The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Batman - The Dark Knight Rises *Spoilers in thread*
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-22-2012, 10:08 AM
Roysten's Avatar
Roysten Roysten is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Yorkshire, England
Posts: 918
Default Batman - The Dark Knight Rises *Spoilers in thread*

Essentially continued from the amazing spiderman thread...
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-22-2012, 10:09 AM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,077
Default

Ah, I feel all unrestricted now!
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-22-2012, 10:13 AM
Roysten's Avatar
Roysten Roysten is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Yorkshire, England
Posts: 918
Default

I think in some respects Catwoman wasn't an essential character to the plot, obviously she was nice to look at and had some fun action scenes but I didn't feel that her own 'need for redemption' subplot really evolved beyond the fact we knew she wanted better for herself, like many other subplots it sort of vanished, then at the end we saw her with Bruce and we're left to assume that she's found what she was looking for.

I was wondering when Bruce may have jumped ship too. The bomb having 2 mins left on the timer means it must have been travelling pretty fast out of the city to get the 6 miles away or whatever it was, I guess that also means it has to have got 6 miles away from where Bruce was depending on when exactly he did jump ship. I'm not too bothered though, and I guess it is set up to make it seem like a surprise when he survives.

I wonder whether he'd be allowed to kill Batman, if the studio wants to make more films then it's better that he lives, unless they want to recast or have 'Robin' take over.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-22-2012, 10:21 AM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,077
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roysten View Post
I think in some respects Catwoman wasn't an essential character to the plot, obviously she was nice to look at and had some fun action scenes but I didn't feel that her own 'need for redemption' subplot really evolved beyond the fact we knew she wanted better for herself, like many other subplots it sort of vanished, then at the end we saw her with Bruce and we're left to assume that she's found what she was looking for.
I agree. I think she was chosen and put in there to give Bruce someone to escape with since they blew up Rachel in the last film. But I didn't believe that Bruce and Selina made any connection of that nature. Their relationship seemed dictated by the plot needs. Kind of a means to an end.

Quote:
I was wondering when Bruce may have jumped ship too. The bomb having 2 mins left on the timer means it must have been travelling pretty fast out of the city to get the 6 miles away or whatever it was, I guess that also means it has to have got 6 miles away from where Bruce was depending on when exactly he did jump ship. I'm not too bothered though, and I guess it is set up to make it seem like a surprise when he survives.
I was actually wondering more how he got from the prison to inside the cut off Gotham when he had no-one to call for help and how long it took him to get back.

Quote:
I wonder whether he'd be allowed to kill Batman, if the studio wants to make more films then it's better that he lives, unless they want to recast or have 'Robin' take over.
I think that goes to my thoughts about Batman being a symbol and not a man, and therefore it doesn't have to be Bruce inside the suit.
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-22-2012, 10:21 AM
samwiseb samwiseb is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,207
Default

The studio could be forced to reboot Batman if they really need to make more films. I don't like when their needs necessarily override what the director they hired is wanting to give them.

I've said the same thing about ST... that I hope Abrams is cognizant enough to recognize when he's making his last movie so that he can close it out in some way, force the studio to reimagine rather than just pick a director-for-hire to continue his work without him (because to me that rarely works)
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-22-2012, 10:24 AM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,077
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwiseb View Post
The studio could be forced to reboot Batman if they really need to make more films. I don't like when their needs necessarily override what the director they hired is wanting to give them.

I've said the same thing about ST... that I hope Abrams is cognizant enough to recognize when he's making his last movie so that he can close it out in some way, force the studio to reimagine rather than just pick a director-for-hire to continue his work without him (because to me that rarely works)
I think WB might try and do the next Batman film in the same universe that Nolan created but with another director and use the set up left in Rises.

If Sony thought they got grief online for rebooting Spider-Man, WB will have a hell of a time with whatever they decide to do post-Nolan.
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-22-2012, 10:29 AM
samwiseb samwiseb is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,207
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
I think WB might try and do the next Batman film in the same universe that Nolan created but with another director and use the set up left in Rises.

If Sony thought they got grief online for rebooting Spider-Man, WB will have a hell of a time with whatever they decide to do post-Nolan.
I wouldn't have a problem with that. Batman Beyond was a cool series, I see no reason why Blake-as-Batman couldn't work for a reimagined movie franchise. If they really need to. Just don't give it to Zack Snyder; I've decided that man sucks dick.

And though I've said it more than once, I personally like what Sony did.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-22-2012, 10:29 AM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,077
Default

Oh, Saquist's review reminds me - that Bane ultimately turned out to be nothing more than a henchman was a letdown. He had been built up as much more than that and ultimately all his talk (his seemingly endless talk) amounted to nothing really but smoke and mirrors to Talia's true plan.
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-22-2012, 10:30 AM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,077
Default

I know you do, just observing that they got grief for it beforehand.
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-22-2012, 10:39 AM
samwiseb samwiseb is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,207
Default

They'll always get grief. Once something is established, fans seem unwilling to imagine it could ever be interpreted any other way.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:07 PM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.