View Single Post
Old 02-04-2008, 06:53 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
I think it could do very well. I don't really know how else to say it, though, but they might have to dumb it down a bit. Not in terms of the story or the depth, but some of the Trek lingo is hard to follow for some. That's a big reason my friends don't watch it; It's hard for them to figure out what's going on with the ship, or what alien people or technology is threatening the crew.

When I watch the show, I can follow along just fine; I understand more of the science on Star Trek than anything I've learned in actual science courses. But I think that would be the only roadblock; Everything else would entertain everyone, I feel.
If Abrams, Orci, and Kurtzman are really as big a group of fans as they say they are, and they've really done their homework, this won't be a problem. The terminology during the TOS years was such that by the end of the episode, Joe Sixpack could understand that warp drive made the ship go fast, phasers were futuristic guns, and Mr. Spock was an alien. And that's all he needed to know, because this week's problems would be solved by our heroes' keen intellects (occasionally with assistance from their weapons and fists), not by channeling the Particle of the Week through the deflector dish.

As long as the writers lay off the technobabble, the mainstream audience won't have any more problem picking up on Star Trek's terminology than they had understanding lightsabers and hyperdrive.