The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Spock's Bridge Outburst, WARNING: Contains speculation that may be actually spoilers?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-16-2009, 02:20 PM
omegaman's Avatar
omegaman omegaman is offline
Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Penrith NSW Australia
Posts: 4,603
Default Spock's Bridge Outburst, WARNING: Contains speculation that may be actually spoilers?

Does Spock's outburst with Kirk on the bridge of the new Enterprise mean something significant?

Could contain spoilers:
__________________
TREK IS TREK. WHATEVER THE TIMELINE!

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-16-2009, 02:31 PM
CAPTAIN MOUSE's Avatar
CAPTAIN MOUSE CAPTAIN MOUSE is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Placerville,CA
Posts: 2,564
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
Does Spock's outburst with Kirk on the bridge of the new Enterprise mean something significant?

Could contain spoilers:
It is my belief that New Spock is merely younger and not as disciplined as his counterpart is in TOS. Plus it has always been a struggle for Spock in any era to keep emotions in check. Remember his little outburst with Valeris? When he slapped the phaser away and growled with anger at her in TUC?
__________________
CAN YOU CATCH SECOND HAND STUPIDITY? OR SHOULD I BE CONCERNED ABOUT THE WATER HERE? - JEFF DUNHAM
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-16-2009, 02:45 PM
MrQ1701's Avatar
MrQ1701 MrQ1701 is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Espanola, New Mexico
Posts: 3,940
Default

Spock will be younger and in less control of his emotions.
__________________
To secure the peace is to prepare for war. -Metallica
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-16-2009, 03:20 PM
cjopbj cjopbj is offline
Lieutenant Commander
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 581
Default

Spock shows emotion on Star Trek all the time. He's playfully irritated with McCoy, he's loyal to Kirk, caring of the ship and crew, and very easily embarrased of his human side. The computer I'm using to send this message shows me none of these feelings unless I press the icon buttom

He's cried and laughed. It wouldn't be Star Trek if it wasn't about trying to make Spock show emotions.

The entire basis of the McCoy/Spock banter is that McCoy is trying to help Spock release emotions in a gradual, safe manner so he doesn't bottle them all up and explode. Since the movie apparently is set around the time Spock meets McCoy, it makes sense that he's kept his emotions under lock and key and is ripe for an outburst. Spock learned a lot from McCoy. I hope the movie gives McCoy his due.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-17-2009, 07:51 PM
Digginonrand's Avatar
Digginonrand Digginonrand is offline
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjopbj View Post
Spock shows emotion on Star Trek all the time. He's playfully irritated with McCoy, he's loyal to Kirk, caring of the ship and crew, and very easily embarrased of his human side. The computer I'm using to send this message shows me none of these feelings unless I press the icon buttom

He's cried and laughed. It wouldn't be Star Trek if it wasn't about trying to make Spock show emotions.

The entire basis of the McCoy/Spock banter is that McCoy is trying to help Spock release emotions in a gradual, safe manner so he doesn't bottle them all up and explode. Since the movie apparently is set around the time Spock meets McCoy, it makes sense that he's kept his emotions under lock and key and is ripe for an outburst. Spock learned a lot from McCoy. I hope the movie gives McCoy his due.

This is what I love about Star Trek! Spock and McCoy's relationship . . the best part of TOS.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-17-2009, 11:51 PM
VeridianIII VeridianIII is offline
Midshipman
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 11
Default

I hope there is an explaination because all justification aside it seems out of character. Spock says more without saying it, or if he does fly off the handle he'd just do it not whine.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-18-2009, 06:25 AM
NickyTea's Avatar
NickyTea NickyTea is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digginonrand View Post
This is what I love about Star Trek! Spock and McCoy's relationship . . the best part of TOS.
Indeed. I'll add Kirk to that. He is the middle man between their extremes.

I have a feeling, however, we'er going to have to wait for a sequel to see examples of this on screen. This movie seems to be very Kirk-Spock-centric.
__________________
-Nick
---------------
Follow my episode-by-episode re-analysis of TOS: http://trekbytrek.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-19-2009, 07:32 AM
CAPTAIN MOUSE's Avatar
CAPTAIN MOUSE CAPTAIN MOUSE is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Placerville,CA
Posts: 2,564
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyTea View Post
Indeed. I'll add Kirk to that. He is the middle man between their extremes.

I have a feeling, however, we'er going to have to wait for a sequel to see examples of this on screen. This movie seems to be very Kirk-Spock-centric.
I have to agree...In order to flesh out the relationship of the trio there has to be another movie.
__________________
CAN YOU CATCH SECOND HAND STUPIDITY? OR SHOULD I BE CONCERNED ABOUT THE WATER HERE? - JEFF DUNHAM
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-16-2009, 03:14 PM
NCC-73515's Avatar
NCC-73515 NCC-73515 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Heidelberg, Germany
Posts: 7,207
Default

He smiles when he touches a singing plant
And Vulcans have emotions. It is just the life-long learning process of suppression that doesn't always work...
__________________


"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-16-2009, 03:44 PM
NCC-73515's Avatar
NCC-73515 NCC-73515 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Heidelberg, Germany
Posts: 7,207
Default

He cried in TMP, smiled in Cage and WNMHGB, oh and remember his "JIM!!!!" at the end of Amok Time
__________________


"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:43 AM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.