View Single Post
Old 04-02-2008, 12:27 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Some good points. let's examine them.

First-As we know from countless TOS episodes, the senior officer on board can assume Command or do pretty much what they want without much grounds to go on.
Exactly.

Quote:
Second-Kirk being the dilligent senior officer he is would know where basic item/room on any ship would be located. I cannot imagine deflector control is that far off location wise, than it was on his ship.
Besides I am sure he has kept abreast of the latest ship designs. While I am postive he was not as knowlegeable as Harriman on specifics of the ship, I am sure he can generally find his way to major areas. If he was unsure there was a MAP in the Turboilift, like on his ship.
But in an emergency situation, you would need to send someone who knows exactly where the equipment...not just the room...is. And I doubt Kirk would have knowledge that specific on this particular ship's design.

Quote:
Scotty couldn't have gone, he was too busy keeping the ship in one peice in the wave. I would assume for a photo op "milk run" as planned they did not being an Cheif Engineer, or have one yet.
What was Scotty doing to keep the ship together? pushing buttons? Anyone could have done that...

As for not having a chief engineer on board, I seriously doubt they would even do a milk run (which would involve use of the engines) without having an officer on board IN CHARGE of those engines. Having served in the Navy myself, I can say that no US Navy ship is leaving port without an engineering crew.

Quote:
I would assume reversing the polarity of the tractor/deflector beam is fairly easy. Looked that way. As we have seen in many Trek episodes, command people must have a general overveiw of ship operations. i would assume during tours of duty while on his way to becoming a Starship Captain, I would assume he did a tour in deflector control, as he owuld have all departments. Also a 30+ year realtionship with Scotty probably gave him pleant of basic working knowlege.
I wont argue with you on that point...but Scotty or Harriman both would have had better knowledge than Kirk would have at that point.

Quote:
Harriman needed to be on the bridge to command the ship and to oversee whatever plan was implimented, not abandoning his post to save a senoir officer a trip to make a minor change when Kirk was just standing around anyway with no function.
You're probably right about Harriman staying on his bridge. But Kirk wasn't the best option. If I had to choose between sending Harriman or Kirk, I would have sent Harriman because of his ship knowledge and left Kirk doing what he always had done best, in command of the ship for that moment.