The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Where will the end of Star Trek XI leave off?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2008, 01:58 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Default Where will the end of Star Trek XI leave off?

Just as the titles says. What will the end of the movie be like? Do you want it to end right before the start of TOS? Do you want it to end so that there is room for more adventures before the the original 5 year mission? Or, do you want it to end with the beginning of the first TOS episode? Share your comments!
Old 11-16-2008, 02:13 PM
Fleet Admiral

I think this will end with the TOS-era crew in place aboard the E, if younger. And there will be plenty of room to discover early adventures/missions before bumping into TOS episodes.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 11-16-2008, 03:08 PM
Captain

From what I've read, I wouldn't be surprised if our concerns become as invalidated as the original history of Trek has become. Sorry if I'm grumpy here, but at the present time, I just don't see how the events of this film could possible lead into the events of TOS and beyond.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:16 PM
Ensign

I think it will lead into to plenty of story lines, but I don't think it will lead into original TOS.

Nor do I think it should. I am not a canon-ist. I like trek for what it is, space battles and exploration. Yes some kind of overal theme running through it to bind it together is good. but when then binding becomes so tight it shackles it, it is bad.

This film looks like to be what trek needs to break free f it shackles, lose its geeky/nerdy image and continue boldly going.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:31 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Canon is for the birds.

If you lock yourself into something like Canon you're asking for creative deadlock.

And that's all it is guys...a story. People take show history way too seriously. And honestly that's why Trek nerds get a bad rap...they take this stuff WAY too seriously.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:29 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildGunsTomcat View Post
Canon is for the birds.

If you lock yourself into something like Canon you're asking for creative deadlock.

And that's all it is guys...a story. People take show history way too seriously. And honestly that's why Trek nerds get a bad rap...they take this stuff WAY too seriously.
I agree. The devil is in the details. As long as Major trek history is observed, the ship, uniforms, phasers, Romulans, etc... can look however JJ wants. We know Spock is half human and half Vulcan. Check!! We know the T. in James T. Kirk stand for Tiberius. Check!! We know it's "phasers" and "photon torpedos", not lasers and nuclear missiles. Check!! We know it's called a transporter and not a teleporter. Check!!! Get my point?

Last edited by MrQ1701 : 11-16-2008 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:28 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Canon is for the birds.

Agreed!
Old 11-17-2008, 10:21 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Canon is for the birds.

I believe canon only equals creative deadlock when you do prequels. If the timeline in ST moved forword there could plenty of opportunities to give ST a facelift. Also, by moving the timeline forward you aren't destroying canon you're creating new canon.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:31 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Pork View Post
I believe canon only equals creative deadlock when you do prequels. If the timeline in ST moved forword there could plenty of opportunities to give ST a facelift. Also, by moving the timeline forward you aren't destroying canon you're creating new canon.
Yeah that's true.

But folks were tired of Trek the way it was. Hence it was taken off the air.

Abrams and Orci and Kurtzman sat down and realized the one that about Trek that was killing it: TECHNOBABBLE.

Every ep of Voyager for example..they needed to rely on their tech to save the day and it almost always did.

And that kinda turns off even the most hardened of Trek fans. I know it did me. There was BARELY any character development in Voyager...it was almost always a lightshow.

Now...DS9 in contrast...that show was amazing as far as character development...but it was very stale in the area of exploration.

I think the only TRUE trek that mixed action, character development, and exploration was TNG...and that felt too CLEAN imo. It was like the Marriott Hotel in space with Photon Torpedoes and Phasers.

This new Trek looks very interesting to me in the way of it's been brought back down to Earth so to speak. It looks more...human imo. That's the appeal...that's why you have people like Paris Hilton saying I want to see Star Trek. That's what is going to save this franchise...not the hardened Trek Nerd...but the casual viewer that really doesn't know JACK about the canon and just wants to have a good time.

My 2 cents.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:57 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Yeah that's true.

But folks were tired of Trek the way it was. Hence it was taken off the air.

Abrams and Orci and Kurtzman sat down and realized the one that about Trek that was killing it: TECHNOBABBLE.

Every ep of Voyager for example..they needed to rely on their tech to save the day and it almost always did.

And that kinda turns off even the most hardened of Trek fans. I know it did me. There was BARELY any character development in Voyager...it was almost always a lightshow.

Now...DS9 in contrast...that show was amazing as far as character development...but it was very stale in the area of exploration.

I think the only TRUE trek that mixed action, character development, and exploration was TNG...and that felt too CLEAN imo. It was like the Marriott Hotel in space with Photon Torpedoes and Phasers.

This new Trek looks very interesting to me in the way of it's been brought back down to Earth so to speak. It looks more...human imo. That's the appeal...that's why you have people like Paris Hilton saying I want to see Star Trek. That's what is going to save this franchise...not the hardened Trek Nerd...but the casual viewer that really doesn't know JACK about the canon and just wants to have a good time.

My 2 cents.
Agree, except:

I've only seen maybe 10 episodes of Voyager and I don't like it. But you said one of the problems with Voyager was that it was a lightshow. I'm just saying but blockbuster movies are usually nothing but lightshows . I also don't have any respect for casual viewers. They throw their money at whatever shiny object is out there. They might make this new movie a success but I can guarantee you that they won't keep ST alive like the fans have.