The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Literature > Novels, Novellas, Short Stories > Inception
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2010, 02:04 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Default Inception

Anybody here plan on buying and reading TOS novel Inception? I know I plan on reading it when it comes out. I'm curious as to how Kirk ment Carol Marcus in which later she ends up having Kirk's child David.I'm also curious as to how Spock ment Lelia Kolimai as we seen in "This Side of Paradsie". I love that episode, and now got curious as to how they ment and all that happened. I would give a better insght to the episode, as also this book would give a better insight to the relationship between Carol Marcus and Kirk we seein TWOK. I think this book would ansawer alot of these question we always wondered about but never heard.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:22 AM
Fleet Admiral

I thought about it. Might pick it up eventually, but I'm not in a rush.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:07 AM
Lieutenant

Oh yeah! I preordered it from Amazon, and it is on the way. I hope it makes it here before I fly back to the mainland....me and Spock at 35,000ft.....
Old 01-22-2010, 11:14 PM
Commander

I might get it. After this movie came out, i suddenly developed an interest in prequel novels set in the Prime Universe.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:51 AM
Fleet Admiral

I've got it pre-ordered on my Kindle for iPhone. It was over a dollar cheaper and no shipping costs! Can't argue with that.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:20 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
I've got it pre-ordered on my Kindle for iPhone. It was over a dollar cheaper and no shipping costs! Can't argue with that.
Thats pretty cool.I have an iPhone too,I might for my phone as well.I'm also gonna buy the book as well.I have devloped a big intrest in TOS books after I saw the movie as well. I have always liked TOS since I was young,but haven't watched the show in years until after this movie came out,and I fell in love with the show all over again. I decieded to buy all three seasons of the show,and just brought back memorires when I was young.It remined me how much I love this show.So now I got a curuiousty for the books, and have been getting them since.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:06 AM
Fleet Admiral

Anyone read it yet? I'm getting around to it...soon.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:49 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
Anyone read it yet? I'm getting around to it...soon.
No,I havent read yet because I couldnt find the book yet. I been looking for the book everywhere since Tuesday. And so far had no such luck finding it! So my only option was to buy it offline on amazon.com, in which I ordered two days ago. I cant belive I couldnt find the book in stores anywhere, when its brand new release! One of the stores said they have it on order, but wont be there until the next week or so. So I just decied to order it offline and just get it that way. It seems I had better luck that way instead of looking forever for the book. I guess since its not a best seller book, they wont have it or get it to whenever they have a shipment. So it could be a week or more before they decide to put it on shelf. These stores around where I live are so slow about putting new stuff out, even its new. So instead of waiting, I just bought it off of amazon.com. At least I wont have to wait forver to get it like I would have to wait forever for it to come in stores!
Old 02-20-2010, 07:57 AM
Ensign

I just got done reading this book. Very well done. You won't be disappointed. Without giving anything away, the authors do a great job of the Spock/Leila meeting and of course the Kirk/Marcus relationship.

Of course the story centers around "Project:Inception", which ultimately leads to the "Genesis". The authors also do a great job of showing how career-driven these characters are.

Great book! I highly recommend it! I finished it in 2 days.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:55 AM
Lieutenant

I'm glad you enjoyed it Scotty971. Maybe I'll go back and read it again one day, but I was disappointed the first time. A large part of the book focuses on other characters that I did not come to care about. That space could have been better used to flesh out the story of the two couples it was supposed to be focused on.

Carol Marcus was portrayed well, however the author skimmed over her pushing Kirk away after finding herself knocked up. It was like a whole chapter was missing- I went back and re-read that part to see if I'd missed something, but I hadn't. It just wasn't in there.

Leila Kalomi was terribly done. She comes across as a lovesick teenager floundering after getting dumped who daydreams her life away- not a confident woman and scientist who is a good match for Spock. My take on The Other Side of Paradise was that Spock was attracted to her and the spores had allowed him to embrace those feelings for her he had buried. I cannot see how he would even look twice at the character in the book. I don't even think Jim 'Anything In A Skirt' Kirk would have bothered.

Anyway, Spock spends his days at the Vulcan Embassy Garden waiting until he can get back on his ship, and Kalomi spends her days there waiting for Spock. He's pretty much in character, but too stiff and cold. We get very little of what is going on in his head. Too bad because there is a wealth of stuff going on..or should be. A missed opportunity to deal with the emotions he has buried.

And the ending is terrible, mirroring the whole plot. You can see what's going to happen a lightyear away. It just fizzles. Sounds harsh, I know, especially when we need good TOS book sales to encourage the publisher. But, I've read far better fan fiction. If I hadn't paid money for it, I would not have bothered finishing it.

Last edited by Kiko Kea : 04-15-2010 at 09:55 AM. Reason: clarity