The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Where will the end of Star Trek XI leave off?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-16-2008, 01:58 PM
Triblfied's Avatar
Triblfied Triblfied is offline
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 162
Default Where will the end of Star Trek XI leave off?

Just as the titles says. What will the end of the movie be like? Do you want it to end right before the start of TOS? Do you want it to end so that there is room for more adventures before the the original 5 year mission? Or, do you want it to end with the beginning of the first TOS episode? Share your comments!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-16-2008, 02:13 PM
MissionTrek08's Avatar
MissionTrek08 MissionTrek08 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,562
Default

I think this will end with the TOS-era crew in place aboard the E, if younger. And there will be plenty of room to discover early adventures/missions before bumping into TOS episodes.
__________________

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK


Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-16-2008, 03:08 PM
vuedoc's Avatar
vuedoc vuedoc is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,931
Default

From what I've read, I wouldn't be surprised if our concerns become as invalidated as the original history of Trek has become. Sorry if I'm grumpy here, but at the present time, I just don't see how the events of this film could possible lead into the events of TOS and beyond.
__________________
"Stop it? I'm counting on it."
"But not because you threaten me. I'll pay you because... it's my pleasure."
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-16-2008, 03:16 PM
Carrot Carrot is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 90
Default

I think it will lead into to plenty of story lines, but I don't think it will lead into original TOS.

Nor do I think it should. I am not a canon-ist. I like trek for what it is, space battles and exploration. Yes some kind of overal theme running through it to bind it together is good. but when then binding becomes so tight it shackles it, it is bad.

This film looks like to be what trek needs to break free f it shackles, lose its geeky/nerdy image and continue boldly going.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-16-2008, 03:31 PM
WildGunsTomcat's Avatar
WildGunsTomcat WildGunsTomcat is offline
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 216
Default

Canon is for the birds.

If you lock yourself into something like Canon you're asking for creative deadlock.

And that's all it is guys...a story. People take show history way too seriously. And honestly that's why Trek nerds get a bad rap...they take this stuff WAY too seriously.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-16-2008, 04:29 PM
MrQ1701's Avatar
MrQ1701 MrQ1701 is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Espanola, New Mexico
Posts: 3,940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildGunsTomcat View Post
Canon is for the birds.

If you lock yourself into something like Canon you're asking for creative deadlock.

And that's all it is guys...a story. People take show history way too seriously. And honestly that's why Trek nerds get a bad rap...they take this stuff WAY too seriously.
I agree. The devil is in the details. As long as Major trek history is observed, the ship, uniforms, phasers, Romulans, etc... can look however JJ wants. We know Spock is half human and half Vulcan. Check!! We know the T. in James T. Kirk stand for Tiberius. Check!! We know it's "phasers" and "photon torpedos", not lasers and nuclear missiles. Check!! We know it's called a transporter and not a teleporter. Check!!! Get my point?

Last edited by MrQ1701 : 11-16-2008 at 04:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-16-2008, 05:28 PM
Leathart's Avatar
Leathart Leathart is offline
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: U.S.S. Seattle
Posts: 178
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildGunsTomcat View Post
Canon is for the birds.

If you lock yourself into something like Canon you're asking for creative deadlock.

And that's all it is guys...a story. People take show history way too seriously. And honestly that's why Trek nerds get a bad rap...they take this stuff WAY too seriously.
Agreed!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-17-2008, 10:21 AM
Lord Pork's Avatar
Lord Pork Lord Pork is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildGunsTomcat View Post
Canon is for the birds.

If you lock yourself into something like Canon you're asking for creative deadlock.

And that's all it is guys...a story. People take show history way too seriously. And honestly that's why Trek nerds get a bad rap...they take this stuff WAY too seriously.
I believe canon only equals creative deadlock when you do prequels. If the timeline in ST moved forword there could plenty of opportunities to give ST a facelift. Also, by moving the timeline forward you aren't destroying canon you're creating new canon.
__________________
Orthodox Herbetarian
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-17-2008, 10:31 AM
WildGunsTomcat's Avatar
WildGunsTomcat WildGunsTomcat is offline
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 216
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Pork View Post
I believe canon only equals creative deadlock when you do prequels. If the timeline in ST moved forword there could plenty of opportunities to give ST a facelift. Also, by moving the timeline forward you aren't destroying canon you're creating new canon.
Yeah that's true.

But folks were tired of Trek the way it was. Hence it was taken off the air.

Abrams and Orci and Kurtzman sat down and realized the one that about Trek that was killing it: TECHNOBABBLE.

Every ep of Voyager for example..they needed to rely on their tech to save the day and it almost always did.

And that kinda turns off even the most hardened of Trek fans. I know it did me. There was BARELY any character development in Voyager...it was almost always a lightshow.

Now...DS9 in contrast...that show was amazing as far as character development...but it was very stale in the area of exploration.

I think the only TRUE trek that mixed action, character development, and exploration was TNG...and that felt too CLEAN imo. It was like the Marriott Hotel in space with Photon Torpedoes and Phasers.

This new Trek looks very interesting to me in the way of it's been brought back down to Earth so to speak. It looks more...human imo. That's the appeal...that's why you have people like Paris Hilton saying I want to see Star Trek. That's what is going to save this franchise...not the hardened Trek Nerd...but the casual viewer that really doesn't know JACK about the canon and just wants to have a good time.

My 2 cents.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-17-2008, 10:57 AM
Lord Pork's Avatar
Lord Pork Lord Pork is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildGunsTomcat View Post
Yeah that's true.

But folks were tired of Trek the way it was. Hence it was taken off the air.

Abrams and Orci and Kurtzman sat down and realized the one that about Trek that was killing it: TECHNOBABBLE.

Every ep of Voyager for example..they needed to rely on their tech to save the day and it almost always did.

And that kinda turns off even the most hardened of Trek fans. I know it did me. There was BARELY any character development in Voyager...it was almost always a lightshow.

Now...DS9 in contrast...that show was amazing as far as character development...but it was very stale in the area of exploration.

I think the only TRUE trek that mixed action, character development, and exploration was TNG...and that felt too CLEAN imo. It was like the Marriott Hotel in space with Photon Torpedoes and Phasers.

This new Trek looks very interesting to me in the way of it's been brought back down to Earth so to speak. It looks more...human imo. That's the appeal...that's why you have people like Paris Hilton saying I want to see Star Trek. That's what is going to save this franchise...not the hardened Trek Nerd...but the casual viewer that really doesn't know JACK about the canon and just wants to have a good time.

My 2 cents.
Agree, except:

I've only seen maybe 10 episodes of Voyager and I don't like it. But you said one of the problems with Voyager was that it was a lightshow. I'm just saying but blockbuster movies are usually nothing but lightshows . I also don't have any respect for casual viewers. They throw their money at whatever shiny object is out there. They might make this new movie a success but I can guarantee you that they won't keep ST alive like the fans have.
__________________
Orthodox Herbetarian
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:48 AM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.