The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > A New Show
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2012, 01:20 AM
Rear Admiral

Default A New Show

Do you think there will be a new Star Trek television show down the road anytime soon? My personal opinion is no. It's sad to say it, but I highly doubt it. I also doubt that it is even in the through process. I did hear rumors about this new futuristic Star Trek animated series, but that was from a long time ago. It was proposed a long time ago as well and I guess they are still trying to pitch it to Paramount, but who knows. I think Star Trek will be like it was in the early 80s, and just keep us up to date with the films, rather than have films and a television series.

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable
Old 02-25-2012, 05:34 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quark View Post
I did hear rumors about this new futuristic Star Trek animated series, but that was from a long time ago. It was proposed a long time ago as well and I guess they are still trying to pitch it to Paramount, but who knows.
I know.

It would have been called Star Trek: Final Frontier and it was an idea that was being considered for a new web-animated series for startrek.com following the cancellation of ENT. But in 2006, Star Trek's TV and movie divisions went their separate ways and Final Frontier wound up being one of those ideas that was shelved alongside the aborted Star Trek: The Beginning movie.

Quote:
I think Star Trek will be like it was in the early 80s, and just keep us up to date with the films, rather than have films and a television series.
I wouldn't rule out the possibility of an animated Star Trek series before the decade is out. It would be considerably less expensive to produce than a live-action series and could be put on the CW's Saturday morning cartoon block or even sold to a network like Cartoon Network or the recently-launched The Hub. It'd probably be a show aimed at a younger audience rather than aging Trekkers though.

As far as a live-action series, eh, I definitely wouldn't hold my breath for that one. It could very well be that the success of Star Trek XI torpedoed any chance of live-action Trek coming back to TV for the forseeable future...
Old 02-25-2012, 06:04 AM
Federation Councillor

For a long time now my own belief has been that there will be no live action series until the latter part of the decade at the earliest. Probably at least until the (likely intended by Paramount) trilogy of films from 2009 onwards is established.

To me, this in some way may mirror the 80s but then they do say history repeats!

Even if the current film series makes it to a trilogy or beyond that's my perception. And I also don't believe there is any current genuine interest in making a TV series. Sure, every once in a while a 'proposal' rears it's head but I don't believe CBS is actually currently in the market to buy one.

And in honesty, an animated show doesn't really appeal to me on a personal level. Irrespective of it's age skew.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 02-25-2012, 06:21 AM
Rear Admiral

Very good responses people! You guys are the best!

But yeah, to focus on an animated series, I don't think that would really be considered something we would want to watch. I mean, sure I bet it would be fun and nice to have something with the name Star Trek on it, but at the same time it would be focused more on the kids and less on us and no doubt it will be based in the alternate universe. So, I guess it is safe to say that if there will ever been a live-action series, or anything, it will be online. And "New Voyages" doesn't count in my book. It has to be legit in order for it to be a series.

*However, I do think it is a nice thing for fans to keep it alive through a web series, but at the same time bring us canon!!!!

Fans Expendable
Old 02-25-2012, 06:41 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quark View Post
But yeah, to focus on an animated series, I don't think that would really be considered something we would want to watch. I mean, sure I bet it would be fun and nice to have something with the name Star Trek on it, but at the same time it would be focused more on the kids and less on us and no doubt it will be based in the alternate universe.
I actually think if they did an animated series, it'd be set in its own universe in the way the new Transformers and G.I. Joe cartoons are. Continuity doesn't mean much for kids. They'd probably would go for an even sleeker looking still Constitution-class Enterprise if it looked even kewler to them than the Star Trek XI version.
Quote:
So, I guess it is safe to say that if there will ever been a live-action series, or anything, it will be online.
Personally, I wouldn't put my money on that. There's still cable TV and premium cable--both of which are far more lucrative than online TV. Even first-run syndication really isn't out of the question since I think more local stations would eagerly buy a brand-new Trek series than a totally unknown show with no history/built-in following to it.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:12 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
...I think more local stations would eagerly buy a brand-new Trek series than a totally unknown show with no history/built-in following to it.
You'd think so.

Fans Expendable
Old 02-25-2012, 12:24 PM
Fleet Admiral

I think Trek will return to the TV one day, probably after these films have run their course. I think the TV timeout is actually probably a positive.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:49 PM
Captain

I think Trek on tv is done. People don't watch tv the way they did even 10 years ago.

In my opinion, the only way to do a new series would be on a web network, available on demand, by subscription. But that would require a massive guaranteed viewer base, and the chances of generating enough revenue to make it profitable are slim and none.

To be honest, I tend to think that after this round of movies is completed Trek will have pretty much run its course.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:53 PM
Fleet Admiral

I don't know about that, shows like Battlestar Galactica proved that sci fi can still work on TV if it's interesting.