The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > What Choice Was There?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-03-2008, 12:26 PM
qwertyplop qwertyplop is offline
Midshipman
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4
Default What Choice Was There?

IMO- Trek was done and it was undone by Berman and his systematic approach to breaking down the basic laws of the Trek universe. This has been debated over and over and I feel he peaked with DS9 and dived with subsequent incarnations. Enterprise had glimpses of where Trek could have gone if the production team had the bravery and backing to do it but we know where that ended up.

Cancellation.

BSG showed that a re-boot/re-imagine was possible if done well - so why would this not work for Trek?

Here's the heresy part of my hypothesis - this movie will be a genesis moment for Trek - it's a chance to bury the baggage that Trek carries and invigorate the fan base while bringing in new friends. If it means losing a few fans who can't cope then fair enough but this is going to be a massive mainstream cinema event and the success this could bring will re-invent the franchise.

Is JJ the 'Great Bird of the Galaxy' for the 21st century?

He could just be......
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-03-2008, 01:48 PM
Tygrrius's Avatar
Tygrrius Tygrrius is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyplop View Post
this movie will be a genesis moment for Trek - it's a chance to bury the baggage that Trek carries and invigorate the fan base while bringing in new friends. If it means losing a few fans who can't cope then fair enough but this is going to be a massive mainstream cinema event and the success this could bring will re-invent the franchise.
More than likely, Star Trek will either be a Batman Begins sized hit, capable of relaunching the franchise, or a Star Trek: Nemesis sized flop that stalls it out for another six to ten years or more.

This will be the first Star Trek film that has neither William Shatner nor Patrick Stewart. At least one of them has always been there. J.J. Abrams is certainly taking a risk here, but anything worth doing is seldom easy.

Are Star Trek's characters strong enough, like those of James Bond or Superman, to survive the transition to new actors? I think they are, as long as the new actors are skilled enough and are working from a good script. What defines Star Trek? The most important elements are the characters and the stories. As long as Abrams gets those right, we'll have a movie that feels like Star Trek, no matter who plays the parts.

"Risk is our business."
--Captain James T. Kirk
__________________
Tygrrius, www.thefilmfrontier.com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-03-2008, 01:52 PM
Starfleet Officer's Avatar
Starfleet Officer Starfleet Officer is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: USS COURAGEOUS NCC-94120-A
Posts: 45
Default

I don't want a reboot/remake but a 're-energizing' of the franchise
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-04-2008, 10:36 AM
_Q_'s Avatar
_Q_ _Q_ is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Q Continuum
Posts: 33
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfleet Officer View Post
I don't want a reboot/remake but a 're-energizing' of the franchise
Same here. I just want it to rock the whole freaking world. AND IT WILL.
__________________
Why are there six pedals if there are only four directions!?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-03-2008, 02:57 PM
ctiii ctiii is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 53
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyplop View Post
BSG showed that a re-boot/re-imagine was possible if done well - so why would this not work for Trek?
Since I've never actually seen it, I cant comment on the shows content, but I think I recall hearing that there was threat of cancellation of BSG several times. Is it still running or has it been cancelled? Even if it was only threats...that's not a shining example of how "reboot syndrome" helps a fanchise.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-04-2008, 07:36 AM
OneBuckFilms's Avatar
OneBuckFilms OneBuckFilms is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 909
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctiii View Post
Since I've never actually seen it, I cant comment on the shows content, but I think I recall hearing that there was threat of cancellation of BSG several times. Is it still running or has it been cancelled? Even if it was only threats...that's not a shining example of how "reboot syndrome" helps a fanchise.
BSG is still runing, and it's final season is scheduled to be shown either at the end of March or the beginning of April.

There are always rumors of this or that. I take them with a pinch of salt.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-04-2008, 07:58 AM
Spock2015's Avatar
Spock2015 Spock2015 is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Allentown, PA
Posts: 46
Default

It is a risk rebooting the franchise, I would agree, however, I am sure all of you could think of a series or franchise that failed, but could have thrived had risks been taken...

As one former captain of the Enterprise maintained... "Risk is part of the game, if you want to sit in that chair" In this case, the Director's chair.
__________________
"Because she feels... I don't... All I know is logic."
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-03-2008, 03:44 PM
sir num nums sir num nums is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sherwood, AR
Posts: 2,357
Default

Well, BSG was a reboot in form of a mini series that did very well. Then a weekly show was created based off of the mini series, and did great for about 2 seasons. At some point they lost focus, and nearly lost their viewers, and muddled through season 3. Now this March will start season 4, the final season.

So, BSG is it's own good example of how a restart can work, and fail if the focus is lost.

but, ST:11 is not a reboot.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-04-2008, 02:43 AM
Raiden's Avatar
Raiden Raiden is offline
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: London, England
Posts: 346
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir num nums View Post
Well, BSG was a reboot in form of a mini series that did very well. Then a weekly show was created based off of the mini series, and did great for about 2 seasons. At some point they lost focus, and nearly lost their viewers, and muddled through season 3. Now this March will start season 4, the final season.

So, BSG is it's own good example of how a restart can work, and fail if the focus is lost.

but, ST:11 is not a reboot.
See there I disagree with that, it is not a total reboot but it is a kick up the arse for the franchise. A breath of fresh air from JJ, something I think it sorely needs. I can only hope that it works.
__________________
Are You Lookin' at Me?
First Raid'en'tan under the Vorta Eris
Victory is Life !


HardyCofE
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-03-2008, 04:15 PM
padrerkm's Avatar
padrerkm padrerkm is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 22
Default

The 4th season of Enterprise would've redeemed the show if given the chance. Still, given the popularity of the re-runs on the Sci-Fi Channel, it would be great if they and Paramount struck a deal to revive the show on Sci-Fi. Let's face it, with lame shows like "Tin Man" and "Flash Gordon" Enterprise might be just the audience draw they need.

BWDIK.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:23 PM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.