View Single Post
Old 04-22-2008, 10:17 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoyagerFan View Post
I always cringe when I see the footage of Bujold as Janeway. She didn't seem to put in any effort at all during her brief performance. She'd almost signed it off before the cameras started to roll. I'm glad Mulgrew was the next choice, she gave a more passionate performance.
What I find more interesting, is that initially, Janeway was going to be male! And, being from the UK, I was even more surprised to hear that Nigel Havers (below) had auditioned for the role!!! I'd pay good money to see the smooth-talking Nigel having a debate with the borg queen on the viewscreen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arutha View Post
I think we mostly don't like her because we know Janeway as she is played by mulgrew, anyone else would simple be out of sinc. She was a great actress butr I agree she was not fit for the role, her acting to... ridgit?
For me it's different. THose lines really had a sense of passion in them...and it's like she didn't get it. She refused to show any emotion other than stark emphasiveness. it was actually quite distrubing to hear her talk about Harry Kim and his mother with absolutely no expression on her face.

She definititely had to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botany Bay View Post
No, I think she just tried to press something through. By playing the character so... "meaningfull" she may have tried to force the producers to make stories that fit the high class of an actress like her. As soon as she realized that the producers dont give a damn she left the show. Its not uncommon that actors try to influence the way a movie or TV-show develops. Seeing her performance and the very negative way how Berman reacts to questions about her, I get the feeling thats exactly what happened here.

In the way: Star Trek sucks, I dont have another offer now, so perhaps I can force the producers to make Voyager a really high art TV show. If not, then to hell with Trek.

Sad enough, I personally think she may not be that wrong about it, because I really dislike Voyager and find it a really numb show. And considering how the franchise developed in the last decade...
Good Observation on her acting.
I sense while Trek didn't break to many award wining performances and dramas...It was quite a statement to put a female in command...even in this day it's not frequently done. I like to think of it as Voyager's or ...Janeway's contribution.