View Single Post
Old 04-02-2008, 02:27 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekgeekscott View Post
But in an emergency situation, you would need to send someone who knows exactly where the equipment...not just the room...is. And I doubt Kirk would have knowledge that specific on this particular ship's design.
Yes, in optimal conditions, yes. They were dumb enough to leave with less than a skeleton crew, without major systems working, even on this "milk run."

Watch those scenes again. I would assume Starfleet basic layouts of key systems on ships don't get moved radically. Deflector control, is near the deflector, not near the shuttle bay, for example.

But, as I pointed out before, there was a handy dandy MAP in the Turbolift. Kirk could also ask the computer for extact location after stating his destination. That computer is a blabbermouth...lol.

Quote:
What was Scotty doing to keep the ship together? pushing buttons? Anyone could have done that...
But, who knew How to push? What to push? How to make it work? How to make systems do things they were not designed to do? Kirk? Chekov? Demora Sulu? No. Scotty, with 35+ years Starfleet experience, and experience on Excelcior class ships, or did you not see Star Trek 3?

Quote:
As for not having a chief engineer on board, I seriously doubt they would even do a milk run (which would involve use of the engines) without having an officer on board IN CHARGE of those engines. Having served in the Navy myself, I can say that no US Navy ship is leaving port without an engineering crew.
Well no where on the scenes, before, or afterwards, was there ANY indication of any enginerring officer on the ENT-B. When asked about medical staff, Harriman said "Tuesday.(His responce to most questions after the Emergency started)" I would assume since Scorrty jumped in, there was nobody else qualified.

I agree, in real life, this would NEVER have happened. But this Star Trek...

Quote:
I wont argue with you on that point...but Scotty or Harriman both would have had better knowledge than Kirk would have at that point.
Yes, but it was not a hard thing to do. Looks like a trained monkey could have changed that chip. Getting there was the only obsticle, according to you, and I allready addressed that. Kirk could get there with no difficulty thanks to the MAP and asking the COMPUTER, even en route.

Quote:
You're probably right about Harriman staying on his bridge. But Kirk wasn't the best option. If I had to choose between sending Harriman or Kirk, I would have sent Harriman because of his ship knowledge and left Kirk doing what he always had done best, in command of the ship for that moment.
While this SOUNDS good. In TOS, faced with the same situation, Kirk would have stayed with the bridge also. Why? Because he would know that while this senior officer could command the ship, it was still HIS ship, HIS command, ultimately HIS head if it went wrong.

Kirk affored Harriman that same respect. Look Kirk even is shown thinking about it for a few seconds, before reminding Harriman, that a Capatin belongs on their bridge.