View Single Post
Old 02-06-2008, 07:27 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejdog1 View Post
You mean the effects of the TCW DID affect the timeline, and Spock is trying to correct it? If that's the case, why not go back to 2151 and reset things from that point? I mean, who knows, the "real" timeline could've had entirely different circumstances surrounding the Warp program, etc...which is why (in universe) we've never heard of Archer, NX-01, etc...

The question then would be, why would Spock "allow" the NX-01 we saw to remain, when he has to know that wasn't part of the "real" timeline?
This starts to get into Grandfather Paradox stuff, which is the whole trouble with Time Travel Stories. Unless they're written properly, the need to explain backstory can clutter up a good script and have audiences' eyes' glazing over.

Point is: DON'T CLUTTER UP A SCRIPT WITH CANON BACKSTORY!!!

JJ, hopefully, is trying to pull in the new fans with a bangup story. A sentence or two reference to Archer and the NX-01 is about all we can afford before we swing into the plot. In a two-hour movie, you can't waste time explaining the TCW or how Kirk's relationship with Carol couldn't have occured without the presence of Gary Mitchell.

Personally, I like the idea of Star Trek Featurettes: instead of including the launching of 1701 in the film, put it in three minute previews over the Summer. Have Jolene Blalock and Scott Bakula appear at the launching of 1701 as their characters just before Bakula's character punches his ticket.

What I'm trying to get across is that ENT may have been a flawed series, but it's last two seasons were well written enough to establish it as the canonical historical foundation for the entire franchise. Nobody ever understood how we got past Colonel Green's war, Zephram Cochran, and the establishment of the Federation. Further, they did a bang-up job in pointing out how the Mirror Universe was established and how the Sato Dynasty took power with the presence of the U.S.S. Defiant in that reality. B&B did a lot to bury the franchise with Voyager, but they managed to write themselves out of a box with the last two seasons of ENT, imho.

A way should be found to tip the hat to ENT to take the ball from ENT to "Star Trek: Part Deux".