The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > The Next Generation > TNG HD trailer!!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-28-2011, 11:03 AM
NCC-73515's Avatar
NCC-73515 NCC-73515 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Heidelberg, Germany
Posts: 7,229
Default TNG HD trailer!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=av35kFHdS50
__________________


"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-28-2011, 01:44 PM
omegaman's Avatar
omegaman omegaman is offline
Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Penrith NSW Australia
Posts: 4,613
Default

Well… we'd better start saving our pennies…
__________________
TREK IS TREK. WHATEVER THE TIMELINE!

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-28-2011, 02:08 PM
horatio's Avatar
horatio horatio is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,282
Default

I am not paying one penny for this tiny difference:



In the case of TOS it made sense to remake the old effects and clear up the interference on the film. For TNG it does not as the costs are higher and the benefits are smaller.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-29-2011, 09:26 AM
Enterprise Captain's Avatar
Enterprise Captain Enterprise Captain is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto, ON Canada
Posts: 1,070
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
I am not paying one penny for this tiny difference:



In the case of TOS it made sense to remake the old effects and clear up the interference on the film. For TNG it does not as the costs are higher and the benefits are smaller.
At first I said, I wouldn't buy this set unless they do like TOS and include new special effects along with the old ones. Though seeing the comparison shoots now I am intrigued and may reconsider. Maybe it's my 20/20 vision but the difference in clarity is pretty big.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-29-2011, 09:54 AM
samwiseb samwiseb is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,208
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterprise Captain View Post
At first I said, I wouldn't buy this set unless they do like TOS and include new special effects along with the old ones. Though seeing the comparison shoots now I am intrigued and may reconsider. Maybe it's my 20/20 vision but the difference in clarity is pretty big.
I expect the re-compositing will result in finished shots that will appear 'as new' compared to their composited-in-video SD counterparts. They can stitch together the multiple passes digitally, so you don't sacrifice quality when you lay them on top of each other.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-30-2011, 09:29 AM
horatio's Avatar
horatio horatio is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,282
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterprise Captain View Post
At first I said, I wouldn't buy this set unless they do like TOS and include new special effects along with the old ones. Though seeing the comparison shoots now I am intrigued and may reconsider. Maybe it's my 20/20 vision but the difference in clarity is pretty big.
I think that remastering TNG is great for the long-run, not at least because remastering implies that it is treated as classic, as something that is worth to get polished up and preserved.
But it is probably more expensive than remastering TOS, otherwise they wouldn't probe the market via having worked on and releasing merely three episodes.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-30-2011, 11:20 AM
chator's Avatar
chator chator is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,261
Default

Here's another problem though, I want to watch TNG the way I remember it. Remastered is not the way I originally saw the series and though I'm not quite sure how I'd react to a remastered episode. Maybe favorably, maybe not. I went through this with the remastered Robotech cartoon. I bought the Dvds of the series when it was first released by ADV. Later a remastered version was released, I didn't like it, it was too cleaned up plus they changed the theme song and title intro and introduced new sound effects. Well, that killed it for me. A friend of mine couldn't get into TOS remastered because it wasn't the way he remembered watching the episodes as a kid and was buying the Dvds for the naustalgia factor.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-30-2011, 12:25 PM
horatio's Avatar
horatio horatio is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,282
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
Here's another problem though, I want to watch TNG the way I remember it. Remastered is not the way I originally saw the series and though I'm not quite sure how I'd react to a remastered episode. Maybe favorably, maybe not. I went through this with the remastered Robotech cartoon. I bought the Dvds of the series when it was first released by ADV. Later a remastered version was released, I didn't like it, it was too cleaned up plus they changed the theme song and title intro and introduced new sound effects. Well, that killed it for me. A friend of mine couldn't get into TOS remastered because it wasn't the way he remembered watching the episodes as a kid and was buying the Dvds for the naustalgia factor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterprise Captain View Post
I wouldn't want anything less then that quality so a half a$$ed job off it wouldn't be worth it. I do like that they are putting in a lot of effort to restore the original effects in HD though.
That's the dilemma of every remastering/remake. Some want it to be totally new, some want it to be virtually unchanged.
If the second version is meant to overwrite the first one I am for a conservative approach, even if it implies effects that are not state of the art. It worked well for TOS. Nothing worse than effects that stand out and are not in harmony with the rest of the material.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-30-2011, 11:28 AM
Enterprise Captain's Avatar
Enterprise Captain Enterprise Captain is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto, ON Canada
Posts: 1,070
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwiseb View Post
But that's not CBS Digital's work. And not what a TNG remastering project would look like, if they created all-new CG effects at a mere fraction of the time and money used to create effects for a first-run series.
I wouldn't want anything less then that quality so a half a$$ed job off it wouldn't be worth it. I do like that they are putting in a lot of effort to restore the original effects in HD though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
I think that remastering TNG is great for the long-run, not at least because remastering implies that it is treated as classic, as something that is worth to get polished up and preserved.
But it is probably more expensive than remastering TOS, otherwise they wouldn't probe the market via having worked on and releasing merely three episodes.
I'm sure just due to the number of episodes and if I'm correct they didn't have to re-edit the original series just transfer it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
Here's another problem though, I want to watch TNG the way I remember it. Remastered is not the way I originally saw the series and though I'm not quite sure how I'd react to a remastered episode. Maybe favorably, maybe not. I went through this with the remastered Robotech cartoon. I bought the Dvds of the series when it was first released by ADV. Later a remastered version was released, I didn't like it, it was too cleaned up plus they changed the theme song and title intro and introduced new sound effects. Well, that killed it for me. A friend of mine couldn't get into TOS remastered because it wasn't the way he remembered watching the episodes as a kid and was buying the Dvds for the naustalgia factor.
That's why they include both the old and new special effects on the TOS blu-ray set, best of both worlds.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-28-2011, 02:19 PM
Roysten's Avatar
Roysten Roysten is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Yorkshire, England
Posts: 924
Default

After spending around £250 for the TNG DVDs I doubt I'll be getting them, be cool to see if it was much different, but I don't think I could ever justify it.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:21 PM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.