The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Your thoughts on prequel technology
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2008, 09:31 AM
Midshipman

Default Your thoughts on prequel technology

I recently became interested in Star Trek (within the last 2 months) and I've been watching the shows and the movies, while also reading up on the series'. I noticed that a lot of people were turned off by the Enterprise series because of the technology was higher quality than that of TOS or the movies.

Not sure if this is taboo or not on a Star Trek forum but I am going to mention Star Wars as well...their technology in the newer prequels were in a lot of ways superior to the technology in the older movies.

As a huge Star Wars fan and newbie to the Star Trek universe and that of its fan base I would like to know from long time fans/trekkies/trekkers, whatever you consider yourself, what your thoughts on the subject are, because honestly I dont see any analog knobs or switches being in this movie.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:33 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I'm all for new technology. I can't understand why people don't like better technology. I think the SW prequels were way better for that reason, and I sincerely hope ST11 is the same.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:25 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg08 View Post
I'm all for new technology. I can't understand why people don't like better technology.
Because it's not supposed to be better, it's supposed to be older. If someone were to invent a time machine and you were to go back to 1934, you would not expect to see the cars of that era outperforming cars made in 2009. It would be effing stupid.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 01-31-2008, 09:34 AM
Ensign

I think it's important that they have big faster-than-light spaceships, and rayguns and teleporters. All Trek eras have these things.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:35 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

It's a struggle to get a good balance, as we saw with ST:Enterprise. Though only time will tell...
Old 01-31-2008, 09:37 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I thought they did Enterprise pretty well, although it did look just a bit more advanced than TOS. Maybe if they had simplified it just a bit more...
Old 01-31-2008, 09:36 AM
Ensign

With Enterprise, I think they got it right for the most part. It had a good look for the era, its just that it all looked very "sharp" if that makes sense.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:38 AM
Midshipman

A good question And what's it gonna be? Laser guns lik in the Cage? Or phasers? :]
Old 01-31-2008, 09:41 AM
Ensign

I think it's important for fans to keep in mind that the future envisioned back in the '60's is very different from the future envisioned now. And if there is any hope in pulling in new fans to keep the franchise going strong, then yes, things will have to be updated so that the younger generations sitting in the theater don't look at knobs and dials and women making coffee for the captain and go "Wow, that's both stupid AND corny", and then immediately tune out. Yes, it's going to look different because the concept of the future has changed, and I'm sure in 40 years ST XI will look stupid and corny and way off from the future we envision then.

I'm just hoping JJ et al have found a nice balance between the antiseptic look of TNG and the grittiness of the new BSG.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:45 AM
Midshipman

What's most important about Star Trek is the canon continuity within the framework of its characters, events and so forth, not so much the way the technology is expressed. If Abrams were to resort to using the same technology available to Gene Roddenberry 40 years ago, then this upcoming movie, at least visually, would look as dated as TOS and that will kill any chances of this film being a big box office success.

I think JJ has it right. Keep true to the canon, spirit and character of TOS Trek without succumbing to a technological appearance that looks archaic by today's standards.

I have a strong feeling that the Enterprise in this 11th film would be exactly what Gene would have created in 1966 if only the technology were available to him.

I also have no doubt that 40 years from now when the 42nd film of the franchise gets released, that young director will make it with the look and feel that will seem right for its audience's day because our 2008 technology will look like ancient history to them. But, if they then, as I believe Abrams, Orci and Kurtzman will do here, stay true to established canon, the Trek universe as a whole and its central characters, then Star Trek will truly live on into the 24th Century and beyond.