The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Photo of the Day!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2011, 02:32 PM
Commander

Cool Photo of the Day!

I'm not sure if everyone has seen and shown around this photo yet, forgive me! But I'll toss this out. I really like this one... the filming of the scene is as intense as the scene itself! People are piling up on each other!

http://www.dianahuang.com
Old 11-17-2011, 03:01 PM
Fleet Admiral

Who is this guy, Lon Suder or Spock?
I never understood the supposed greatness of this scene. Marooning fellow officers for insubordination and nearly killing them is not Vulcan, it is psychopathic.

Still beyond me how Nimony decided prostitute himself on his old days and care more about the money than about his integrity. He probably hung out too much with Shatner.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:01 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Spock marooning Kirk was a silly plot device. Nearly killing him was an emotional reaction to losing his home, most of his race, and watching his mother die just before a mouthy underling started belittling him in front of the crew. It was very captivating seeing Spock reacting like a wounded person lashing out in pain and frustration; his human nature should be explored, as well.

Not sure why you felt the need to bash Nimoy, but have it your way.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:34 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianrosey View Post
Spock marooning Kirk was a silly plot device. Nearly killing him was an emotional reaction to losing his home, most of his race, and watching his mother die just before a mouthy underling started belittling him in front of the crew. It was very captivating seeing Spock reacting like a wounded person lashing out in pain and frustration; his human nature should be explored, as well.

Not sure why you felt the need to bash Nimoy, but have it your way.
Then read again what I wrote, the Spock in the script Nimoy got to read has nothing to do with the Spock he has portrayed over years.
Spock marooning Kirk was not just a silly plot device, Spock was cool and acted like a Romulan in this scene. I don't have to quote Frost's Fire and Ice again to make my point, do I?

As you pointed out the other scene is a totally different animal because Spock loses control and resigns command after he realizes what he has done. It is only unbearable in the context of Sarek telling his son to not suppress his nasty emotions. Yeah, tell him to go ape-sh*t like your ancestors such that the audience can wonder how this fellow became more than a clerk on Vulcan.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:37 PM
Federation Councillor

Underneath all that mask of logic Vulcans are quite a few things.................and they ain't all pretty things!

The scene on the bridge is fine and even if the marooning is a stretch it doesn't derail anything for me.

As to Nimoy..............I'd have to figure that he was perfectly aware on the script. It's not like he's Shatner in general. Though, I would likely be interested to hear his opinion and perspective on some of the actions which Spock took in the film. I'm figuring he was able to see it as 'in character'.

courtesy of Saquist

Last edited by kevin : 11-18-2011 at 08:12 AM.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:34 AM
Fleet Admiral

The marooning scene was a bit of stretch for me. That and the instant promotions. Those things were not deal breakers for me though. Even after all this time has passed and I've had time to reflect on the film, I'm still a fan. It gave a dying Trek franchise a much needed shot in the arm, and did more right than it did wrong. At least in my opinion.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:04 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
The marooning scene was a bit of stretch for me. That and the instant promotions.
Thing is, it's not really instant promotions plural - it pretty much applies mostly to Kirk on his own.

Spock was already senior on the ship (if I recall correctly he was First Officer anyway before Pike left him in command and field promoted Kirk in his absence), McCoy was already one of the senior Medical Staff on the ship and took over on the death of the CMO but it's not like he was a nurse before, Chekov and Sulu were where they normally are and simply were there on what seemed to be a standard shift rotation (or filling in for a sick officer) and while I can't remember I don't think Scott and Uhura's ranks were specified, but they didn't all seem to be on the lowest rung.

While it's a biggie for Kirk for some, I think it's one of those things that has been sort of retrospectively amplified incorrectly into being more than it was in the actual film.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 11-18-2011, 08:35 AM
Fleet Admiral

And I liked the bridge scene

Old 11-18-2011, 08:47 AM
Fleet Admiral

I do think that the next film will follow roughly the same formula.