The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Will the Fans of Star Trek cause it's demise?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2008, 08:06 AM
Rear Admiral

Post Will the Fans of Star Trek cause it's demise?

A darkness has befallen the Trek Universe. A small group of supporters have been blindsided it seems by an onslaught of verbal venom spewed from zealots with a narrow focus on the future of a legacy. I realize that everyone has thier opinion and is entitled to it. I just can't help but feel from the avalanche of negative responce from fans ...that Star Trek has met its boundries and has no more room to grow. Thus ending an era all because the fans have drawn the line on the new.

What do you all think?

Last edited by CAPTAIN MOUSE : 11-13-2008 at 08:08 AM. Reason: to invite a responce
Old 11-13-2008, 08:14 AM
Lieutenant

I think you're wrong. People are losing the fundamental truths of Trek in the trivial details of a movie -- a "can't see the forest for the trees" scenario at its worst. I have said it many times before, but once more won't kill me: Trek is bigger than ship design, uniform design, who went to the Academy with who and when, etc. Trek (in all its incarnations) is the stories, the people, the wonder of exploring the unknown. It is literally the embodiment of everything humanity has thought since the first erect humans looked up at the stars and wondered what the heck they were and what was out there. The trivial details of a movie, the overzealous canon purists ... they won't change what Trek is at its most fundamental.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:38 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by T'Aerwynd View Post
I think you're wrong. People are losing the fundamental truths of Trek in the trivial details of a movie -- a "can't see the forest for the trees" scenario at its worst. I have said it many times before, but once more won't kill me: Trek is bigger than ship design, uniform design, who went to the Academy with who and when, etc. Trek (in all its incarnations) is the stories, the people, the wonder of exploring the unknown. It is literally the embodiment of everything humanity has thought since the first erect humans looked up at the stars and wondered what the heck they were and what was out there. The trivial details of a movie, the overzealous canon purists ... they won't change what Trek is at its most fundamental.

i agree with u completely,lets not fight among us for ship design etc etc.
we trek fans are better than this,lets just watch the movie ok?
Old 11-13-2008, 08:56 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrek79 View Post
i agree with u completely,lets not fight among us for ship design etc etc.
we trek fans are better than this,lets just watch the movie ok?
I see your point. However do you think the "purist fan" will ultimately support the new film and eventually see the trees once again?
Old 11-13-2008, 09:44 AM
Ensign

Quote:
That's why I think the rules on what is canon need to change. Instead of everything that is on screen is canon, the stories are canon but the visuals aren't. That way each new director could imagine ST in his own way. BTW this forum reminds me a lot of the Dune novels forum. Dissent will not be tolerated, dissent means you are stuck in your old ways.

Last edited by Lord Pork : 11-13-2008 at 09:48 AM.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:47 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Pork View Post
That's why I think the rules on what is canon need to change. Instead of everything that is on screen is canon, the stories are canon but the visuals aren't. That way each new director could imagine ST in his own way.
Brace yourselves, I think that scenariO....is happening right...now.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:48 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Pork View Post
That's why I think the rules on what is canon need to change. Instead of everything that is on screen is canon, the stories are canon but the visuals aren't. That way each new director could imagine ST in his own way.

you re right,you re sooo right
Old 11-13-2008, 09:53 AM
Ensign

But it needs to be official or something. As it stands right now the new movie is really ****ing with canon.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:57 AM
Captain

Quote:
The fundamentals are the same for Star Trek, Stargate and a dozen other exploration and science fiction stories. The details are what make it Star Trek as opposed to any of the others. We like Star Trek because we like "Jason & The Argonauts" told this particular way.

Star Trek fans aren't killing Star Trek by leaving. Star Trek's rein holders are killing Star Trek by leaving the fans.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 11-13-2008, 11:49 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
Star Trek fans aren't killing Star Trek by leaving. Star Trek's rein holders are killing Star Trek by leaving the fans.
On the other hand, all motion is relative, and there are indeed a number of fans freely admitting today that they have stopped in their tracks and will refuse to follow TREK into next May or beyond, without even giving the final film a fair look.

Indeed, those fans are leaving themselves behind in self-exile. It's their right to do so, naturally, but that choice is not TREK's fault nor the new filmmakers' responsibility.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!