The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Availability of movie comics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2009, 08:17 AM
Fleet Admiral

Default Availability of movie comics

I just spent 2.5 h visiting four comic shops. None of them can get me Star Trek Countdown before April

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 01-13-2009, 08:24 AM
Commander

It comes out in North America tomorrow apperently. If you want I can pick you up a copy and ship it to you. PM me.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:57 AM
Admiral

I'll have to see about picking myself up a copy this weekend.
Founding member of The League of Extraordinary Oddballs
A new tech support site http://www.community.jvgeek.com
Old 01-13-2009, 09:11 AM
Fleet Admiral

Oh, how much would that be for a shipment to Germany? Too much, I guess (more than the comic?)...

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 01-13-2009, 09:28 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
Oh, how much would that be for a shipment to Germany? Too much, I guess (more than the comic?)...
I would have to check with the post office to get an exact price but I can't imagine it costing more then $5 Canadian max to ship it. I would just stick the comic in a standard bag & board and put that in to a shipping envelope. I think it should be safe that way. I don't know what the comic costs I'm guessing around $4 Canadian?
Old 01-13-2009, 09:29 AM
Fleet Admiral

Amazon has the entire three comics priced at 14€, release at end of April. Price sounds OK, I guess you gotta pay more if you buy each single comic, not to mention the time you waste on the search
I think I might only buy my first comics after the movie, first because it should work without knowing about the origins of Nero and second, only if Nero is in the villain-league of Khan the read might be worth it. That dialogue on that first few pages was puzzling to say the least and, pure personal preference, I don't like TOS Rom(ul)ans ("Gods have mercy on us" is a pretty clear indication that they will indeed be Rom(ul)ans).
Old 01-13-2009, 09:40 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Amazon has the entire three comics priced at 14€, release at end of April. Price sounds OK, I guess you gotta pay more if you buy each single comic, not to mention the time you waste on the search
I think I might only buy my first comics after the movie, first because it should work without knowing about the origins of Nero and second, only if Nero is in the villain-league of Khan the read might be worth it. That dialogue on that first few pages was puzzling to say the least and, pure personal preference, I don't like TOS Rom(ul)ans ("Gods have mercy on us" is a pretty clear indication that they will indeed be Rom(ul)ans).
Having watched ''Balance of Terror'' most recently, I would say that I prefer the concept of the TOS Romulans, if you understand me. So if they are going for a TOS feel for the Romulans, I like that!

(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)
Old 01-13-2009, 09:55 AM
Fleet Admiral

Mark Lenard played terrificly (as usual) and not passionate. Given that the writers metioned BoT and not "The Enterprise Incident" (Romulan women are passionate??? shall I say canon foul ) as reference episodes and given that Orci likes TNG, I am optimistic that the Romulans are done as they should be IMO, emotion-suppressing like their distant Vulcan relatives, at least before whatever happens that makes Nero et al lose their temper.
There could be a 'best of both worlds' IMO, but might be that they try to satisfy the old-schoolers at least in respect of the Romulans.
Excuse the ramble, but like for some it is the designs, for me the Romulans are my holy Trek cow. I will though entirely ignore and forget my discomfort about emotional Romulans in the theatre if Bana delivers a blow-you-away performance (which I don't doubt having seen him in Troy, Munich and Hulk).
Old 01-13-2009, 10:10 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Mark Lenard played terrificly (as usual) and not passionate. Given that the writers metioned BoT and not "The Enterprise Incident" (Romulan women are passionate??? shall I say canon foul ) as reference episodes and given that Orci likes TNG, I am optimistic that the Romulans are done as they should be IMO, emotion-suppressing like their distant Vulcan relatives, at least before whatever happens that makes Nero et al lose their temper.
There could be a 'best of both worlds' IMO, but might be that they try to satisfy the old-schoolers at least in respect of the Romulans.
Excuse the ramble, but like for some it is the designs, for me the Romulans are my holy Trek cow. I will though entirely ignore and forget my discomfort about emotional Romulans in the theatre if Bana delivers a blow-you-away performance (which I don't doubt having seen him in Troy, Munich and Hulk).
Hmm... Why would the Romulans suppress their emotions? The way I understood it, the Romulans split off from the Vulcans due to the rejection of suppressing their emotions in favour of their passionate and violent natures. Or something.

I appreciate your input!

(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)
Old 01-13-2009, 10:34 AM
Fleet Admiral

Good point. But unlike the Vulcans and "those who marched beneath the raptor's wings" who would have destroyed themselves in the civil wars, Romulans did not destroy themselves. They have the same violent emotions as Vulcans do, but obviously they found a different way to deal with them, otherwise they would have killed themselves quickly after having left Vulcan and their would be no Romulan Star Empire.

So what is the mechanism the use?:
My rough sketch of Romulan society is that they channel and direct their emotions upon eternal war via the dogma of unlimited expansion and keep that dogma up with a facistic or facistoid society.
Since Unification we know in addition that there are also Romulans who yearn for a more Vulcanesque approach.