The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Loose "canon", tie it down!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2008, 09:51 PM
Lieutenant

Default Loose "canon", tie it down!

Who thinks "Canon" should be shot out a Cannon? That word pops up in almost every post.

Why is so important to some people? And why do people get so upset when it is not followed?

Who like me doesn't care and why?

Last edited by Sybock : 12-01-2008 at 09:59 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:45 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybock View Post
Who thinks "Canon" should be shot out a Cannon? That word pops up in almost every post.

Why is so important to some people? And why do people get so upset when it is not followed?
Biggest reason, honestly? Many of us view Star Trek as not hundreds of different stories, but as a single story told over hundreds of installments. In that sense, when one part of that expansive collective story has a tiny inconsistency, such as a middle initial or the color of a button on the wall, we don't much mind. But when a whole installment contradicts everything else, or even when there's a really sizable percentage of a single installment that does, we feel like we're being played for suckers.

As for why some people don't care? Couldn't say, since I do care. But I got warned for hazarding a guess, and so I'll try to rephrase it in a way that shouldn't offend anybody: that guess is that some folks just don't give a rip about the cohesiveness of the story.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 12-01-2008, 11:08 PM
Commander

Q: Who like me doesn't care and why?

I sure don't.
Here's why: Because it has gotten to the point of being beyond even a daily soap opera level. One big endlessly long and overly complex story with fans who nit-pick even the smallest of details. Daily soap operas have more of a culturally acceptable fan base because they and the public know it's not taken seriously and it's own history can be re-written wholesale if need be to make the current story work. It's a guilty pleasure for them, not some quasi-religion to be written down in a bible and coveted by acolytes of a Hitleresque secret society.

Star Wars fans are almost as bad, and I am glad to see Lucas giving them the not so subtle one-fingered salute while he's still around and kicking as a reminder that it's all in fun and to not be so serious about a friggin' story.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:02 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnyder4 View Post
Q: Who like me doesn't care and why?

I sure don't.
Here's why: Because it has gotten to the point of being beyond even a daily soap opera level. One big endlessly long and overly complex story with fans who nit-pick even the smallest of details. Daily soap operas have more of a culturally acceptable fan base because they and the public know it's not taken seriously and it's own history can be re-written wholesale if need be to make the current story work. It's a guilty pleasure for them, not some quasi-religion to be written down in a bible and coveted by acolytes of a Hitleresque secret society.

Star Wars fans are almost as bad, and I am glad to see Lucas giving them the not so subtle one-fingered salute while he's still around and kicking as a reminder that it's all in fun and to not be so serious about a friggin' story.
Hitleresque secret society? Excuse me? Where do you even get off saying something like that.

If Trek fans were a hitleresque secret society they would go around killing fans of other franchises and proclaiming their franchise to be the master incarnation of all scifi. I haven't seen anyone doing that thank the gods.

As for Star Wars...early on Lucas made the distinct point of saying that His films are one continuity and that the Expanded Universe...(Books comics, ect) are another...considering that..Lucas has maintained excelent continuity across all Seven of his films, counting clone wars, and the clone wars television series.

Seriously, you don't like emphasis being placed on continuity, that's fine...but we who find it important are NOT loonies, NOT in a secret society devoted to Trek above all else, and certainly not bowing down and praying to The Great Bird of the Galaxy.

Everyone else..great posts.

-Free Enterprise
Old 12-01-2008, 10:53 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I think canon is one of the things that has always endeared the fans to Star Trek. The idea that it's more than just a "story" or even a series of stories. It's an entire universe with an entire history.
Obviously, some of us don't cling to canon as closely as others do. But to completely disregard it would definitely be a mistake.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:26 PM
Lieutenant

Before someone borrowed the term 'canon' in relation to Star Trek, it used to be referred to as 'continuity'. It is the concept that there is a consistency in the integrity of the continuing aspects of any series, not just Star Trek. In fact, I prefer the term 'continuity' over 'canon' for something like series television or series movies.

The point of continuity (or canon) is that it helps establish the show and the truth of the characters and the themes and the details for the long term viewers. The casual viewer may not care where Anakin was born (for example), but a watcher of all the Star Wars movies would object if, after having established his home planet as Tatooine, his home was later described as being Delaware.

