The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Female uniforms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2008, 01:03 PM
Ensign

Default Female uniforms

The female uniforms have short sleeves without any rank stripes...does anybody know if or how they identify rank for female officers?

I wasn't aware that twelve Klingons constituted a swarm...
-Kirk
Old 11-20-2008, 01:19 PM
Rear Admiral

It's on the bra straps. Female personnel are required to remove their uniform tops periodically to let people know their ranks...
Old 11-20-2008, 02:13 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
It's on the bra straps. Female personnel are required to remove their uniform tops periodically to let people know their ranks...
Now it all makes sense!
Old 11-20-2008, 05:00 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
I am now laughing. Very, very, hard, and it hurts.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:22 PM
Captain

I believe Charlie Evans set the precedent for identifying female crewmembers' rank.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 320x240.jpg (33.4 KB, 51 views)
Old 11-20-2008, 01:48 PM
Ensign

I dunno...this is one of those details I'm inclined to be critical of. Trek is supposed to be about a brighter future and a unified humanity, where people really are created equal. Yeah, the go-go boots and miniskirts were campy fun, and it just wouldn't be the 23rd century without them, but the complete absence of rank identification is, well, not equal. Or, maybe we'll see some long-sleeve variations, more like the original uniforms. After all, McCoy did have a short sleeve uniform that was bare of rank stripes too..

-Kirk
Old 11-20-2008, 01:54 PM
Rear Admiral

IMO, one of the fundamental differences between Starfleet and today's military is that there really isn't a serious focus on rank. It's there, sure enough, but what a person does is more important than the amount of braid on their sleeves.

In a funny kind of way, it's in keeping with Roddenberry's original idea of in "The Cage" where rank is just a title...
Old 11-20-2008, 02:58 PM
Lieutenant Commander

I don't know about the uniforms, but it looks like there hasn't been much in the way of advancement in bra technology between now and the time of the movie.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:59 PM
Lieutenant

One of the things about navy ranks, especially when you look at eras like the age of sail, ship crews were relatively small (compared to the army) and didn't really have the need for officers and warrant officers to show rank all the time.

The crews were more intimately familiar with each other. I served on a ship with about the same number of crew as the starship Enterprise, and I knew just about everyone on board, including their rank, throughout the majority of my time there. You really do get to know your crewmates...even if it's only their name, rank and face.

So, while Uhura may often wear the short-sleeved tunic, the crew know her (and her rank) without needing to see it on her uniform every day.

The United States Navy: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of all Who Threaten It!

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'" -President John F. Kennedy

Old 11-20-2008, 07:27 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJones View Post
One of the things about navy ranks, especially when you look at eras like the age of sail, ship crews were relatively small (compared to the army) and didn't really have the need for officers and warrant officers to show rank all the time.

The crews were more intimately familiar with each other. I served on a ship with about the same number of crew as the starship Enterprise, and I knew just about everyone on board, including their rank, throughout the majority of my time there. You really do get to know your crewmates...even if it's only their name, rank and face.

So, while Uhura may often wear the short-sleeved tunic, the crew know her (and her rank) without needing to see it on her uniform every day.
This was an insightful post, thank you TJJones =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekki
I don't know if the women have a more important role in Star Trek than men do. I think they have less of a role actually, which might be why they don't show rank. Of course, the highest ranking women ever, I think, was Captain Janeway in Voyager. I don't know if there have been any higher ranking women, at least in the humans.
The team that made TOS tried very hard to include strong female characters. They ran into trouble with the broadcast company though, I know they caught some flack for Pike's Number One because they "didn't feel that the viewing audience was ready for such a strong female role" or some such nonsense. Which, in 1966, was an unfortunate reality. But there's been plenty of evidence in the other series that women and men are equal in Federation society and Starfleet.

-Kirk