The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Heroes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2008, 05:31 PM
Ensign

Default Heroes

I know there's got to be a least a few fans lurking around here since Quinto, who plays Sylar/Gabriel Gray, will be portraying young Spock in the new Trek movie. I haven't seen a thread for the show yet, so here we go. Let's get a roll call or discussions started or something happening

To get things rolling... I am pretty confident about the quality of season three despite how much of a dud season two was. I'm just hoping Kring et al learn from their copious mistakes from last season... and don't brush it off as fans "not getting it" or "only wanting action and explosions" as he implied in his apology interview with Entertainment Weekly. Having seen the footage for volume three first hand at the Jules Verne Festival, I am pretty excited Of course, it was pretty Sylar and Angela heavy... and I love those two characters.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:04 PM
Rear Admiral

Season Two is over? I thought it was taken off the air because of the strike.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:12 PM
Ensign

Because of the strike they wrapped up season two early. Season two was originally supposed to include two volumes (Generations and Exodus) but after they re-shot stuff for the finale it seems they've ditched the Exodus volume altogether since the "current" volume is now Villians.

Ha, now that you're asking I'm wondering if season two wasn't just put on hold, but I'm 85% sure that is the case.

- Session 9
Old 02-03-2008, 06:20 PM
Rear Admiral

I was just getting into that show to, and Journeyman.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:26 PM
Ensign

As far as I understood season 2 should have three volumes (Generations, Exodus and Villains) with Sylar not being present in Exodus, but coming back in Villains. So they could finish parts of season 2, after ST has finished filming and the writers strike ends.

I wonder if the comics, that still appear on the website, cover volume 2.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:38 PM
Ensign

Yeah, Sylar being written out for a while was done so Quinto could film Trek but with the strike on he'll probably be available to do Heroes without a hitch when it comes back. I just hope when they bring him back he's actually doing something other than mugging it up and slipping further into the stereotypical villain role :\ Don't get me wrong, Quinto is doing great with what he's been given, but what he's been given has been kinda... um, well I can't use the word I'd like to use but it's not a nice one.

Gotta admit, it bothers me that they wrote out an entire volume because of the strike. I wonder how the season would have gone if it was still in the works. Does this mean the Shanti virus will be dropped?

The comics do follow the show... to be honest, I'm a bad fan and don't keep up with the comics most of the time.

- Session 9
Old 02-03-2008, 06:49 PM
Ensign

I don't follow the comics, too. I just know they exist and read a few of them. I just hope, they conversed 'Exodus' into the comics, so that we know, what they wanted to do in that volume.

At the end of season 1 I had hoped, that perhaps someone (a good psychatrist, if you ask me) would have been able to actually help Sylar. That he would stop killing.

Now I wonder if we'll ever know how Chandra felt about having created such a monster...
Old 02-03-2008, 07:22 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saavik View Post
At the end of season 1 I had hoped, that perhaps someone (a good psychatrist, if you ask me) would have been able to actually help Sylar. That he would stop killing.

Now I wonder if we'll ever know how Chandra felt about having created such a monster...
I wanted (ok, I still do) to see that happen with Sylar too. I am hesitant to wish him completely defanged, but at least make him interesting again. He was interesting when he was "playing" the role of Zane while with Mohinder. He was interesting when he started questioning what type of killing he was comfortable with. Now... well, the writers had a real opportunity to do something fascinating with his character following season one and they chose not to. That irks me a bit. He's their fall-back antagonist and that's great except it's already getting boring. It shouldn't be boring but he's become a one-note villain. If he isn't questioning himself on some level it ceases to be interesting, at least to me.

Personally I think it'd be pretty bold to try and humanize a serial killer.

I'd like some answers concerning Chandra too, but I also like that it was kept open. Of course Mohinder wants to believe his father wouldn't have continued his experiments with Gabriel if he knew he was killing people but then again didn't Chandra basically tell his son that he was too emotional to be a good scientist?

- Session 9
Old 02-04-2008, 05:11 AM
Ensign

Well, I be a 'ROESian (yeah, the nick isn't known, but oh well)...

Old 02-04-2008, 05:42 AM
Ensign

yeah this writers strike has messed up a lot of shows. Supposedly in Heroes there was a rumor that Chandra was gonna be brought back to life in season two...my guess is it would have been via Hiros time travel.

Hiro's time travel ability hasd been a big negative as far as I'm concerned, because just like in Trek, it can be used as an easy button to undo anything. Supposedly Kinsei is gonna return at some point...but this could all be easily prevented by Hiro travelling back in time to ancient Japan and either stopping himself from kissing the swordmakers daughter, or by beheading Adam before he turns bad. Being able to do that and not doing it causes the conflict in the story to not make sense...which is why it shouldnt have been introduced in the first place.

The same could be done with Sylar...Hiro could go back in time and stop him from ever meeting Chandra...or behead him before he becomes powerful.

I dont like having an easy button in a show.