View Single Post
Old 01-30-2008, 11:09 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty View Post
He died on screen

It's funny how on one hand trek fans want cannon to be paramount (no pun intended) but are willing to let it slide when it suits them

I guess I never understood the term 'Canon'

Quote:
Canon, in the context of a fictional universe, comprises those novels, stories, films, etc., that are considered to be genuine or officially sanctioned, and those events, characters, settings, etc., that are considered to have existence within the fictional universe. In order for a setting to appear cohesive, especially in fictions that contain multiple parts, both creators and audiences sometimes find it useful to define what has and has not "actually happened" in that universe.

Material that is considered canon usually comes from the original source or author of the fictional universe, while (some) spin-offs and adaptations to other media are more likely to be non-canon and fan fiction is almost always non-canon.
Guess I understand sorta, but they could still do it before he dies :P How you get that point to the viewers, I don't know... I'm also not one of those crazed trek fans that want everything to be 100% and freak out about the button being blue and not red or the enterprise being built on earth and not in space... *shrugs* Just a TV show/Movie