The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > My Thoughts
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2008, 01:57 PM
Ensign

Cool My Thoughts

Hi all,

Since there are SOO many posts, I thought I would start a new one. I will get my armor on just in case, lol.

Ok. I like the trailer. I am excited that there will be a new movie. When I first heard about the new movie, I wasn't so sure what to think. I read a new feature on New Voyages (now Phase II) about how James Cawley was invited to the set, and how impressed he was, and he said he was pleased by what he hear and saw.

Now...since everyone had a theory on alot of items...I wil start with what I think of some parts of the Trailer.

I will start with the opening. We see a sports car being driven and chased. When the kid jjumps out, the cop asked his name. James Tyberius Kirk.

Ok..so why is trying to crash an antique car? Just for the thrill? Maybe not. I think, and this is just conjecture, that he is about 10-12 years old. IF background is followed, the I am thinking that he just found out that his family was leaving Earth for Tarsus IV.

According to TOS (and Memory Alpha) he was there in 2246. I am guessing he had no choice, and was P'O'd that he had to leave. also, his Father was stil in Startfleet, and his Older Brother being "Better" than him. So, to show his anger, he takes his Father's antique car...

Like I said, just a thought.

When he comes back, after wtinessing the death/execution of 4,000 colonist, he is VERY upset/angry, etc. with very few choices, hence, what people are talking about a scene in a bar, where he meets Captain Pike...drowning his sorrows?

Ok...and, the New Enterprise. As others have said, it looks mean, and like it can kick butt...lol. A very locigal step up from the NX-01.

I am done, for now...let the comments begin!

I am a friend of ZARDOZ!
Old 11-24-2008, 03:36 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Xonk View Post
Since there are SOO many posts, I thought I would start a new one.
That may not have been the best idea. There are TOO many posts, many of them on the same or very, very similar topics. You might have posted in this thread.

I'm not sure Tarsus IV will come into play in Trek XI, truth be told. I am not a canon purist by any stretch of the imagination, but I do think if Tarsus IV is left out, a major character development opportunity will have been lost. Perhaps it's for the better, I don't know. I'm no movie director. But I do think there's a lot that could be done with Tarsus IV. And I agree that the new Enterprise looks pretty nice. Not the Gray Lady I fell for in TOS, but certainly graceful and powerful in her own right.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:50 PM
Ensign

Question My thoughts..

Hmm...sorry about that.

I agree..it would be nice to see that background. Maybe in another movie or TV series...?

I am a friend of ZARDOZ!
Old 11-24-2008, 05:21 PM
Fleet Admiral

"Your thoughts betray you...."

These ideas are intresting...I'm not sure if they'll occur but time will tell us.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:54 PM
Ensign

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
"Your thoughts betray you...."

These ideas are intresting...I'm not sure if they'll occur but time will tell us.
Yes...and I have 3 sisters...lol.

That is why I posted this, as a possible answer to why. I may be way off here. Oh well...

Another thing: When I mentioned the Evolution of the Enterpise (The new one) from the NX-01, there should be a reason why it looks like it can kick butt. Considering almost a hundred years between ships, with the Vulcans keeping Humans back from advancing, etc. The NX-01 was almost a pure Military looking ship. Small but dangerous looking. It came (The Design) about from humans being in several wars, including WW III.

Then, The Romulan Wars. StarFleet needed (needs) "Heavy" Cruisers...

More on this later..

I am a friend of ZARDOZ!

Last edited by Son of Xonk : 11-24-2008 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Miss Spell
Old 11-24-2008, 07:07 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Xonk View Post
Considering almost a hundred years between ships, with the Vulcans keeping Humans back from advancing, etc.
Wait, what? Have I missed something?
Old 11-24-2008, 07:46 PM
Fleet Admiral

The Gong Show was a product of Vulcan. Held our development back for nearly a decade.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 11-24-2008, 07:48 PM
Lieutenant

Ha
Old 11-24-2008, 08:54 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
The Gong Show was a product of Vulcan. Held our development back for nearly a decade.
So..Chuck Barris was a Vulcan?? That explains having the Unknown Comic on the show all the time.

I am a friend of ZARDOZ!
Old 11-24-2008, 08:52 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by T'Aerwynd View Post
Wait, what? Have I missed something?
According to the show, "Enterprise" (The premier) The Vulcans "watched" over the development of the Warp 5 Program. IE, gave us "Emotional, Rash, Humans" advice, and it took almost 90 years from the 1st warp flight until the launch of the Enterprise, with the 1st Warp 5 engine. Heck, Earth ships did not have shields, tractor beams...

If that is not holding us back, then I don't know what is, lol. I can look more up on Memory Alpha, but I think I am pretty sure that was true. So...we went ahead and went out into the Galaxy, but with a Vulcan "Observer", T'Pal. (Hence getting around the fact that Spock was the first Vulcan in StarFleet.)

I am a friend of ZARDOZ!