Likewise for Star Trek, continuity establishes details of the technology, the back stories of the principle characters, and the histories of the episodes that have been made. If one episode shows Spock to be a vegetarian, then it isn't good for a later episode to show him sitting down with relish to a juicy sirloin steak (unless there is a justifiable story point, like Spock is possessed by an alien entity who likes sirloin). A change of this order would immediately strike the viewer who knows better as being a major error.

I hope it is plain that continuity, or canon, is the friend of good story telling, and not the enemy. If adhered to, it forces writers to write better stories than if they just take short cuts to make an exciting scene by throwing continuity out of the window.

Perhaps contrary to appearances, most people who support continuity don't get bent out of shape about really minor errors, but merely point them out for interest's sake. There is a concern in the minds of some that JJA's movie won't contain merely small violations of continuity, but whopping big ones. This isn't proven yet, but it is a fear.

If the details of the story depart too much from what has gone before, it will not be reconcilable with what is already known, which does violence to the overarching Star Trek story, especially as this movie is a prequel and therefore sets the stage for all the Trek that comes afterwards.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by Bright Eyes : 12-01-2008 at 11:31 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:56 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Eyes View Post
Before someone borrowed the term 'canon' in relation to Star Trek, it used to be referred to as 'continuity'. It is the concept that there is a consistency in the integrity of the continuing aspects of any series, not just Star Trek. In fact, I prefer the term 'continuity' over 'canon' for something like series television or series movies.

The point of continuity (or canon) is that it helps establish the show and the truth of the characters and the themes and the details for the long term viewers. The casual viewer may not care where Anakin was born (for example), but a watcher of all the Star Wars movies would object if, after having established his home planet as Tatooine, his home was later described as being Delaware.

Likewise for Star Trek, continuity establishes details of the technology, the back stories of the principle characters, and the histories of the episodes that have been made. If one episode shows Spock to be a vegetarian, then it isn't good for a later episode to show him sitting down with relish to a juicy sirloin steak (unless there is a justifiable story point, like Spock is possessed by an alien entity who likes sirloin). A change of this order would immediately strike the viewer who knows better as being a major error.

I hope it is plain that continuity, or canon, is the friend of good story telling, and not the enemy. If adhered to, it forces writers to write better stories than if they just take short cuts to make an exciting scene by throwing continuity out of the window.

Perhaps contrary to appearances, most people who support continuity don't get bent out of shape about really minor errors, but merely point them out for interest's sake. There is a concern in the minds of some that JJA's movie won't contain merely small violations of continuity, but whopping big ones. This isn't proven yet, but it is a fear.

If the details of the story depart too much from what has gone before, it will not be reconcilable with what is already known, which does violence to the overarching Star Trek story, especially as this movie is a prequel and therefore sets the stage for all the Trek that comes afterwards.

I hope this helps.
That was absolutely perfect. I couldn't have said it better myself. You have put into words what I have been trying to say for quite a while. Very well written and eloquently verbalized. Thank you!
Old 12-03-2008, 01:23 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
That was absolutely perfect. I couldn't have said it better myself. You have put into words what I have been trying to say for quite a while. Very well written and eloquently verbalized. Thank you!
Thank you kindly.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:41 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
Are we in bible times....canonites? Really? Are we actually calling them that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by radoskal View Post
I believe that is the general consensus.. though I don't like the term myself.
Honestly, I never cared for the word "canon" used to describe a fictional universe. As a Christian, I prefer the word "consistency" or "Continuity". Canon has traditionally been used to describe events set forth in the Bible. Star Trek is not a religion. It is a TV show that has an imense following and 40 years of televised history. So "canon" is not an appropriate term in this case. I am an advocate of consistency. And so far, what I have seen and read concerning this latest iteration of Trek shows that JJ may be disregarding established Star Trek continuity in favor of a BSG-style re-inmagining of the franchise. I don't like that idea, but there's nothing I can do about it. Just my two cents.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:00 AM
Lieutenant

I dont go in for the nit picking but i do think it should follow some sort of lines in a story or it just makes a mockery of it all dont you agree?