The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Catholic Propaganda on the Enterprise
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2011, 11:27 AM
Commander

Default Catholic Propaganda on the Enterprise

Catholic Propaganda on the Enterprise

Really? Did I miss something?
Old 01-07-2011, 11:52 AM
Fleet Admiral

Thanks for the article, EP, it is not as bad as the title promises.
It doesn't show that Trek is in any way Christian or Catholic. I rather think that it indirectly shows what Trek is a really, simply liberal. Everybody is welcome and that's why one's views, in this case the views of a Catholic dude, are reflected in one way or another in the franchise.
It's also an enlightened franchise and that's why e.g. abortion isn't really an issue. Not because writers fear controversy but because folks in this fictional future are smart enough (and en-smartened by society via free education etc.) to not beget a child when they don't want one.

About the God in TFF, Eliza has made a great point ages ago. If this being really is the Old Testament God then Bones is perfectly right, you don't ask him for his ID because he won't take such impertinence lightly.

The main discourse in Trek about God(s) and religion occured in DS9 and while the key idea of evil institutionalized faith vs. good individual believers is hardly a new point the Prophets are intriguing.
Are they Gods or are they beings who exist outside of time? Does the faith of the Bajorans or the science of the Federation offer the better perspective? Do they help Bajor because they are future Bajorans, the final stage of their evolution?
Old 01-07-2011, 12:25 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
It doesn't show that Trek is in any way Christian or Catholic.
I agree but I believe the writer intended to prove otherwise. His subtitle says "Star Trek is the most consistently pro-Christian and pro-Catholic series in American television history, says lifelong fan Angelo Stagnaro."
Old 01-07-2011, 12:45 PM
Fleet Admiral

Yep but he fails. A few references to the Christian God and the misrepresentation of the sanctity of life or IDIC as something particularly Christian or Catholic isn't a convincing proof.
His error is that he mistakes his believes for those of Trek. I think that he feels himself and his believes mirrored or represented in Trek is closer to the truth and that's the real beauty of Trek.

Take this nicely written passage, substitute 'Christian morality and values' with 'liberalism and enlightment' and it'd be a bit more accurate. One should of course be aware of the limitations of labels and categorizations.

In a time when much of television fare is unreflective of Christian morality and values, it’s encouraging and affirming to have shows that successfully present a kinder and gentler world. A world in which people of different values, backgrounds and perceptions can cooperate. Each offering their uniqueness as a gift to the others. A world in which enemies are ultimately forgiven and learn to cooperate. Infinite diversity in infinite combination, as per the Vulcan mantra.

Now if Catholics or Christians in general would focus more upon Jesus' idea of a community of all people, not just friends but also foes, not just family or the people of Israel but all people, if they would promote this key idea more than focus upon anti-abortion stuff or their God worship (Jesus indirectly says that love of God, self and the other is identical, i.e. God is not a white-bearded lord in the skies but a notion for the community) I'd take the argument that Trek is Christian more seriously. But like this? Nahh.
By the way, the anti-abortionists could also learn something about Christian love from Trek. When you really love somebody you sometimes pull the trigger, like Corby does in What Are Little Girls Made Of.

Last edited by horatio : 01-07-2011 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:32 PM
Fleet Admiral

Love means never having to say: "Phasers on stun!"

Old 01-07-2011, 03:13 PM
Vice Admiral

I'm a Christian and quite proud to say so. And I have seen many Christian references in Star Trek. However, for the most part, Trek has always been purposely ambiguous about the religious standpoint of Earth, humans, and other Federation planets. And, really, that is as it should be. It makes it more entertaining and less like a sermon in every episode.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:20 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
I'm a Christian and quite proud to say so. And I have seen many Christian references in Star Trek. However, for the most part, Trek has always been purposely ambiguous about the religious standpoint of Earth, humans, and other Federation planets. And, really, that is as it should be. It makes it more entertaining and less like a sermon in every episode.
Ditto!

Old 01-07-2011, 07:47 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post

“Abortion does not compute with my philosophy.”-Mulgrew

WOW...I knew she was intelligent. I just didn't know how intelligent she was.
I'm not big on Catholicism but this wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. If I counted how many times I've heard evolutionary, atheistic teaching it would likely far out number the Christian references. It best said that Star Trek tries to incorporate many ideals not just one.

I found a related article with more of Mulgrew and others where possibly this quote came from.
http://www.prolife.com/celeb.htm

Last edited by Saquist : 01-07-2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:11 PM
Fleet Admiral

That guy hasn't seen Who Watches the Watchers

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 01-08-2011, 02:15 AM
Federation Councillor

Trek has always been a little ambigous on the role that religion plays in people's lives in the future - but then it's also not absent from the lives of either humans or alien races either so it's still about if you want to look for it. The early stories on DS9 often had interesting elements of science vs faith when looking at Bajoran religious traditions against the scientific and technological Federation (was it 'In the Hands of the Prophets' that Kira and Keiko clashed over the curriculum of the school on DS9? It was a late season 1 show anyway).

I'm surprised the article writer didn't mention the final backstory of Sisko re the prophets mind you........but I tend to agree with Horatio that the writer of the first article is interpreting certain things within episodes which gel with their own personal beliefs and philosophy and deciding to write from there.

Hey..........we all do that though!

Although Mulgrew's quote is an old one, going back many, many years.

courtesy of Saquist