View Single Post
Old 02-04-2008, 07:31 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Bigglesworth View Post
If Abrams, Orci, and Kurtzman are really as big a group of fans as they say they are...

As long as the writers lay off the technobabble, the mainstream audience won't have any more problem picking up on Star Trek's terminology than they had understanding lightsabers and hyperdrive.
Well, your first sentence would cover your last paragraph. TOS was rarely ever about technobabble. And TOS' tech related story elements are (as you indicated) easy enough to follow.

I'll be relatively happy if I don't hear the words/terms "remodulate the _______", "Fire a _______ burst from the main deflector", "...use a ______ particle beam/burst to..." or any of the many other technobabble sentences used in later series.

If they are as big a set of fans as claimed, they understand that how the crew, both as individuals, and together as a team; dealt with problems, is what was at the core of TOS. The Kirk/Spock/McCoy interplay, or the quiet not needing technobabble excellence and efficiency of the rest of the crew in TOS shows that. TOS was the exploration of "The Human Condition" in numerous ways.

To me, that's part of the reason why so many people identify with it, and especially with Kirk, Spock and McCoy, who make up all of the major components of a human psyche; flaws, strengths, weaknesses, emotions, fears, logic and all.

Just my thoughts though... others may have gotten something else out of TOS, and they are no less wrong... I'm hoping that's what Abrams and crew saw in TOS though.