Thread: Orci on canon
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2008, 02:30 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon_Coast_Trekkie View Post
I totally agree with you 100%. However, there is the population of Star Trek fans who think there is no such thing as an "insignificant deatail." And truthfully, those are the people who speak of Star Trek with the loudest voices, and in turn, make it "geeky." Somebody actually said in a Trekmovie.com forum, "If Abrams can't get something as simple as the font right on the hull, or the color of the railing right on the bridge, how can we trust him to get the meaning of Star Trek as a whole?"

It is people like that, who think that you DO need to pay attention to all of those little things, who will be alienated by this movie.

But I want to stress, I agree with you totally. I'm not going to fret if the exact shade of colors aren't matched. I just want a good movie and a good story.

BTW, good SNL reference with the "Kirk's safe combination."
All good points raised, and it underscores the difference between fans (a large group with broad interest levels) and fetishists (a quite small group who require a certain, set pattern to continue deriving pleasure from the material and who strongly resist any change to that pattern).

Certainly both groups deserve to have their say, beyond that it's up to individuals to consider the source when it comes to praise and criticism, I think.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!