View Single Post
Old 04-03-2008, 07:05 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Yes, in optimal conditions, yes. They were dumb enough to leave with less than a skeleton crew, without major systems working, even on this "milk run."
I am not arguing with them having a skeleton crew. But there were a lot of officers on that bridge. All of which, at that moment, had better knowledge of the layout of that ship.

Quote:
Watch those scenes again. I would assume Starfleet basic layouts of key systems on ships don't get moved radically. Deflector control, is near the deflector, not near the shuttle bay, for example.
Bad Assumption. US Naval vessells layout vary greatly by ship class and though most equipment can likely be found in a similar location on a ship it wont be exactly where it is on another class vessell. I would assume that is more likely.

Quote:
But, as I pointed out before, there was a handy dandy MAP in the Turbolift. Kirk could also ask the computer for extact location after stating his destination. That computer is a blabbermouth...lol.
In a crisis situation, you need someone who knows where the equipment is located exactly...not someone who has to stop and ask for directions.

Quote:
But, who knew How to push? What to push? How to make it work? How to make systems do things they were not designed to do? Kirk? Chekov? Demora Sulu? No. Scotty, with 35+ years Starfleet experience, and experience on Excelcior class ships, or did you not see Star Trek 3?
And what did he do? We have no way of knowing. With your argument, Scotty would have had more knowledge of the ship design that Kirk, probably wrote half the tech manuals. Plus he worked on the Excelsior giving him more knowledge of the specific system that needed modifying and HOW to do it quickly.

Quote:
Well no where on the scenes, before, or afterwards, was there ANY indication of any enginerring officer on the ENT-B. When asked about medical staff, Harriman said "Tuesday.(His responce to most questions after the Emergency started)" I would assume since Scorrty jumped in, there was nobody else qualified.

I agree, in real life, this would NEVER have happened. But this Star Trek...
I am sorry, but with the fuel and source of energy they use being essentially a great big bomb that can blow them up at any moment...I find it really hard to believe they would leave spacedock without someone to closely monitor those engines...especially on a new ship that hasn't done a shakedown cruise.

Quote:
Yes, but it was not a hard thing to do. Looks like a trained monkey could have changed that chip. Getting there was the only obsticle, according to you, and I allready addressed that. Kirk could get there with no difficulty thanks to the MAP and asking the COMPUTER, even en route.
Again, during a crisis...you need someone who just knows where to go, not someone who needs to stop for directions.

Quote:
While this SOUNDS good. In TOS, faced with the same situation, Kirk would have stayed with the bridge also. Why? Because he would know that while this senior officer could command the ship, it was still HIS ship, HIS command, ultimately HIS head if it went wrong.
And that is the only reason that Harriman should have stayed.

Quote:
Kirk affored Harriman that same respect. Look Kirk even is shown thinking about it for a few seconds, before reminding Harriman, that a Capatin belongs on their bridge.
Which means Scotty should have gone. Look, All I am saying is that realisitically if it wasn't for the story necessity, Kirk would not have been the one to be sent to the deflector control room. He was once an Admiral, Commanded starships...didn't do maintenance in decades and only really had a cursory knowledge of where and how. I had to suspend my disbelief that Kirk knew how to do exactly what needed to be done.