana’s performance from the TV spots and trailers, I realize now that he could see in the script what I didn’t. He’s definitely taken the character and punched him through to the stratosphere.
I also thought there was one brief action set-piece that felt a bit too familiar to one from another film of the same genre (again, no spoilers, so I won’t say what); but when you’ve seen as many SF films, episodes, comics, scripts and pitches as I have, sooner or later you’ll find all sorts of moments that can start to seem familiar. It’s the only one I found in the script here, though, and if it’s executed correctly on the screen, it’s going to be a fantastic sequence.
So, all right, it’s a great script. But Star Trek scripts need to be more than great stories; they need to be great Trek, and that means fidelity to all the precise continuity that goes along with it. Talk of reboots and reworkings and reimaginings makes fans afraid that they’re about to rewatch Tim Burton’s Planet of the Apes. We’ve all seen Greedo shoot first, and in Hollywood the words “trust me” and “**** off” often sound remarkably identical. When I moderated the Star Trek panel at the San Diego Comic-Con last year, the subject of the film naturally came up, and Wil Wheaton, sitting next to me, put it best: “We are all living in a Post-Phantom Menace World.”
I also have a number of good friends who have written Trek professionally for the screen, and as much as I fully respect them, there’s a sentiment among some that resists not just change, but any change. Those friends might very well disagree with me about this script, but it’s likely that they would have been disappointed no matter what story was made. Hell, some Star Trek fans already have Internet firefights worthy of the Dominion War, and that’s just for stories that didn’t restart the franchise. I couldn’t produce stories that pleased every single one of those fans when I ran the Trek titles at IDW, and Orci/Kurtzman don’t make the mistake of attempting to do that here.
But, just in case you’re concerned that this story marks its new continuity by pissing all over the old one, let me reassure you: That isn’t what happens here. The script doesn’t ignore 40+ years of continuity, it doesn’t replace it and it doesn’t even eulogize it. It constructs a deceptively elegant device to leave in place all that has gone before, while striking off in a bold new direction. It’s a fresh coat of paint on the ship that we’re all already familiar and comfortable with.
There is indeed a moment in the script—I won’t say what it is, even though it’s already been leaked and widely discussed, since I promised no spoilers—that indelibly marks this as a new continuity; it’s sure to be controversial among the fans, but it’s not a cheap stunt or way of dismissing the old stories. It’s the story’s way of cementing a new identity all its own.
It’s also entirely fair to say that Paramount has hoped to refit the franchise for a new generation, acutely aware of the gently aging demographic that has devoted itself up until now; and in that respect it definitely represents a more modern sensibility and departure from the back-to-basics, “Enterprise gets involved in two warring factions on a planet” type of routine story that made Insurrection such an epic fail.
But while teens will most definitely love it, I’ll also say that my dad is 72 years old, wouldn’t know a phaser from a fork in a toaster, and I’m going to make him see it on opening weekend. It’s a story that communicates everything we’ve loved about Trek, to the masses who could never quite fathom why we loved it; it is, in almost every way, the Star Trek movie we’ve been waiting for."
Old 04-06-2009, 02:19 PM
Federation Councillor

So this person has seen the full script, but not the film?

Although I'm enthused by the references that canon has not been whitewashed.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 04-06-2009, 02:34 PM
Fleet Admiral

Wow. If that is true, it will rule the world

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 04-06-2009, 02:35 PM
Lieutenant Commander

He really makes greatly clear that the character development is off the chart, along with the blizz...It was nice to read it and not be spoiled as well.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:41 PM
Rear Admiral

I wish I hadn't read this. Now I'm having an even harder time waiting for May 8th. Must... contain... excitement...

Only 32 days to go.

Last edited by Diron Hod : 04-06-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:14 PM
Commander

Is it May 8th yet? This is killing me!
Old 04-06-2009, 04:01 PM
Commander

I'd love to know how this guy got that info.

I don't believe him for a second. I believe it's great. I just don't believe he's seen the script or the film.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:11 PM
Lieutenant Commander

He is a known guy in Trek Circles. No reason to lie, but I'm always leery, so I hear where your coming from, but hes legit.

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Andrew_Steven_Harris

Old 04-06-2009, 06:42 PM
Commander

I get that he's a known guy, I just find it hard to believe that with all the security surrounding this film and the fact that the scripts were controlled as tightly as they were that this guy would get a copy of the finished screenplay.

It just seems...non sequitur...to me. That's all.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:53 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShirtWalking View Post
I get that he's a known guy, I just find it hard to believe that with all the security surrounding this film and the fact that the scripts were controlled as tightly as they were that this guy would get a copy of the finished screenplay.

It just seems...non sequitur...to me. That's all.
It does, I agree with you, I am always skeptical of these kind of postings and blogs, but he does have a strict non disclosure agreement and too much to lose risking the scrutiny and backlash of making up such a story.