The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Why NuTrek sucks... so far
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2009, 09:56 AM
Vice Admiral

Default Why NuTrek sucks... so far

Everyone already knows by now that I have very little "love" for NuTrek. I think it was a fun and fast paced space action adventure flick, but poor Trek. I understand it was supposed to introduce non-Trek-fans to the world of Trek and therefore could not get too preachy or waste it's time with a "brainy" story. I get that. I actually like action and adventure. What I don't like is the lame attempt to attach this film to the trek universe through the use of the multi-verse theory and time travel, then the obvious trashing of 40 years of TV and movies.

So many things changed simply for the sake of change. If a non-fan can't tell the difference, why completely throw out what came before? Do sets, effects, and sounds really make or break a movie? WTF is with a $150 film not being able to maintain scale? That's a stupid mistake that many seem to not be bothered by, yet mention a four wheeled vehicle driven by Picard and everyone thinks THAT is stupid!

So... Nutrek sucks because it is Trek only because it is named Trek. It lacks the "soul" of Trek. It lacks the "brain" of Trek. And it lacks everything else that makes fans (like me) feel as if they are in a familar place. Some may say that familiarity is what doomed Trek, but I disagree. Good stories and great plots make or break a movie, not the little things like a thrumming warp core or beam type phasers.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:58 AM
Federation Councillor

I wouldn't go that far. It was not designed to be a rehash of TOS.

I don't agree with everything that was done, but they tried to make a new series out of it.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:06 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
I wouldn't go that far. It was not designed to be a rehash of TOS.

I don't agree with everything that was done, but they tried to make a new series out of it.
I was glad it was NOT a rehash of TOS, but the Trek universe has evolved over the last 40 years. I figured this movie would at least take some aspects (design) from ENT and build on them. Why change phasers? Why make them a "pew, pew, pew" handgun? Was it simply to satisfy the action pop-corn movie goer? Is pew, pew, pew somehow "cooler" than beam type phasers? When I watched NuTrek, I got the feeling JJ wanted to make this movie less "nerdy" and very simple minded. He figured he had to get rid of EVERYTHING that made Trek familiar.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:09 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
I was glad it was NOT a rehash of TOS, but the Trek universe has evolved over the last 40 years. I figured this movie would at least take some aspects (design) from ENT and build on them. Why change phasers? Why make them a "pew, pew, pew" handgun? Was it simply to satisfy the action pop-corn movie goer? Is pew, pew, pew somehow "cooler" than beam type phasers? When I watched NuTrek, I got the feeling JJ wanted to make this movie less "nerdy" and very simple minded. He figured he had to get rid of EVERYTHING that made Trek familiar.
I will lay you odds most of this was done because some focus group liked it.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:11 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
That's my point.

"let's get rid of all the familiar things in Trek and replace them with what sells" That is the gist of it. It's very sad.

If NuTrek had maintained more aspects of past Trek, then I would be fine with this alternate universe BS excuse to tell new stories with characters long "dead"
Old 11-09-2009, 10:16 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
That's my point.

"let's get rid of all the familiar things in Trek and replace them with what sells" That is the gist of it. It's very sad.

If NuTrek had maintained more aspects of past Trek, then I would be fine with this alternate universe BS excuse to tell new stories with characters long "dead"
I assume Paramount made it clear to JJ and the writers this film had better make money, or else.

As I've said a 1,000 times on here, Studios are about making money, not making fans happy.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:09 AM
Commander

Quote:
I think what I heard from the writers is that Star Wars is like Rock'n'Roll, whereas Star Trek is like Classical Music.

They were looking to put a little bit of Rock And Roll into Star Trek.

Not in a literal sense, but in terms of a faster pace and sleeker visuals.

The "pew-pew" phasers actually have precedent in Star Trek, most recently in Nemesis and Star Trek V.

Personally, I'd love to have seen both the long beam AND the rapid bursts, aka the Kelvin at the start of the movie.

But those bolds are cooler visually, since they allow a faster pace (the camera doesn't linger on a long shot of a beam doing it's work), and a more punchy battle scene.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:45 PM
Lieutenant

[quote JJ wanted to make this movie less "nerdy" and very simple minded. He figured he had to get rid of EVERYTHING/quote]
. Well the suits did want to redo trek and it better and ihave read when people were saying that trek is now COOL and nnot nerdy, i never went to see the movie as a new Star trek movie,just a typical hollywood sci fi action movie which happen to have star trek in it's title
Old 11-09-2009, 09:59 AM
Vice Admiral

Yes... yes. I know "soul" and "brain" can be debated till we are blue in the face, but you get my point

edit: Not directed at anyone or any post. I just realized the words I used will be attacked and the definitions argued. Everyone has a different reason for liking Trek. I get it.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:04 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Yes... yes. I know "soul" and "brain" can be debated till we are blue in the face, but you get my point

edit: Not directed at anyone or any post. I just realized the words I used will be attacked and the definitions argued. Everyone has a different reason for liking Trek. I get it.
You gotta admit it was at least better than Star Trek V!