View Single Post
Old 02-03-2008, 06:46 PM
Midshipman

I have hopes for this movie, that it will stick with canon and not be so radicalized that it alienates Trek fans while drawing a new crowd of fans. However, can a Trek fan really be turned off to Trek? Star Trek V: The Search for God, and Nemesis -by some people's accounts, though I honestly like Nemesis- are thought to have been poorly done movies, and I've heard many folks decry these movies, although they've stuck around for a long time to come. I don't think it's possible to completely disrupt a Trek fans desire for Trek, though it may dampen it.

I would like to see this movie re-energize the franchise, but I'd like to see it done in such a way that it neither dampens current fans' love of it all, but it also invites others to join the phenomenon of Star Trek openly.

I know when I go see this movie, I will watch it for the entertainment value, not for the manner in which the canon is portrayed, not to see that every stitch on a uniform is portrayed, that each new actor resembles as closely as possible the former actors. Indeed, if this movie begins the introduction of some new ideas no one's thought of before, but also that fit within the definitions of the franchise, I'm all for it.

To be honest, I would love to see a new D&P game done for this, but I would also love for the MMORPG to be done correctly and released soon (by soon, I mean as soon as the new developers can get their things straight, plus two years).